First Half Marathon: weight and time?

Options

Replies

• ccather
    ccather Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I feel compelled to rep the fat-n-slow runners! I ran my first half in '12 at about 218lbs and I finished in my goal of under three hours with a time of 2:58:58. I've since run 3 more half's this year and my time has bee right around the three hour mark still. I've actually improved my running time, but have lost ground in my bladder retention. I'd be -5 minutes at least if I didn't have to stop to pee every darned time!!

If you should require some motivation, find a local half and hang out at the finish line about 3 hours after gun time. There are bunches of people still finishing. Folks that likely don't fit the traditional runner model, but they're out there getting it done.

Set *your* goals and run *your* race. The rest is irrelevant!
  • umer76
    umer76 Posts: 1,272 Member
    Options
    I feel compelled to rep the fat-n-slow runners! I ran my first half in '12 at about 218lbs and I finished in my goal of under three hours with a time of 2:58:58. I've since run 3 more half's this year and my time has bee right around the three hour mark still. I've actually improved my running time, but have lost ground in my bladder retention. I'd be -5 minutes at least if I didn't have to stop to pee every darned time!!

If you should require some motivation, find a local half and hang out at the finish line about 3 hours after gun time. There are bunches of people still finishing. Folks that likely don't fit the traditional runner model, but they're out there getting it done.

Set *your* goals and run *your* race. The rest is irrelevant!
    Yes I am going to run my race because I cannot afford to start competing with someone and then ultimately get out of breath too early.
  • Chain_Ring
    Chain_Ring Posts: 753 Member
    Options
    170 lbs. 1:54. Congrats on signing up, man. That's badass. Kill it!
  • Zomoniac
    Zomoniac Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    Did my first in May 2012, weighed 80kg or so, 01:55:56 chip time.
  • JTick
    JTick Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options
    I was 188 lbs, and did it in 2:55. It was incredibly hilly though...my next half after that was flat and I pulled about 15 mins off my time.
  • kristy6ward
    kristy6ward Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    Started running October of 2012, finished c25k in February 2013, ran first quarter marathon(6.55) in August in 1:11:26 and just contintued that training for my first half in October for a total of 21 weeks of training. Before the race, the furthest distance I had accomplished was 11 miles.

I weighed 185 lbs and finished in 2:26.
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    I am 5'10" and was roughly 175-180 when I ran my first in 2011, and ran a 2:28. Three years later, down to 155 and ran 1:36. Many more variables including knowledge and fitness to consider as well, but weight shouldn't be discounted.
  • _Josee_
    _Josee_ Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    I'm am 5'6'' and was 135 lbs when I ran my first half marathon in Sept. 2013 in 2:06. I ran my second one in April. 2014, at 128 lbs, in 1:45.

In my case, weight probably didn't change anything. It was the training and fitness level that made a difference.
  • Sirinya55
    Sirinya55 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Just did my first one yesterday. 5'5 125lbs 1:57:59
  • vmclach
    vmclach Posts: 670 Member
    Options
    It wasn't in a race but

135 pounds 1:50
  • bluefox9er
    bluefox9er Posts: 2,917 Member
    Options
    Iv'e never runs competitive half, but I was 185 lbs when I ran my first half marathon as a training run for a full marathon and timed in around 2 hrs 16 mins
  • thavoice
    thavoice Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    Weight was probably 205 or so and ran it is 1:40. It is more about the running and conditioning than the weight. There were many, many skinny people who I just passed by because of the training I had put into the races.

Now being lighter would e helpful on my knees and legs, AND ALL OTHER THINGS BEING EQUAL, being a good deal lighter will get ya a better time.
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    I trained for 4 months as a new runner - right about the end of my first year running. I was 175 and finished in 2:45.
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    I ran my 1st and 2nd half marathons last year. I was 52 years old, weighed 188 pounds. My first 1/2 time was 2:30:59 and the second was 2:59:10, during the second I developed a bad blister on the ball of my foot, it bled quite a bit and slowed me down from the pain.
    You have done great to finish the race. I am using anti-blisters socks to tackle the blisters. These socks really work.

Try putting body glide on the bottoms of your feet as well.
  • timeasterday
    timeasterday Posts: 1,368 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'10" and weighed 155 at my first half where I finished in 1:53.
  • Legs_McGee
    Legs_McGee Posts: 845 Member
    Options
    I'm guessing I weighed in the mid 140s. My finish time was 2:17
  • _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    Options
    My first official race was 1:58:22 and I was about 207 lbs. I believe. Freaking monsoon rainstorm the first 8 miles and there was lots and lots of running in ankle deep water.

259gXpiTf0uBgntBU9deSynZ.jpg
  • mojohowitz
    mojohowitz Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    First half: 6'5" 225 2h25m
  • spicegeek
    spicegeek Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    nor sure what I weighed - around 200 lbs I guess - 2 hours 40 mins I think
  • julie_emma1
    julie_emma1 Posts: 146
    Options
    First one was in 2012 and I weighed about 140 lb. Finished in 2:12. Just completed my second one this month and finished in 1:56 and I now weigh about 125 lb. As others have said, fitness and training played a large part in improving my time, but i think the weight loss was important too. Good luck!!