Do I HAVE to count calories?

Options

Replies

• NOMORECARS
    NOMORECARS Posts: 156
    Options
    I was just trying to make a point that there will never be a cure for obesity in America because Americans will risk death to avoid any movement which, in itself is a major cause of obesity.

I think it's fair to say a good amount of countries drive equally to the average American. Not all are obese countries. You're 15lbs overweight and don't drive, I'm on the low end of normal and drive. I agree it's dangerous, no doubt, but I don't think it's fair to place blame on our automobiles. Personally, with no research and about 5 minutes of thought (so don't pick) I'd place it on school lunches. It teaches you to eat extremely fast (depending on school size and lines), you can't hardly enjoy the food and it's certainly not long enough to register as full physically. And a child can easily eat 1000 calories just at lunch (estimating mentally, pizza slice, huge cookie, ice cream, soda, milk, vegetable, tots). Odd habits to teach young children that can potentially stick with them for life.
    If you didn't strap children into a tin box each time they leave the house they might get more exercise and not have so much time to sit and eat.

BUT you just said that you can't get obese by eating food...... so either you are saying you can't or you can as long as you don't strap into a tin box..... which by the way I never owned one, and still got obese on food.

My mother on the other hand owned a car for many many years..... she was a whopping 40kg on a 150cm frame. Guess cars are deadly then, considering she died of cancer.
    Most of what children eat IS NOT FOOD. If they only ate food, you are right, they would not be obese. And neither would you be obese if you only ate food. Doritos, Pepsi, Coke, any soft drink, refined sugar, white flour, canola oil, crackers, chips, cookies, biscuits, cake, doughnuts, croissants, danish, most cereals, white rice are just some of the many items you probably eat which are not food. Real food comprises probably less than 10% of the modern American diet which is yummy and addictive but has no nutritional value. Your body is always screaming for nutrition but you never give it any, no matter how much you eat. That is why you can't stop eating. If you ate real food with nutrients in it, your body would soon feel satiated and you would not need to eat huge amounts. I ate an entire package of Chewy Chips Ahoy today so my diet is far from perfect. But I also did almost 4000 calories worth of exercise to even it out. I walked a marathon today and cycled 50 miles. And yes, my bicycle is electric assist, but it has been clinically shown that electric assist still requires 80% as much energy as manual cycling.

You walk a marathon every day?

That is my goal but I only actually make a full one about 5 times per week. Today is a slow day and I only have half so far. My fitbit goal is 392,000 steps per week which is a daily marathon and I usually only make 65% of it in any given week. But I am considered the resident CRAZY because I've never had a car and I said white flour and white sugar are not foods.
  • FunkyTobias
    FunkyTobias Posts: 1,776 Member
    Options
    . But I am considered the resident CRAZY because I've never had a car and I said white flour and white sugar are not foods.

slipper.jpg
  • NOMORECARS
    Options
    WOW, AND THEY CALL ME CRAZY
  • AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    I'm just beginning to try to lose weight, and I think that counting calories might just be more effort/more destructive or discouraging...thoughts?

You DO NOT NEED TO COUNT CALORIES. Eat as much as you can possibly stuff into yourself, just be sure that everything you eat is FOOD. You will be healthy beyond belief in several months. p.s. Doritos and Pepsi is not food. Stay out of bakeries, bakeries do not sell food. Candy stores do not sell food. 90% of your local supermarket shelves are filled with substances which are not food. People can never become obese by eating food.

Absolute worst, most fallacious advice ever. Please do not listen to this. People ABSOLUTELY can and DO get obese by eating "Food". Stick to a calorie deficit, eating anything you want that keeps you full and happy, and you will lose weight.
  • NOMORECARS
    Options
    I'm just beginning to try to lose weight, and I think that counting calories might just be more effort/more destructive or discouraging...thoughts?

You DO NOT NEED TO COUNT CALORIES. Eat as much as you can possibly stuff into yourself, just be sure that everything you eat is FOOD. You will be healthy beyond belief in several months. p.s. Doritos and Pepsi is not food. Stay out of bakeries, bakeries do not sell food. Candy stores do not sell food. 90% of your local supermarket shelves are filled with substances which are not food. People can never become obese by eating food.

Absolute worst, most fallacious advice ever. Please do not listen to this. People ABSOLUTELY can and DO get obese by eating "Food". Stick to a calorie deficit, eating anything you want that keeps you full and happy, and you will lose weight.

If white sugar, white flour and white rice are food then you are entirely correct. Eating these substances is even more fun while lighting gasoline in your tin box.
  • FunkyTobias
    FunkyTobias Posts: 1,776 Member
    Options
    Claims you can't get fat from eating "real food".

Yet needs to walk a ****ing marathon several times/week to maintain weight.

Sounds legit.
  • sloth3toes
    sloth3toes Posts: 2,212 Member
    Options
    Eating these substances is even more fun while lighting gasoline in your tin box.

This is very true.
  • RaggedyPond
    RaggedyPond Posts: 1,487 Member
    Options
    I don't count calories and am still losing weight. I don't walk marathons everyday either.
  • NOMORECARS
    Options
    I don't count calories and am still losing weight. I don't walk marathons everyday either.
    I don't walk to lose weight; I walk because that is what humans are built for, not strapped into a tin box to burn gasoline.
  • NOMORECARS
    Options
    Claims you can't get fat from eating "real food".

Yet needs to walk a ****ing marathon several times/week to maintain weight.

Sounds legit.

I am not trying to maintain or lose any weight and my diet is probably no closer to perfection than anyone else's. I ate an entire package of Chewy Chips Ahoy last night. I can state facts even if I do not adhere to them. My adherence or lack thereof does not make the facts any less factual.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    I don't walk to lose weight; I walk because that is what humans are built for, not strapped into a tin box to burn gasoline.

Actually, in terms of evolutionary traits, man was "built" to think up efficient means to survival, maximizing essential productivity for food energy use. We are inventive because we are "lazy". Even in that we have some social homeostasis built in, you just happen to be the outlier.

Do you bike?
  • NOMORECARS
    Options

Actually, in terms of evolutionary traits, man was "built" to think up efficient means to survival, maximizing essential productivity for food energy use. We are inventive because we are "lazy". Even in that we have some social homeostasis built in, you just happen to be the outlier.

Do you bike?

Yes, I ride an electric bicycle 10,000 miles plus per year and it requires 80% of a regular bicycle pedal effort.

Sorry, but your talk of evolutionary traits sounds like CAR PEOPLE BABBLE to justify their SLOTH. Any thinking, scientific person knows that the theory of evolution is a fairy tale and that Humans were designed for a purpose by an intelligent creator.
  • sloth3toes
    Options
    to justify their SLOTH.

I resemble that remark.

sloth-*****-please.jpg
  • Oi_Sunshine
    Oi_Sunshine Posts: 819 Member
    Options
    to justify their SLOTH.

I resemble that remark.

sloth-*****-please.jpg

Awwww, what a cutie patootie-face! I'm going to follow whatever advice this sloth gives me just because he's so stinkin adorable!
  • EvgeniZyntx
    Options

Do you bike?

Yes, I ride an electric bicycle 10,000 miles plus per year and it requires 80% of a regular bicycle pedal effort.

Sorry, but your talk of evolutionary traits sounds like CAR PEOPLE BABBLE to justify their SLOTH. Any thinking, scientific person knows that the theory of evolution is a fairy tale and that Humans were designed for a purpose by an intelligent creator.

So man was designed not to build cars?

Thou shalt go on foot and on a bike and pedal at 80% effort.
  • michellemybelll
    michellemybelll Posts: 2,228 Member
    Options

^^^ this poster has to be one of the bigger idiots i've seen around these parts. lol.
  • Nicolee_2014
    Nicolee_2014 Posts: 1,572 Member
    Options
    You don't HAVE to do anything. Keep doing what ever you have been doing, clearly it works for you? :laugh:
  • sloth3toes
    Options
    to justify their SLOTH.

I resemble that remark.

sloth-*****-please.jpg

Awwww, what a cutie patootie-face! I'm going to follow whatever advice this sloth gives me just because he's so stinkin adorable!

Everybody loves a sloth. Except for Bill, apparently.

11719215cd17c3b830f3c10828530099.jpg
  • EvgeniZyntx
    Options
    Looks like a happy sloth.
  • Joehenny
    Joehenny Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options

full potato