Lunch for Work?

Options

Replies

• JustSomeEm
    JustSomeEm Posts: 20,197 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I'm so boring - I usually just have a can of campbells or progresso soup. I'm totally stealing some of these ideas, though. :) YUM!
  • capnrus789
    capnrus789 Posts: 2,731 Member
    Options
    Lately I've been grilling up a bunch of chicken breasts on Sunday, then splitting them up into 5-6 oz portions. Bring that with a tortilla and a slice of cheese, stashed soem mustard at my desk at work, quick and easy wrap.
  • jess17587
    jess17587 Posts: 153
    Options
    1 portion of dried fruit
    1 packet of crisps
    1 brown whole meal roll/sub

in my college we don't have a fridge so all thing like couscous or boiled egg might be all right for you but it just won't keep for me in a stuffy locker... well maybe in winter but it is the hot summer right now in the UK.

crisps for the fat + non saturated or trans
    dried fruit for my sugar buzz
    brown roll/sub to add more fibre, protein and slow energy releasing carbohydrates + keep me full up.
  • gabeelijah
    gabeelijah Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I do the same thing
  • germslyde
    germslyde Posts: 3
    Options
    I find myself eating relatively the same things frequently. I am a big fan of Chicken Tenderloins for a couple of reasons.

1. You can get a huge bag of frozen CT's from Costco for pretty cheap (about 15 bux or so).
    2. They defrost quickly (about 5 minutes under running water).
    3. They cook quickly (4 or 5 minutes per side should do the trick).
    4. Pretty easy to portion... I typically figure 2 tenderloins for a 4 ounce serving (you can use a scale for accuracy... I do!)

I will typically cook up a big batch of CT's and Brown Rice (enough for 4 or 5 days) and pre-portion out my meals for the week. I usually aim for small meals (around 300 or 400 calories) comprised of the chicken, rice, and a green vegetable (I like broccoli, peas, and Kale). I will eat usually two of these meals per day at work. On a side note, I switch up seasonings/marinades on the chicken frequently to avoid my taste buds getting bored!

Aside from that, I usually grub on some oatmeal for breakfast with a good quality turkey sausage for extra protein, as well as some snacks (10 almonds, protein bar, apple, banana etc...)
  • jbethanyd
    jbethanyd Posts: 1
    Options
    My favorite is Broccoli hash with Chicken breast or salmon. It's just sweet potato (pre-boiled), onion, broccoli Pre-steamed), red bell peppers, and mushrooms sauteed together and thrown in a bowl with your choice of meat. It's easy heat and tastes just as good cold. My last batch made about 6 servings for about 200 cal each.
  • MrsJennaKwasniewski
    MrsJennaKwasniewski Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    Skinny Low-Yolk Egg Salad
    Gina's Weight Watcher Recipes
    Servings: 2 • Serving Size: 1/2 of salad • Old Points: 2 pts • Points+: 2 pts
    Calories: 81.2 • Fat: 4.4 g • Protein: 9.3 g • Carb: 1.2 g • Fiber: 0.2 g • Sugar: 0.1 g

Ingredients:

4 hard boiled eggs, peeled
    4 tsp Hellman's light mayonnaise
    1/2 tsp dijon mustard
    2 tbsp chopped green scallions or chives
    salt and fresh pepper to taste

Directions:

Separate the yolks from the egg whites and discard 3 of the yolks. Chop eggs and combine with mayonnaise, dijon mustard, scallions, salt and pepper.

http://www.skinnytaste.com/2011/04/skinny-low-yolk-egg-salad.html

I used 2 40 calories slices of Natures Own Low Calorie Wheat Bread. It tastes JUST like "regular" egg salad!
  • iLIFTcupcakesNiron
    Options
    chicken, brown rice and veggies. InstaNOM & good for you.
  • _lyndseybrooke_
    _lyndseybrooke_ Posts: 2,561 Member
    Options
    My afternoon snack is the same every day, so I always bring my Dannon Light & Fit flavored Greek yogurt cup, a light string cheese, and a hard-boiled egg with me to work. I boil all of the eggs on Sunday and take one to work each day.

As for lunches, I like to switch it up week to week, but I typically eat the same lunch Monday-Friday before switching the next week. If my lunch for the week involves prep/cooking, I do that on Sunday so it's convenient in the mornings. Here are some of my lunches:

- Shrimp Caesar Salad (romaine lettuce, grilled shrimp, shaved Parmesan, light Caesar dressing, fat-free croutons
    - Tuna with plain Greek yogurt and 24 Special K Multigrain Crackers
    - Homemade chicken fried rice (brown rice, frozen peas, low-sodium soy sauce, egg whites, garlic and onion powder, and chicken breast
    - Roast beef, shaved Parmesan, arugula, and pepper on a sandwich
    - English muffin with Canadian bacon, egg whites, and white cheddar cheese with some grapes or strawberries
    - 2 corn tortillas with shredded chicken, avocado, and refried beans

This week I tried something new - 1/2 cup 2% cottage cheese, 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce, 2 T raisins, cinnamon, and apple pie spice all mixed together. Pretty tasty and I'm surprisingly full. I'll definitely make it to my 3:00 snack without feeling hungry.
  • Amanda_Gx6
    Amanda_Gx6 Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    I grill chicken and bring it with a different side choice every day. I've done:

grilled chicken with steamed veggitables
    grilled chicken with peppers and onions
    grilled chicken with homemade salsa, & avocado in a st. low carb tortilla
    grilled chicken and rice (for those days you feel like you could eat everything)
  • ohiotubagal
    ohiotubagal Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Day 2: Kimchi Pulled Chicken (rinse the cole slaw, add some vinegar and pickling seasonings to use them both up)

I love kimchi, but not the outrageous sodium content! Can you be more specific about how you make it? Which spices...just the generic "pickling spices"? And any certain kind of vinegar?
  • MityMax96
    MityMax96 Posts: 5,778 Member
    Options
    What are you guys' go to lunches that you take to work, or even just eating at home. I get sick of taking salad every day, but it's always like the easiest thing to make in the morning. I also feel like I sometimes don't bring enough. What is everything you guys will bring, including snacks?

either Chipotle
    or I bring grilled chicken breast, white rice or sweet potato, and brocolli
  • leahmattingly
    Options
    Yes! Love Wendy's salads!
  • cyncm
    cyncm Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Basic formula is:
    - 3oz lean protein (chicken breast cooked on Sunday, pork loin ditto, homemade meat loaf that's presliced and frozen so I can grab one slice in the am)
    - raw low carb veg - fill a 2c container (grape/cherry tomatoes, celery sticks, carrot sticks, pepper slices, green beans...)
    - 1 slice high fibre bread w optional 1 tsp Hellman's mayo
    Lean Cuisine or leftovers makes for variety.
  • RaspberryKeytoneBoondoggle
    Options
    Today I took brown rice, chana masala, mixed nuts and an apple. It worked very well!
  • Mlgolota
    Mlgolota Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I have been enjoying a whole wheat tortilla, spread 2T hummus, spinach, 2-3 slices turkey, slice of light cheese...roll it up and enjoy. Another thing I have had is the Quinoa & Chicken in the frozen section at Costco, it's about 230 calories. Hope this helps :)
  • Mommy23js
    Mommy23js Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Lunch entree:

-Salad with Bolthouse Ranch yogurt dressing and a half turkey sandwick with a slice of pepperjack
    -1 egg and 2 egg white scrambled with 50g of extra lean ground turkey that's ben seasoned with cumin, black beans, corn and salsa. I also sometimes add avocado or cheese depending on the rest of my meal plan for the day
    -Spring Green salad with cranberries and almonds and a balsamic vinaigrette
    -Microwave a potato and add extra lean ground turkey taco meat, salsa, greek yogurt, and some shredded cheese

Snacks:
    small yogurt cup with fruit and granola
    Apple, orange
    lentil snaps (love the sun dried tomato and basil)
    Crunchy rice rollers
    Protein shake (bring magic bullet to work and let my frozen fruit defrost for a bit)
  • super_pj
    super_pj Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I do carb cycles while I work.

MW I bring high carb food that I made for dinner the night before (about 500-700 calories)
    Then on TThF I bring protein shakes (2 scoops for lunch, 1 scoop for a snack around 3pm) to work with some pita chips (9grams 140 cal)

Doing so I found I dont binge anymore since I am able to satisfy my cravings every other day while still keeping around my calorie goal (1400 - 1700 ) but sometimes of course I go above occasionally. I'm all for healthy snacks and all but doing that every single day doesn't do it for me. During my low carb days, I find that I have 700cal to have for dinner which let's me eat a good variety of food. Sometimes I need meat, sometimes I want brown rice, sometimes I just want what I want and doing this carb cycle actually helps a lot.

Then again, it depends on the person! Goodluck finding what works for you :)
  • midwestmixtape
    midwestmixtape Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I have been doing this with slight variations since August with great success.

Every Sunday, I make 5 lunches for the week.

I cook between 3-4 pounds of chopped up chicken thigh or breast, between 3-4 pounds of broccoli, and add spices / low calorie sauces. I divide this into 5 servings. Usually this is the "main" portion of my lunch, and is very protein heavy, light on carbs, and very filling. Between 500 to 700 calories for a big ol' lunch.

I bring string cheese and a banana for snacks. 200 calories there or so.

Add in some eggs / turkey bacon for breakfast, and you have had a filling day of great healthy food with some calories to spare for dinner - I usually just snack around for dinner to fill in my last 400 calories.

Adjust the food per your calorie needs. This routine works wonders for me. A regular and predictable lunch and breakfast prepared and ready for the whole week makes tracking calories 1000000 times easier.
  • GingerLee13
    GingerLee13 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I find lurking food diaries gives me great ideas. To keep it interesting, I do the bento box idea, small servings of several things make lunches really fun. You can google to find ideas. :flowerforyou:

Sláinte :drinker:

I second the bento box idea, but I always call it my picnic or ploughman's lunch. I pack several things that add up to about 500 cal.