I want to eat brown rice plain

Options

Replies

• 0somuchbetter0
    0somuchbetter0 Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    I'm confused... if you want to eat brown rice- eat brown rice.

If you do not like it- don't eat it.

if you like it- eat it.

I mean- I like jasmine rice- and coconut rice- I HATE brown rice- I hate the texture and the fact there is stuff in it- nope nope nope- so I just don't eat it.

Life is way to short to eat stuff you don't like constantly because someone tells you it's so much better for you.

What stuff is in it?
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    the husks I guess- it's got more texture than plain bleached rice.

and I"m 100% okay with my plain bleached boring de-husked rice.
  • 0somuchbetter0
    0somuchbetter0 Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    Oh ok, I thought you meant that there was stuff added to it. I like brown over white-- has more texture and flavor, plus it's better for you. Just a matter of personal taste I guess.
  • BeginningAgainMay14
    BeginningAgainMay14 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    If you can find it a Basmati Brown Rice is nicer IMHO, but not easy to find around here.

Thirding this since someone else mentioned it too. Bonus: it smells like popcorn when it cooks! Just use salt in the cooking water and I think you might find that you like it plain. I find plain brown rice unappetizing, but I love basmati brown rice. You can get it at Whole Foods in their bulk bin and it's actually pretty cheap (I mean, it's expensive by rice standards, but since rice is one of the cheapest foods ever, it's still very inexpensive.)

If you still don't care for it, one of my favorite things to do with rice in college was stir in a couple of tablespoons of jarred salsa and some diced bell peppers and tomatoes. Chicken is good in it too, if you felt like contaminating it with a meat product. ;-)
  • xMermaidx
    xMermaidx Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    One evening I made a killer brown rice, very simple but so good. Right after the rice was done cooking I added a jar of roasted red peppers, roughly chopped and even poured in a bit of the juice, then I put the lid back on the pot and let the steam warm everything up for a couple minutes, super yum!
  • Motivation
    Motivation Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I like good ol plain white, steamed rice myself.....
    Yep. The difference in nutrition between white rice and brown rice is miniscule.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

FINALLY.. SOME ONE WHO GETS IT! :P /inconspicuousbridge
  • MindfulLiving
    MindfulLiving Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Hello, I love brown rice too and what I do is put a little sesame oil in the pan heat the rice in it just until it starts to brown, short of popping it. Add your water and cook Now after it's done add a little garlic, chopped celery, diced carrots and green onions, when they are tender serve with a little lite soy sauce and grated ginger, it's quick. and tasty.
  • cookn_mama
    cookn_mama Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    lime juice and cilantro!!
  • cadaver0usb0nes
    cadaver0usb0nes Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    You could add veggies too it, or cook it in vegetable stock instead of chicken stock if you are a vegetarian. Soy sauce, liquid aminos, sriacha, etc. If you don't like it plain you cant make yourself like it plain.. you're going to have to season it with something. Look up "rice recipes" online and you can probably find something you like.
  • stiobhard
    stiobhard Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Have you tried brown basmati rice? Different aroma cooking, and a different taste, too.

I get the big burlap sacks of basmati rice that are imported from india... they are everywhere now... its almost the only rice i eat anymore and it seems to be the most versatile. but as far as i can tell its still white rice. the main thing i dont think it should be used for is east asian cooking... japanese, chinese, etc... esp japanese... which needs to be starchy and short grained... where indian food needs a long grain rice ... like basmati is...

brown rice is very nutritious for sure... but it does not have the starch that white rice has so while it may be better for you there are certain dishes that are harder to make come out correctly without that stickiness... esp when short grain is called for... brown rice also has a very distinctive flavor which is fine for things like jambalaya maybe.... but where you want something subtle... or sweet ...it seems to me like putting salt in a dish that calls for sugar.... you *can* use brown rice for most things with a little tweaking... but I think it was discovering basmati rice at an indian place (in a food court beleive it or not!!) that killed my love for brown rice... but though i myself now prefer certain things with basmati or sushi or glutinous rice depending... people still make those things from brown rice so you are in good company!!

if you do like brown rice, you might also like barley... i havent had it in ages but it always struck me as having a similar taste and texture... in the 80s (fairly early in my veg'ness) I lived somewhere and we ate all sorts of grains that i never seem to have around anymore.... millet... bulgar wheat.... amaranth.... rolled oats... and alot of different types of dry beans too... hominy...(posole) is one ive just cooked... which in its dry form seems somewhere in between both grains and legumes....
  • dt3312
    dt3312 Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    Some ways I like brown rice:
    with soy sauce,
    with curry powder.
    with hummus or Yumm! sauce (i.e., from Yumm! Bowl)
  • marvybells
    marvybells Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options
    I add Cajun seasoning or Montreal Chicken seasoning to the water as it boils... Ups the sodium, but doesn't add calories and VASTLY moreover the taste IMHO.

i might be in the minority here but i actually really enjoy plain brown rice.

However, as the poster above mentioned, i do sometimes like adding Montreal Chicken seasoning to my rice. So damn good!
  • Dragonborn79
    Dragonborn79 Posts: 161
    Options
    Alton Brown's recipe for Baked Brown Rice is amazing. We used to have it all the time, but we don't have a lot of rice anymore. It's very good plain, or it's great to use with any of the suggestions above. http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/baked-brown-rice-recipe.html

Also, we used to get our brown rice at a local Asian market. It was very inexpensive and much better than any of the brown rice from other stores. I just looked it up, it was called "Jasmine Brown Rice" and it was from Thailand.

Baked Brown Rice

Ingredients
    1 1/2 cups brown rice (he suggests short or medium, but long works fine)
    2 1/2 cups water
    1 tablespoon unsalted butter, olive oil or coconut oil
    1 teaspoon kosher salt

Directions
    Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.

Place the rice into an 8-inch square glass baking dish.

Bring the water, butter, and salt just to a boil in a kettle or covered saucepan. Once the water boils, pour it over the rice, stir to combine, and cover the dish tightly with heavy-duty aluminum foil. Bake on the middle rack of the oven for 1 hour.

After 1 hour, remove cover and fluff the rice with a fork. Serve immediately.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    I like good ol plain white, steamed rice myself.....
    Yep. The difference in nutrition between white rice and brown rice is miniscule.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
    For the standard macros, yes, it's pretty close.
  • Bernadette60614
    Bernadette60614 Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    My go to lunch:

Brown rice

Black beans

Salsa

Any leftover veggies from the night before
  • cyncm
    cyncm Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Sometimes you just have to keep doing something before you get used to it. Brown rice is delicious all by itself.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    My go to lunch:

Brown rice

Black beans

Salsa

Any leftover veggies from the night before
    Best lunch ever.
  • ThinkInOregon
    Options
    Put broth in it. :)

But seriously, here's my quick & dirty black beans and brown rice recipe. If you don't like black beans...well you should, because they are delicious.

1 white onion
    2 cups chicken broth
    2 tbsp minced garlic
    2 cans black beans
    1 can diced tomatoes
    1 tbsp olive oil
    2 tbsp chili powder
    1 tsp cayenne pepper
    1/4 cup lime juice
    1/8 cup cilantro

Heat olive oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Chop onion and saute until translucent. Add garlic and stir. Add rice and saute until mixed well with onion and oil. Add chicken broth and increase heat to high, Add chili powder and cayenne pepper and bring to a boil. Cover and reduce heat to low. Allow rice to cook fully, generally 20 minutes for brown rice. Remove lid, stir, add beans, tomatoes, lime juice, cilantro, and stir until well mixed. Serve hot.

Sounds yummy!! Was thinking about having pork chops tomorrow, but this really sounds delicious too!!
  • sugarlemonpie
    sugarlemonpie Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    I used to put a little bit of sugar on it when I was a kid. Other than that I dunno, I like eating plain rice.
  • JenniCali1000
    JenniCali1000 Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    Ever make rice pudding with brown rice? Nomnomnom