Five Reasons Why This Dietitian Hates Calorie-Tracking Apps

Options
Deadlay
Deadlay Posts: 135 Member
From the Huffington Post. Interesting article and I have my own opinion but I just put this out for people to read and come to their own conclusion. I'm not going to debate it because this is an internet forum and any debate on it will digress into an argument about cats or whether Han Solo actually shot first.

1. Your body doesn't work like that.

Calories from Oreos and calories from chicken breast aren't metabolized the same way after you eat them, and therefore the calories absorbed differ between the two foods (and between all foods). Yes, the tracker does measure other things too, but its primary measurement is calories taken in. Technically, you can eat your 1400 calories a day in total crap, and the calorie tracker doesn't know any better because to it, a calorie is a calorie and it will still congratulate you for being within your calorie range. Too bad for you that your body knows better, and good luck trying to fool it. The whole thing is mostly a guessing game anyhow -- given that even the nutrition labels on foods are sometimes off up to 15 per cent in calories, how in the world does a person accurately record the calories of everything they eat - especially in restaurants, from unlabeled items, and dishes that other people make? A relaxing, fun meal with friends in a great restaurant can become riddled with angst because of the fear of going into the 'red' zone in the app. How fun is that?

2. You can lose your hunger cues.

Some people, upon learning that they have used up their calorie allowance for the day, are instantly fake-hungry. As in, psychologically, not physiologically, hungry because they know that food is off limits. It's the same when the tracker shows a few calories left at the end of the day: some of us would feel compelled to consume them, even if we weren't hungry. Hunger cues were given to us by nature for a reason. Calorie tracker apps have a bad way of messing with them.

3. Exercise doesn't erase a day of poor choices.

Some apps give you a 'net calories' figure, which are the calories left after the app subtracts the calories burned from all sorts of activities. These 'net calories' are the only ones that count towards your daily calorie total. I hate to say it, but that's the epitome of oversimplification. You can't eat a crap diet (or massive amounts of food in general) and then burn the calories off like that, it's just not the way things happen. If you don't believe me, look up 'gaining weight while training for a marathon'. At some point, you've got to stop eating so much, even if you're doing a crazy amount of activity.

4. Predictions made by calorie counting apps may cause you to want to chuck your phone at the wall.

How in the world does the app know what you're going to weigh in a month if you continue eating as you did that day? Does it know the inner workings of your metabolic rate? Does it have a crystal ball? Who knows, but some apps sure feel confident about predicting massive gain or loss of weight based on one day of eating, and those random predictions sure make some people feel anxious as hell. That's not healthy, that's totally faulty.

5. Constantly measuring and recording everything you eat can easily slip into obsessive behavior.

Eating smart does include knowing what you're putting in your mouth and understanding that some foods are more calorie dense than others, so I'm not in any way suggesting that people don't educate themselves about the food they eat and the situations and times and reasons, if you will, that they eat it. I am, however, against the long-term tracking of calories because it can become obsessive, especially if you have an obsessive-type personality. Don't get caught.

This all being said, some people love these apps and do well with them. I would say that if you think they're great, go ahead and use them. In my practice, however, I'm going to err on the side of safety and not recommend them, because I never know who will take them to the extreme. And extreme is very hard to come down from.

http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/abby-langer/calorie-tracking_b_5428908.html

Replies

• richardheath
    richardheath Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    Meh. Sounds like an angry rant from someone who couldn't actually figure out how to use something like MFP to lose weight. A calorie counter is just a tool. You still have to do the hard work yourself.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    That article actually rings pretty true for me. I have had much better success by listen to my body's cues than with tracking.
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    From the Huffington Post. Interesting article and I have my own opinion but I just put this out for people to read and come to their own conclusion. I'm not going to debate it because this is an internet forum and any debate on it will digress into an argument about cats or whether Han Solo actually shot first.

1. Your body doesn't work like that.

Calories from Oreos and calories from chicken breast aren't metabolized the same way after you eat them, and therefore the calories absorbed differ between the two foods (and between all foods). Yes, the tracker does measure other things too, but its primary measurement is calories taken in. Technically, you can eat your 1400 calories a day in total crap, and the calorie tracker doesn't know any better because to it, a calorie is a calorie and it will still congratulate you for being within your calorie range. Too bad for you that your body knows better, and good luck trying to fool it. The whole thing is mostly a guessing game anyhow -- given that even the nutrition labels on foods are sometimes off up to 15 per cent in calories, how in the world does a person accurately record the calories of everything they eat - especially in restaurants, from unlabeled items, and dishes that other people make? A relaxing, fun meal with friends in a great restaurant can become riddled with angst because of the fear of going into the 'red' zone in the app. How fun is that?

2. You can lose your hunger cues.

Some people, upon learning that they have used up their calorie allowance for the day, are instantly fake-hungry. As in, psychologically, not physiologically, hungry because they know that food is off limits. It's the same when the tracker shows a few calories left at the end of the day: some of us would feel compelled to consume them, even if we weren't hungry. Hunger cues were given to us by nature for a reason. Calorie tracker apps have a bad way of messing with them.

3. Exercise doesn't erase a day of poor choices.

Some apps give you a 'net calories' figure, which are the calories left after the app subtracts the calories burned from all sorts of activities. These 'net calories' are the only ones that count towards your daily calorie total. I hate to say it, but that's the epitome of oversimplification. You can't eat a crap diet (or massive amounts of food in general) and then burn the calories off like that, it's just not the way things happen. If you don't believe me, look up 'gaining weight while training for a marathon'. At some point, you've got to stop eating so much, even if you're doing a crazy amount of activity.

4. Predictions made by calorie counting apps may cause you to want to chuck your phone at the wall.

How in the world does the app know what you're going to weigh in a month if you continue eating as you did that day? Does it know the inner workings of your metabolic rate? Does it have a crystal ball? Who knows, but some apps sure feel confident about predicting massive gain or loss of weight based on one day of eating, and those random predictions sure make some people feel anxious as hell. That's not healthy, that's totally faulty.

5. Constantly measuring and recording everything you eat can easily slip into obsessive behavior.

Eating smart does include knowing what you're putting in your mouth and understanding that some foods are more calorie dense than others, so I'm not in any way suggesting that people don't educate themselves about the food they eat and the situations and times and reasons, if you will, that they eat it. I am, however, against the long-term tracking of calories because it can become obsessive, especially if you have an obsessive-type personality. Don't get caught.

This all being said, some people love these apps and do well with them. I would say that if you think they're great, go ahead and use them. In my practice, however, I'm going to err on the side of safety and not recommend them, because I never know who will take them to the extreme. And extreme is very hard to come down from.

http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/abby-langer/calorie-tracking_b_5428908.html

My answer to this is that sane people of average intelligence shouldn't have difficulty with any of this.

I hesitate to speculate on the proportion of them in the population.
  • CoolDad67
    CoolDad67 Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    Like a previous poster said, it's just a tool.

I use the tool to help hold me accountable and to make me think about what I'm putting in my mouth.

If used properly, any tool can be used to do the job it's made for. If used incorrectly, the tool will just make a mess.

BTW, Han Solo's cat shot first. :tongue:
  • likitisplit
    Options

BTW, Han Solo's cat shot first. :tongue:

Wrong.

...these are not the robots that you seek...
  • Fiercely_Me
    Fiercely_Me Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    Criticizing calorie tracking is one thing, but not providing alternative solutions is far from helpful.
  • ValGogo
    ValGogo Posts: 2,168 Member
    Options

I agree with this. When it becomes obsessive, it's just not fun anymore.
  • ValGogo
    ValGogo Posts: 2,168 Member
    Options
    You still have to do the hard work yourself.

Egg-zackly
  • ItsCasey
    ItsCasey Posts: 4,022 Member
    Options
    Five reasons why this calorie-tracking individual hates dietitians:

1. They think that just because their clients are morons, everyone else must be, as well.

2. They think that just because their clients are liars, everyone else must be, as well.

3. They don't understand that sugar from an Oreo is the same as sugar from a banana.

4. They demonize food instead of focusing on the real problem.

5. They play the "obsession" card in a poorly-disguised attempt to discredit people who are actually able to manage their weight successfully with free calorie-tracking apps and without paying for the services of a dietitian.

# of lbs I've lost using a calorie-tracking app: 113
    # of years I've kept it off: 3 and counting
    # of dietitians whose help I've required: 0
  • the_great_beyond_
    the_great_beyond_ Posts: 157 Member
    Options

1. They think that just because their clients are morons, everyone else must be, as well.

2. They think that just because their clients are liars, everyone else must be, as well.

3. They don't understand that sugar from an Oreo is the same as sugar from a banana.

5. They play the "obsession" card in a poorly-disguised attempt to discredit people who are actually able to manage their weight successfully with free calorie-tracking apps and without paying for the services of a dietitian.

4136_winner-mini-stars-trophy.jpg

No more posts required.
  • PinkCupcakes84
    PinkCupcakes84 Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    In....this should get good
  • likitisplit
    Options

I would reply "Winner, Winner, Chicken Dinner"

But I'm not sure I could afford "dinner" for you :flowerforyou:
  • bm920
    bm920 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    science proves the first point to be complete BS the rest is up to the individual. If they cant track without turning into a retard then that their own fault.
  • sbarella
    sbarella Posts: 713 Member
    Options

My answer to this is that sane people of average intelligence shouldn't have difficulty with any of this.

I hesitate to speculate on the proportion of them in the population.

QFT
  • likitisplit
    Options

I agree with this. When it becomes obsessive, it's just not fun anymore.

The thing is:
    - It doesn't have to become obsessive
    - Last year, I learned that I naturally tend to slightly undereat and then periodically refeed when relying on hunger cues. Paired with the endurance exercises I gravitate toward/am "good" at, it's a recipe for losing lean mass.
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    I find it quite helpful. Of course it's not 100% accurate, but it's still more accurate than not tracking, and I don't care because I'm not obsessive about it, leading to my next point that you can do this without being obsessive.
  • oregonzoo
    oregonzoo Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    you mean a DIETITIAN would hate a calorie counting app?

NO WAY!

Dietitans count on people needing THEIR services. I"m sure they aren't happy about losing clients who have found they can do this *kitten* for free.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    That article actually rings pretty true for me. I have had much better success by listen to my body's cues than with tracking.

Total opposite for me.

Back when I listened to my body I got to my heaviest weight (123 lb heavier than I am now)

I basically never feel hungry, and always feel hungry. I could always go for a donut or Twix or a beef and cheese burrito because it tastes good and gives me a fleeting yet pleasurable "high". I could go for seven different flavors of macaron right after dinner, always. I could also just sit at home messing about on the internet and reading and not eat anything for 16 hours and be like "oh yeah I should eat". Hunger cues aren't part of my makeup, apparently.

So for me...I am better off counting calories.
  • So_Much_Fab
    So_Much_Fab Posts: 1,146 Member
    Options
    I will say that I experienced #2 on a number of occasions - as soon as my daily calories were almost used up my brain would go "ZOMG! NEED MOAR FOOD!!" even though I clearly did not.
  • IPAkiller
    IPAkiller Posts: 711 Member
    Options

slow-clap-gif.gif