How long do you think you can keep up with your Maintaince?

Options
2»

Replies

• kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    Options
    I've maintained my "post babies weight loss" for over 10 years now, I am still within 10 pounds of my initial loss and those 10 pounds were purposely put on (hopefully muscle). I don't intend to ever be overweight again. I will always work out and eat right, while still enjoying life to the fullest! I eat more now than I did years ago and I'm much older...I just eat better and work out with weights.
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    I'm gonna try for the rest of my life, i'm exactly in the middle of the 'ideal' weight range for me (59kg to 79kg), I'm 70kg, and couldn't wish for a better weight, but according to MFP I can only eat 2,200 calories a day to maintain my weight, for a medium active guy like me, always feeling hungry and cold, having to remember every little bite or crumb that I've consumed, so I can log it, going to bed hungry, then repeating the process again the next day.

I read some have been maintaining for years, well done, I hope I can do it too...

Spiderkeys - I keep wondering why you're so hungry. If it's not that you need more calories, maybe you need the protein/meat that you crave? Personally, I find an egg or a piece of chicken or some nuts - 100 calories or so - makes me feel pretty satisfied. Fat too. When I'm really working - backpacking or working outside - it's fat and protein I really want. It's not volume, it's the right stuff within your calories.
  • kk_140
    kk_140 Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    I plan on keeping up with it forever. I find it pretty easy to stay within my calorie limit (around 1,700 calories). This has been a life adjustment to me. I order different things at restaurants that are lower calories. I only want one cookie instead of a sleeve of cookies. This and many other things has made it easier for me to stay in limit.
  • Blokeypoo
    Blokeypoo Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    I'm 2yrs in and still count like I did on day 1, it's worth it. I eat foods I love, it's no punishment.
  • maillemaker
    maillemaker Posts: 1,253 Member
    Options
    Bear in mind that your maintenance calories may not be the same as someone who has never been obese if.

If you were obese, and you lose weight, your metabolism may be 12-20% less than someone of the same body mass who was never obese. This is a natural response to the reduction of leptin that your body fat makes. This effect may be permanent.

http://videocast.nih.gov/summary.asp?live=2993&bhcp=20
  • JulieAnn72
    JulieAnn72 Posts: 795 Member
    Options
    I've been maintaining for about six months now, although I am maintaining at about 5lbs more than what I would have liked. But I find that with my FitBit telling me how many calories I'm burning each day, if I eat what I burn, I maintain. Unfortunately for me, I only burn an average of 1800 calories a day. I figure I'll live my life consuming the number of calories I burn and hopefully I'll continue to maintain. I'm actually fairly comfortable at this number of calories.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    I'm gonna try for the rest of my life, i'm exactly in the middle of the 'ideal' weight range for me (59kg to 79kg), I'm 70kg, and couldn't wish for a better weight, but according to MFP I can only eat 2,200 calories a day to maintain my weight, for a medium active guy like me, always feeling hungry and cold, having to remember every little bite or crumb that I've consumed, so I can log it, going to bed hungry, then repeating the process again the next day.

I read some have been maintaining for years, well done, I hope I can do it too...

Why at maitenance are you going to bed hungry? I looked at your diary and perhaps you could make better choices, such as more protien...

Most days I looked at you ate a pastry for lunch??? That's fine but if you are hungry later it might be time to make different choices.

I see as well you have been going over your goal consistently...are you gaining weight now? if not then you have too low of a goal.
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1300153-struggling-with-eating-the-right-amount-of-food
    Based on this you are still losing weight and
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1293835-i-need-to-gain-but-i-m-scared
    You have admitted you need to gain in this one

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1288825-tracking-calories-forever

Looking at one day you ate 1100 worth of calories snacking on fruit..why not add in some greek yogurt, cheese etc...

As well based on your previous posts you don't like what has happened to you since you lost weight...you are unhappy....you don't like the process or the results...
  • Follow_me
    Follow_me Posts: 6,120 Member
    Options
    I made it a lifestyle change. So, mine will be forever! :-)
  • sistrsprkl
    sistrsprkl Posts: 1,013 Member
    Options
    I'm about 10 years in with couple 50lb losses after babies thrown in. You can do it. You shouldn't be so hungry though. Beans? Root veggies? Nuts? those are all healthy and filling.
  • AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    Options
    Only see here, the more you have to lost the harder it is to maintain, but yeah eating plenty of vegges, the last three days felt like a semi-failure because I slightly accidently when over, which is easy done at the end of the day, it's discouraging when MFP says I put on 6 pounds in the next 5 weeks, but Ill try upping them, I shouldnt take too much notice of what MFP, but it was fairy accurate during my weight loss journey, just wasn't expecting the maintance to be more painful as the weight loss mode, was looking forward till I could eat more when I switched, what seemed like a "lot" or "too much" food the first week, which made you feel, "wow this is so easy!" as quickly turned to into "so little" food, and becoming harder everyday..
    It's not supposed to be like this. You're also not supposed to be tired, cold, hungry or obsessed with food. You need to ask yourself whether this is an eating pattern you can maintain indefinitely. If you can't, you'll eventually fail and gain weight back unless you change. You're experiencing negative side effects of your eating plan, so you either need to change what/how you're eating or get comfortable with the side effects. (I don't recommend the latter).

"Maintenence" is a range, not an absolute number -- both in terms of weight on the scale and caloric intake. You won't maintain at exactly 70kg, but you can maintain at 70 +/- 2 kg. And most people have a window of a couple hundred calories that will keep them in maintenence. If you can't find a way to be comfortable with that kind of flexibility, you're setting yourself up for failure.
  • Catlady87
    Catlady87 Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    I find that I do fine for a few weeks/months then a couple pounds go back on, so then I start eating at a deficit to lose them and the cycle starts again. I don't mind this though. You're never going to maintain the exact weight and I'm not going to forgo enjoying things like Easter, birthdays, holidays and Christmas so there will be times when your weight goes up. It's how you manage it and don't allow yourself to spiral back out of control. All about the lifestyle in my opinion
  • Spiderkeys
    Spiderkeys Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    Bad news, i just weighed myself and I have lost weigh I didn't want to see.

Good news, Obviously I can bump up my calories and eat more.

Yeah it's just the food choices, I'm trying to concentrate on high protein snacks only, such as chicken, nuts, and popcorn, i'm fine during the day, but by evening, I using hit my limit by then, so can't eat until tommorow, and by bed-time I feel like i've eaten nothing at all.

I might have a piece of fruit or a handful of nuts and slightly go over my limit at night time, but doesnt satisfy me much though...
  • manhn1
    manhn1 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Fours years of maintenance. But this is not my first round of maintenance. I learned that you have to take it day by day. Be somewhat flexible. How I exercise and eat now is probably not going to be how I exercise and eat 50 years from now.
  • mamadon
    mamadon Posts: 1,422 Member
    Options
    Another firbit user here. According to it, I burn around 1850 a day and that seems pretty accurate so far. I've only been maintaining for a few months, but i realize I will have to be diligent forever.