Is it good to weift lifting before breakfast?

Options

Replies

• MityMax96
    MityMax96 Posts: 5,778 Member
    Options
    Says who? Most recent research says it has an affect. For optimal growth/recovery there should be some form of nutrition before and if not before then it's even more important to have it soon after. Not essential but for optimum results, and who wouldn't want optimal results?!

I would say only if you are getting on stage or are some form of extreme athlete.

For most average Joes......
    You will be fine...
    Just consume BCAA's to protect your muscles.
  • KayBallin
    KayBallin Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    On week days I lift from 4:30 am - 5:45 am. I don't have breakfast until 8:30 am. On the weekends, I may have a banana and peanut butter pre-lifting since I get to the gym a bit later (9 am ish) but I don't notice any significant difference.
  • sc003ro
    sc003ro Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    I see much better gains as far as fat loss from lifting int he morning....I can do the exact same workout at night and not get the same ...

I go at 5 am...like someone said it is the only part of the day I can relax and feel like I have no other place to be.....

If I am hungry I will eat some fruit but most of the time it is just a coffee....
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    Says who? Most recent research says it has an affect. For optimal growth/recovery there should be some form of nutrition before and if not before then it's even more important to have it soon after. Not essential but for optimum results, and who wouldn't want optimal results?!
    99% of people don't actually need optimum results - they just need to eat, train and rest properly when it suits them and where it fits into their daily life. There's too much stress about trying to hit the last couple of percent when most people just need to make sure they get the basics right. Don't sweat the small stuff.

^^ That.
  • Leonidas_meets_Spartacus
    Leonidas_meets_Spartacus Posts: 6,198 Member
    Options
    I do both based on what fits in to my life style. I don't see big difference either ways.
  • rodduz
    rodduz Posts: 251 Member
    Options

I would say only if you are getting on stage or are some form of extreme athlete.

You will be fine...

Why BCAAs, might as well have a whey shake if you're going to have anything at all.
  • rodduz
    rodduz Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    99% of people don't actually need optimum results - they just need to eat, train and rest properly when it suits them and where it fits into their daily life. There's too much stress about trying to hit the last couple of percent when most people just need to make sure they get the basics right. Don't sweat the small stuff.

^^ That.

Agreed but we're talking about simply swigging a whey shake before training, hardly difficult and it helps so just do it, much easier and carries benefit, to all.
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options

I personally don't eat til after my workout, so that is around 1pm....
    And I finish eating around 8pm...
    Workout at 1130 am

I am in awe of your eating schedule!

Yep, just Intermittent Fasting, LeanGains protocol

It think she was just taking the piss out of you. From the way it's worded, it sounds like continuous eating from 1pm to 8pm. :wink:
  • 1911JR
    1911JR Posts: 276
    Options
    Weight (weift) lifting is most beneficial in the evening

Says who?

When I lift, it's predominantly in the mornings before breakfast, with nothing more than a cup of coffee in my tummy.

Same here, but water instead. Personally I don`t like to lift with food in my belly.

But the truth is, do whatever is best for you. And fits in with your life most comfortable. If you feel that you should get up in the middle of the night and bang out deadlifts, get up and do it! Who cares what some study shows.
  • KseRz
    KseRz Posts: 980 Member
    Options

You will be fine...

Why BCAAs, might as well have a whey shake if you're going to have anything at all.

"Taking protein (specifically BCAAs) alone before a workout is extremely beneficial during a low-carb diet. The consumption of pre-workout BCAAs, especially when glycogen levels are low (as they are during a low-carb diet), leads to an increase in fat oxidation (fat burning) during high-intensity exercise like interval training or metabolic resistance training."

"Provided that you're getting adequate dietary protein throughout the day, I recommend BCAAs pre-workout. Their free form offers much faster absorption and uptake, which means your blood amino levels will be high when you hit the training floor."

-- Mike Roussell, Ph.D.
  • KseRz
    KseRz Posts: 980 Member
    Options

You will be fine...

"Taking protein (specifically BCAAs) alone before a workout is extremely beneficial during a low-carb diet. The consumption of pre-workout BCAAs, especially when glycogen levels are low (as they are during a low-carb diet), leads to an increase in fat oxidation (fat burning) during high-intensity exercise like interval training or metabolic resistance training."

"Provided that you're getting adequate dietary protein throughout the day, I recommend BCAAs pre-workout. Their free form offers much faster absorption and uptake, which means your blood amino levels will be high when you hit the training floor."

-- Mike Roussell, Ph.D.

Then again, playing Devil's Advocate on this post, if you are getting adequate protein throughout the day, then it doesnt matter.
  • SideSteel
    Options

You will be fine...

-- Mike Roussell, Ph.D.

Your blood amino acid levels would also be high when you hit the training floor if you took whey protein as the previous poster stated.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options

You will be fine...

-- Mike Roussell, Ph.D.

Then again, playing Devil's Advocate on this post, if you are getting adequate protein throughout the day, then it doesnt matter.

amd lulz on the BCAA's and low carb.

or you could just get some sweet potatoes and stop taking extra sups.

But that's just my preference.

As for working fasted or not- for the average person it's more important to do what fits in your schedule and makes your body happy.

For the first 5-7 days of working out fasted- I'll get nauseous with any sort of high intensity. Lifting i'm moderate at- but I prefer t have a snack 45 minutes in advance of my workouts. I just feel like I have a better lift.- but once I get used to working out fasted- I'm fine with it.

This is definitely one of those "do what works for you" unless you're at the top end of your lifting or competing.
  • _lyndseybrooke_
    _lyndseybrooke_ Posts: 2,561 Member
    Options
    I lift before breakfast - at 5:15AM. I found I was getting nauseous during my workouts, so I now eat a Quest bar before I work out. Afterward, I have my protein shake and then, about an hour later, I eat my breakfast (usually oatmeal). On lifting days, I eat about 700 calories before lunch.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options

^^ That.

Agreed but we're talking about simply swigging a whey shake before training, hardly difficult and it helps so just do it, much easier and carries benefit, to all.

dude, you beach body coach is wrong. there is no benefit in eating directly before a work out... and different side of the same coin, there is no drawback to eating before a work out.

if a person finds themselves nauseas during an early work out, then they would probably benefit from eating something. if they can power through it, then there is no reason to eat before a work out.

it's all a matter of personal preference.
  • SideSteel
    Options

^^ That.

Not necessarily.

For example if someone is under the impression that they must drink that whey protein after a workout and this causes them to purchase whey protein when they would have just gone home and eaten a mixed meal within a few hours of training then I'd argue that it's an important distinction to make.

Even something as simple as "drink post workout whey protein" can effect adherence on some level.

If it were monumentally important I'd consider it valid blanket advice, but it's marginally important and only in certain contexts.
  • ahamm002
    ahamm002 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    The eating thing after a workout is a myth. I used to IF and workout at 4am and not eat until noon. Yes, you can do it. It's quite easy.

Actually it's not a myth. Even Alan Aragon had to change his stance on that: http://www.jissn.com/content/10/1/5

Basically there is a pretty long "anabolic window." You usually don't have to worry about it as long as you're eating plenty of protein throughout the day, but you should worry about it if you're doing IF. How much the "anabolic window" actually matters to the average person doing resistance training is certainly up for debate. But given how much effort we put in at the gym, why hinder yourself when protein shakes are so easy?
  • SideSteel
    Options
    The eating thing after a workout is a myth. I used to IF and workout at 4am and not eat until noon. Yes, you can do it. It's quite easy.

Actually it's not a myth. Even Alan Aragon had to change his stance on that: http://www.jissn.com/content/10/1/5

Basically there is a pretty long "anabolic window." You usually don't have to worry about it as long as you're eating plenty of protein throughout the day, but you should worry about it if you're doing IF. How much the "anabolic window" actually matters to the average person doing resistance training is certainly up for debate. But given how much effort we put in at the gym, why hinder yourself when protein shakes are so easy?

I don't believe Alan changed his stance on this. At least I've never recalled him saying that peri-workout nutrition is irrelevant. He's discussed how it pales in comparison to total nutrient intake, and everyone else who reads his material then made that grey area into a black and white by saying "it's irrelevant".
  • mustgetmuscles1
    mustgetmuscles1 Posts: 3,346 Member
    Options
    Pretty awesome chart on nutrient timing.

http://www.precisionnutrition.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/nutrient-timing-table_r4-01.png

I agree with the others that say it wont make a significant difference when you work out or when you eat as long as it does not effect your workout quality.

My workouts are much better if I eat about an hour before but some people like to lift fasted. Just try it and see what works for you.