Blisters. :(

Options
I've recently started running/walking outdoors more regularly, and have been aiming for 1-2 miles per day multiple times per week.
My feet are absolutely COVERED in blisters. I've gotten four bad ones in the past 48 hours. One of them was right on the end of my big toe near my nail, and it was very painful to even have slight pressure on it. Now I have one forming on the sole of my foot.

What's the best way to avoid these, or treat the ones I already have?

Replies

• No_excuses_nikki
    No_excuses_nikki Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Maybe look into getting new shoes...
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    Yeah I would look into getting fitted for some proper running/jogging shoes.....
  • missiontofitness
    missiontofitness Posts: 4,074 Member
    Options

These are surprisingly pretty new. I'm wondering if they haven't been broken in well yet.
    Maybe buying some thick socks could help?
  • hermann341
    hermann341 Posts: 443 Member
    Options
    Get fitted for shoes at a running store. They'll measure your feet (seated and standing if they're doing it right) and check your stride and gait. Get performance socks (the wicking kind - arch support is good, too), as cotton is more abrasive, especially when wet. While waiting for the blisters to heal, cover them with moleskin.
  • spicegeek
    spicegeek Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    good shoes AND goos socks - I love wright socks double layer - never had a blister with those

to treat your current blisters - pad them so they are not getting rubbed any more - any that have broken treat with newskin
  • mojohowitz
    mojohowitz Posts: 900 Member
    Options

These are surprisingly pretty new. I'm wondering if they haven't been broken in well yet.
    Maybe buying some thick socks could help?

They are the wrong shoes for your feet. Running shoes should NEVER require a breaking in period. Period. People can call me a liar, accuse me of bro-science, call me special snowflake. I don't care. No breaking-in required. I have been through 41 pairs of running shoes in the last 11 years with no blisters.

Get to a running specialty store and get fitted. Be prepared for some sticker shock.

http://www.runnersworld.com/shoe-finder/shoe-advisor
  • lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    Options
    soak your feet in epsome salt and super hot water, and then put second skin or mole skin on them before you go walking again. I also like to wear 2 pairs of white socks to get extra cushion. Your feet will eventually callus, but until then you need to take care of them. DON'T POP THE BLISTERS!
  • Ronni66
    Ronni66 Posts: 43
    Options
    No need to break the bank on this lol

Like everyone else has said...shoes and socks are the culprit. If they do not fit snug they will rub with each step and give you blisters. Make sure your socks are cotton and absorb sweat.

I don't think you need to go spend a butt ton of money at a specialty store for running shoes unless you have that kind of cash to burn then yes, do that. But you can get some good running shoes without spending a fortune. A good brand is Saucony Running shoes.

They range from around $50.00 to $ 100.00, sometimes a bit more. I got my daughter who does cross country a pair at on sale for $60 bucks and she loves them. She wears light cotton socks that have padding in certain spots and says that she never gets blisters and the shoes are not only durable but comfy. I have a pair too , Saucony stratos and have lasted me forever!!

Anyway, heal those blisters before going running again and make sure to get those shoes ! When buying make sure they do not slip around on heels , sides or hit the toes..they should feel one with your foot. Also not too snug , when your feet heat up from running they will swell slightly and you need room for that and a bit of ventilation.

Hope this helped! Good luck!
  • BigT555
    BigT555 Posts: 2,067 Member
    Options
    on top of what everyone else said, look into moleskin for those blisters in the meantime. its like a leathery material that you put over the blister and protects it while you do whatever
  • bc2ct
    bc2ct Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    Good shoes & good socks should do the trick. Try drying out those blisters and rocking some moleskin in the meantime. I'm a rower so blister care is something of an art - form for me (google "rower hands" if you want to know why). It can be quite painful but they will heal, especially if you leave them uncouvered and let them dry out over night.
  • JustSomeEm
    JustSomeEm Posts: 20,222 MFP Moderator
    Options
    You've already been told about the shoes, so I'll just add "I hope they heal quickly", and don't let it sideline you too long. :)
  • amberj32
    amberj32 Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    Definitely good socks AND good shoes!! I spent about over $120 for my New Balance running shoes. I didn't have to break them in. Also, I do a lot of walking at Disneyland and it helps me if I put vaseline on my feet too.
  • Cathalain
    Cathalain Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    They are the wrong shoes for your feet. Running shoes should NEVER require a breaking in period. Period. People can call me a liar, accuse me of bro-science, call me special snowflake. I don't care. No breaking-in required.

The above poster is correct. I have always, without fail, gotten blisters on my feet with new shoes - except for the pair I have now, and I bought those at a specialty running shop. No blisters - ever.

Get professionally fitted. Prepare to pay the equivalent of your first-born. And then enjoy the hell out of them, because you will.
  • missiontofitness
    Options

Like everyone else has said...shoes and socks are the culprit. If they do not fit snug they will rub with each step and give you blisters. Make sure your socks are cotton and absorb sweat.

I don't think you need to go spend a butt ton of money at a specialty store for running shoes unless you have that kind of cash to burn then yes, do that. But you can get some good running shoes without spending a fortune. A good brand is Saucony Running shoes.

They range from around $50.00 to $ 100.00, sometimes a bit more. I got my daughter who does cross country a pair at on sale for $60 bucks and she loves them. She wears light cotton socks that have padding in certain spots and says that she never gets blisters and the shoes are not only durable but comfy. I have a pair too , Saucony stratos and have lasted me forever!!

Anyway, heal those blisters before going running again and make sure to get those shoes ! When buying make sure they do not slip around on heels , sides or hit the toes..they should feel one with your foot. Also not too snug , when your feet heat up from running they will swell slightly and you need room for that and a bit of ventilation.

Hope this helped! Good luck!

That's not too shabby actually...
    I was afraid this was gonna go in the hundreds of dollars, based on previous posts! Unfortunately I'm a grad student, so books/food/paying for school takes priority over breaking the bank in running shoes, lol.

Thank you so much for your help and advice! I'll definitely look into that brand.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    IMHO, good socks are more important to preventing blisters than good shoes. Make sure you get some that are made for activity so that they wick moisture away. Thorlos makes some really good lightweight ones but I am partial to SmartWool or several types that Wigwam makes. No need to break the bank, just head over to any sporting goods store like ****'s or Gander Mountain or discount places like Fleet Farm and Tractor Supply.

Most important: STAY AWAY FROM 100% COTTON !
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    Also adding to the not needing to break in shoes. They told me at the running store that the right shoe should almost feel like a slipper - you will not need to break it in. And really - with the huge selection available, why not try on a bunch to find the best one for you, right?

Socks also make a difference. It's not about the price, either - it's about the right sock for you. Most runner avoid cotton socks, because of blisters. I can't run in them, even though I wear ONLY cotton socks at all other times. I also can't run in bamboo socks - those gave me the worst blisters. I had to go to a 'twin skin' sock, which has two thin layers, and that has solved all my friction issues as far as socks go.
  • Keeta83
    Keeta83 Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    On my last round of purchasing new runners I made the mistake of wearing socks that didn't breath well and after my first run in them I found myself with 2 big blisters. I made sure I had better socks after that and though it sounds a little crazy I used duct tape over the 2 blisters (band aid in between) until they healed otherwise I would have had to wait it out and not run!
  • mojohowitz
    mojohowitz Posts: 900 Member
    Options

There is a bit more to it than just offering up a brand name.

Are you a pronator, neutral or something else?
    Low arch or high arch?
    Where does your heel strike?
    Do you require a wider toebox?
    Do you require stability, cushioning, etc.

These questions are not just for marathoners. I started running with off the rack shoes and never got past two miles. It was only after I went to a specialty store, had my gait analyzed and got the correct shoes that my mileage jumped dramatically. In the following weeks I was up to six miles with no blisters, pain or misery.

If you are lucky you may have a pretty normal foot and not have to pay a great deal. However, if you don't know about what goes into buying the running shoe you will have to deal with department store salespeople more interested in steering you into a $145 pair of Brooks when an $70 pair of Asics will do. For the most part, specialty running stores want you to come back so they will take some time to help you understand your needs and help you with them.

Ok. I will put my soapbox away now.
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    Shoes obviously...but what KIND of sock are you running with? If they are cotton then that is a BIG culprit right there. Cotton socks + running = no no! Invest in some good quality running socks...Features, Smartwick, Balega, etc...
  • missiontofitness
    Options
    Shoes obviously...but what KIND of sock are you running with? If they are cotton then that is a BIG culprit right there. Cotton socks + running = no no! Invest in some good quality running socks...Features, Smartwick, Balega, etc...

Definitely never heard of those brands; but I'll look into it!
    I had no idea cotton was bad to run with.