Is my body rebelling against weight loss?

Options

Replies

• SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    This is happening because your blood sugar has dropped. I've had it happen to me so many times that I started testing my blood sugar- what I found is right before the "binge" my sugar dropped around 30-40 points. To stop this you will have to keep your blood sugar even. This also means not eating sugary foods or drinks because your sugar will spike and then drop off. Eat about every 2 hours, 200 calories with lots of protein to help maintain that level. Do not fast- it IS your body fighting back because of your blood sugar levels.

I'm not sure about this. I eat usually 5 times a day every 3 hours. However almost always when I lay down (or sit down) and get up a little fast I get dizzy or my eyes go blind for a few seconds. I don't know if that (whatever it is) could have an influence on the binges.
    Yeah, for this you need to go to your doctor. The dizziness and eyes going blind is not normal. Please make an appointment with your doctor for the coming week.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    The dizzy/blindness on getting up can be caused by mild dehydration or anemia, said my doctor last week. I'd try drinking more first. Not to diagnose or anything but might be an easy fix.

Or orthostatic hypotension - basically low blood pressure. I have it, not bad enough to get medicated, so the solution for me is to stand up slowly!
    Yes, low blood pressure will do it. I also have low blood pressure, which my MD is aware of.
  • establishingaplace
    establishingaplace Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    Sigh I don't know. I guess after reading all the opinions here I'm realizing that it might have to do with mindlessness. I do zone out a lot these days. But I don't know how to improve on my alertness.
    :-/ I'm not always aware of the present or of what I'm doing.

Log everything you eat. That will force you to be mindful.

And, what others said: see a doctor about the lightheadedness you're experiencing.
  • LoupGarouTFTs
    LoupGarouTFTs Posts: 916 Member
    Options
    There is also such a thing as post-prandial hypotension. The recommendation for dealing with that is to rest a half an hour after eating before getting up and moving around or doing anything strenuous. I do think that the best thing to do for this condition, though, is to go see a doctor.
  • Kitteneyes01
    Kitteneyes01 Posts: 125
    Options
    Feels like you're all asking me to pay the boogieman a visit! Lol
  • LoupGarouTFTs
    Options
    Feels like you're all asking me to pay the boogieman a visit! Lol

So you're a patient of Dr. Boogieman, too? Amazing how he gets around!
  • Iwishyouwell
    Iwishyouwell Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options

Fasting diets like that are not sustainable in the long run. It does not teach you moderation, and are essentially starvation diets 2, 3, ect days out of the week.

It's neither your job, nor your responsibility, to tell anybody what is sustainable for them. It's absurd that you really think you can decide for all human beings what kind of eating schedule is, or is not, sustainable.
  • LoupGarouTFTs
    Options

Fasting diets like that are not sustainable in the long run. It does not teach you moderation, and are essentially starvation diets 2, 3, ect days out of the week.

It's neither your job, nor your responsibility, to tell anybody what is sustainable for them. It's absurd that you really think you can decide for all human beings what kind of eating schedule is, or is not, sustainable.

Why not just explain why a fasting diet teaches moderation and why it is not a starvation diet? Or how it's sustainable as a lifelong process? I would certainly like to understand how those things are possible.
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options

Why not just explain why a fasting diet teaches moderation and why it is not a starvation diet? Or how it's sustainable as a lifelong process? I would certainly like to understand how those things are possible.

So let's see. You don't believe in getting "trigger foods" out of the house, or that one style of eating may not fit everyone. You do realize that line of thinking in and of itself is restrictive? 'Do it my way, else you're doing something wrong.' My approach may not work for your psyche but it may be just what the doctor ordered for someone else

I do not practice IF, because the thought of not having the flexibility to stuff my face whenever wherever would send me into a tizzy. But even then I still understand numerous explanations from IF practitioners that they prefer to have a smaller eating windows, which for some means being able to eat larger, more satisfying quantities of food in a shorter time span, and then not really worry about eating for the rest of the day. Some people are already pre wired to prefer less actual meals in any given day so this would be a good fit for them. I mean, those that hate breakfast have already lopped off one significant meal from their day, so this wouldn't be a stretch for them

If you really want to learn about IF, I suggest you do a forum search and do a little more reading!
  • Kitteneyes01
    Kitteneyes01 Posts: 125
    Options
    Fasting worked for the cavemen Lol ;) I have a friend who's been fasting for 20 years. Not to lose weight. Just to be healthier. Also there are people who fast for religion. I can't believe my little old thread would generate such interesting (and hilarious) opinion battles Hahaha :-D
  • segovm
    segovm Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    Fasting worked for the cavemen Lol ;) I have a friend who's been fasting for 20 years. Not to lose weight. Just to be healthier. Also there are people who fast for religion. I can't believe my little old thread would generate such interesting (and hilarious) opinion battles Hahaha :-D

As a rule, everyone on MFP is an expert and none of them are allowed to agree with one another. It makes posting here a lot of fun because you can see long drawn out fights about how junk food doesn't exist and how losing 2.1 pounds per week is bad for you but 1.9 is just fine.

I was thinking the same thing about fasting, it isn't my cup of tea but huge swaths of the planet pratice it on a regular basis and they all still seem pretty fine.
  • Iwishyouwell
    Options

It's down to preference. Not everyone is hardwired the same way.

The idea of eating six small meals a day, for example, is abhorrent to me. That is the definition of "not sustainable" for me, as I simply hate the idea of eating that much throughout most days. However I would never say that it's unsustainable for other people simply because it's not for me.

The same thing is with intermittent fasting. I've lost the last nearly 80 lbs IFing. I also fast for spiritual reasons. Fasting is a regular part of my life, and I love it. It allows me to lose without calorie counting and gives me total freedom on my eating days to enjoy what I want, to satisfaction, without any specific restrictions. I love the way I eat, I love my relationship with food, and I love intermittent fasting. As my personal eating style has evolved through the years, after many failures and much trial, IFing has become one of the best tools I've ever implemented.

See how that works? Not everyone is the same. What is "sustainable" for one isn't for another.
  • LoupGarouTFTs
    Options

It's down to preference. Not everyone is hardwired the same way.

The idea of eating six small meals a day, for example, is abhorrent to me. That is the definition of "not sustainable" for me, as I simply hate the idea of eating that much throughout most days. However I would never say that it's unsustainable for other people simply because it's not for me.

The same thing is with intermittent fasting. I've lost the last nearly 80 lbs IFing. I also fast for spiritual reasons. Fasting is a regular part of my life, and I love it. It allows me to lose without calorie counting and gives me total freedom on my eating days to enjoy what I want, to satisfaction, without any specific restrictions. I love the way I eat, I love my relationship with food, and I love intermittent fasting. As my personal eating style has evolved through the years, after many failures and much trial, IFing has become one of the best tools I've ever implemented.

See how that works? Not everyone is the same. What is "sustainable" for one isn't for another.

Just for the record--keep in mind that the original comment about fasting being unsustainable is not mine. I do tend to agree with it, somewhat, since it seems almost self-abusive to me. That said, I understand fasting for spiritual reasons. Before I was diagnosed with diabetes, I fasted twice a year for my faith, in long, six-week swaths. It was painful and horrible to me, since it was totally against my mode of eating, since I was unable to feel "good" on plant proteins, and because I was hungry every minute of every day. I felt good being diagnosed with Type II diabetes, actually, since I finally figured out that I wasn't doing it "wrong" spiritually, but that there was actually something physically wrong with me.

What I don't understand is the appeal to tradition that people use to justify this practice. "Cavemen" fasted for the same wolves fast several days/week--not every hunt is successful. Never in history has food been so readily to the general public and in such great variety at all times of year. Our fasting ancestors would (probably) not be fasting in the face of this bounty! There is no evidence (that I know of) that fasting makes people healthier. If a person uses fasting so that they can "eat anything" it, to me, seems no better than someone who binges and purges. Believe me, I do understand the lack of desire to eat a whole bunch of meals in a given day. I have been trying to get into the habit of eating three meals and a snack to help keep my blood glucose level at least fairly steady, but there are times it's a struggle for me, who has always been a "eat only when you're very hungry" type of person. Eating supper has always been optional for me and now that metformin regularly takes me two out of three falls, it's an actual struggle now. I'm absolutely NOT criticizing anyone for their meal timing choices--but--to me it does not seem to be a particularly healthy mode of eating to be promoting on a fitness site.
  • cjperkette3
    Options
    My heart goes out to you....I used to not eat for days and then binge...that was in high school and how I stayed thin...30+ years later and 90lbs over weight...my system really took a wammy everything from sluggish metabolism to digestive problems...the binges are far and few between but they are always fueled by my emotions never true hunger...I learned that eating releases endorphins and when I'm stressed...tired....bored or in pain...I will overeat...for just that short time I feel better...but of course then there is the guilt and remorse from stuffing myself...I also feel bloated and miserable not to mention seeing the numbers on the scale go up and up....it is one ugly roller-coaster ride...small..frequent meals is what keep my blood sugar balanced and keeps those binges at bay..keeping track of everything that goes in my mouth and how much I move really helps me stay focused...I also learned that sugar and junk food can actually bring on a binge...or crave more sugar and junk food...it screws with your blood sugar levels
  • tracydr
    tracydr Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    The dizzy/blindness on getting up can be caused by mild dehydration or anemia, said my doctor last week. I'd try drinking more first. Not to diagnose or anything but might be an easy fix.

The 'eating up to maintenance at night' thing-- I think it's probably just your mind and body trying to maintain homeostasis. Learning to end the day a little hungry is a new habit that can be learned. It just takes some practice. Finding some other ways to address night time boredom or stress or the need for a reward can help.

Mm. I do drink 2-3 litres of water a day. I DO have anemia. But this started happening last year. At the end of my weight loss, I started getting hasty to get to my goal. So for an entire 2 months I actually only ate 500 calories a day. (I didn't know better) And this has been happening ever since.
    500 calories a day for two months to get to goal. Are you sure this goal is realistic? Are you positive you don't have an eating disorder? Because this sounds like you do. Plus, the hypotension and anemia can all be attributed to eating disorders, either bulimia or anorexia.
    Everyone else reading, what do you think?
  • tracydr
    tracydr Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    Some of the saints, nuns and Bhuddists who have practiced fasting for religion have died from starvation. I just heard about a saint from the 1400s who starved herself to death.
  • LoupGarouTFTs
    Options

500 calories a day for two months to get to goal. Are you sure this goal is realistic? Are you positive you don't have an eating disorder? Because this sounds like you do. Plus, the hypotension and anemia can all be attributed to eating disorders, either bulimia or anorexia.
    Everyone else reading, what do you think?

I won't go so far as to say it's a possible eating disorder; however, the brain can respond with confusion/disordered thoughts and the feelings of invincibility and euphoria at that low a caloric level. That's one reason (among several) why people on very low calorie diets should be monitored closely by a doctor.
  • Iwishyouwell
    Options
    I do tend to agree with it, somewhat, since it seems almost self-abusive to me...because I was hungry every minute of every day.

Which is why you find it impossible to imagine that other people can go considerable stretches of time without eating, and don't feel "hungry every minute" or are in misery.

I've always, even at my fattest, been able to go a day without eating and not feel particularly hungry or miserable. Instead of fighting that I simply learned to play to my strengths. I didn't gain weight because I was an all day long eater, and I very naturally gravitate toward an eating pattern that leaves me long stretches without sustenance, and feeling perfectly fine and energetic.

I don't even know what it feels like to be "hungry every minute of every day". If I'm hungry but don't eat, or am unable to eat, eventually the hunger passes.
    There is no evidence (that I know of)

"That I know of" is the key issue with your statement.
    If a person uses fasting so that they can "eat anything" it, to me, seems no better than someone who binges and purges.

It seems as if you think like a food addict and assume that "eating anything" must entail eating lots of food and having no responsibility for a greater nutritional profile.

However food freedom does not necessarily equal "binging" or any other unhealthy eating pattern. Not everyone equates food freedom with diving into abandon.
    I'm absolutely NOT criticizing anyone for their meal timing choices--but--to me it does not seem to be a particularly healthy mode of eating to be promoting on a fitness site.

That's because you ultimately don't really know what you're talking about. Baring any major health issues, IFing is very safe. Lots of athletic people, people with above average fitness profiles, IF.
  • Iwishyouwell
    Options
    Duplicate message.
  • bannedword
    bannedword Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    tl;dr.