New Wendy's Commercial & Food Rewards

Options
124»

Replies

• skyblue2001
    Options
    Isn't obesity considered a bigger danger to a person's health than smoking?

Oh, and I'm sure we've all got a sucker from the doctor at some point for doing so well getting a shot. I think food rewards are fine as long as the food offered isn't extreme and we aren't offering it for good behavior (which should just be expected)
  • disneygallagirl
    disneygallagirl Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ0ePtVriAcgSXtx7yVoJo61UUdUKWuqJWUO2jWxJZLxyj3zZIt-Q

edited to fix link
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options
    That's actually what bothered me the most in the description of this commercial. It's not that they were rewarding with food, it's that they were rewarding a non achievement. I think that sort of action is potentially far more damaging to a growing child's mental state than the act of rewarding actual achievement with food.

I didn't get there was a non achievement, I got they didn't win. My daughter plays soccer and run track and cross country. There are plenty of times the achievement is a running throw the pain, a goal or almost beating the best team in the league. There are days the "event:" overall sucked but she played her hardest and never gave up, that to me is a win for her. I've never used food as a reward but most times win lose or draw - ice cream is always good and there are times that putting a smile back on her face is all I care about!
  • leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    Options
    I rewarded myself with ice cream when I went up in weights the other day. Does it make a difference if the kid actually achieved something?

That's actually what bothered me the most in the description of this commercial. It's not that they were rewarding with food, it's that they were rewarding a non achievement. I think that sort of action is potentially far more damaging to a growing child's mental state than the act of rewarding actual achievement with food.

That is what I thought when I saw the commercial last week. Participation awards, ego boosting for mediocrity, little Johnny is a special snowflake. Parents hate seeing their kids anything but happy and fat that they reward everything and anything to avoid tears and frowns.
  • JG762
    JG762 Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    Was on Youtube and saw the new commercial Wendy's has about a kid who was disappointed about her performance at her baseball game. So to cheer her up, they got a Wendy's frosty cone because they're celebrating that she didn't get hit with the ball.

Now this isn't a horrible ad or anything, but the thought to me was a lot of us struggle with 'food rewards' and getting over that mentality that "I deserve this piece of cake because of xyz". Then it snowballs that you can make up any sort of reason to reward yourself or cheat on your diet. "Well I walked for 2 minutes to my car in the parking garage, so I can have this brownie sundae". Or "Well I made my to do list, now to give myself a treat..."

What do you think? Did you or do you still struggle with the 'food reward'? Should they be portraying that in advertisements directed at children?

People are Lemmings, they will do what they're told to do.
    Mostly they're content with having someone else do their thinking for them, It's quite sad really
  • Matiara
    Matiara Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    There are only two foods that come close to making you feel as good as an orgasm.

Ice cream.

Bacon.

I think we are done here?

tumblr_mpndn2etHy1rb324eo1_500.gif

tumblr_lsitxlhSFC1r4994ho1_500.gif

That ice cream cone totally looks like the cone that I get at the state fair every year, except the one I get is strawberry swirl and tastes like heaven. Alas, I must wait until September.
  • Stage14
    Stage14 Posts: 1,046 Member
    Options
    I think these kinds of things are red herrings that take the focus off of personal responsibility. And I agree that I don't want Big Brother deciding what kinds of food I can or cannot eat or when I can or cannot feed them to my kid. I'm not fat because my mom gave me the occasional ice cream sundae after a bad day. I'm fat because once I graduated college I refused to take control of my health and nutrition and eat responsibly.
  • gotolam
    gotolam Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    I rewarded myself with ice cream when I went up in weights the other day. Does it make a difference if the kid actually achieved something?

That is what I thought when I saw the commercial last week. Participation awards, ego boosting for mediocrity, little Johnny is a special snowflake. Parents hate seeing their kids anything but happy and fat that they reward everything and anything to avoid tears and frowns.

Yes, totally agree. I think instead of rewarding "non achievement" we should beat our children when they lose. That'll teach them to try and participate in something they might not be good at.
  • leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    Options

Yes, totally agree. I think instead of rewarding "non achievement" we should beat our children when they lose. That'll teach them to try and participate in something they might not be good at.

Yes, clearly. If we're not rewarding mediocrity, we must be beating the children. More like, if a kid isn't good at something, teach them not to be a sour loser, pouting and trudging along like the girl in the commercial. Teach kids to congratulate and emulate the winners.
  • gotolam
    gotolam Posts: 262 Member
    Options

Yes, clearly. If we're not rewarding mediocrity, we must be beating the children. More like, if a kid isn't good at something, teach them not to be a sour loser, pouting and trudging along like the girl in the commercial. Teach kids to congratulate and emulate the winners.

My guess is you have no children of your own.

Have you ever been to a kid's game? No, I thought not. I haven't ever been to one where there aren't kids heartbroken over a loss, or a miss catch, or a miss hit. At that age, it's not easy for them to control their emotions. That's not being a sore or "sour" loser. That's being a kid. If the sight of a kid with tears in her eyes makes you immediately think that kid is being a brat, please think twice before having children-- because you're going to be very very disappointed.

I take my kids to BK, MCD's or whatever is local right after the game. That's not rewarding mediocrity. That's spending quality time with my children and giving them an opportunity to talk through the game.
  • parkscs
    parkscs Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options

I don't really understand why you seem to be assuming that one can only eat ice cream as a reward for success, rather than just a treat to cheer someone up or simply for an enjoyable experience. You've never once had a drink or otherwise treated yourself after a bad day? Likewise, why would a single frosty (after a sporting event no less) make a kid fat? Does not compute.

Personally, I think you all are reading way too much into a 30 second commercial. Seems to me like they wanted to show the kid upset over something that's disappointing, yet trivial, and is easy to explain in a 30 second commercial - and then getting a frosty to cheer her up. A sporting event that didn't go so well seems like a pretty good choice, given those criteria.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    Remember, we're not dogs or circus animals getting trained. When food is used as a reward, we are virtually training ourselves to eat poorly.

But....then you ARE a dog....
  • Slaintegrl
    Slaintegrl Posts: 239 Member
    Options

My opinion - anyone who can be manipulated so much by a 30 second advertisement that they KNOW GOING IN is designed to get them to do/not do something probably isn't going to make the best decisions regardless.

The problem is that a lot of kids don't know going in that this ad is designed to get them to do or not do something. They just know they see pizza/hamburger/icecream, etc. and that they want it. Yes, there should be an adult around who is responsible enough to know better and make the good decision. And you did state a truth when it comes to adults.

It's just my humble opinion, so don't everyone jump down my throat, but using food as a reward can indeed set up a pattern of using food to cover every possible excuse, from "Gee, I did great today, I walked all the way to my car in the parking lot" to "Gee, what a lousy day, I need something to make myself feel better." Take it from one who's been there and is struggling to overcome. When I was growing up, food (and abundant, great tasting food) was everywhere. When I came home from school, when I fell and scraped my knee, when I got all A's on my report card, ad infinitum. Leading to a life where I used food to celebrate and to soften the blow - yes, I know, my own choices, mostly poor ones. Now, I'm trying to build better habits and reward myself with non-food items. It's hard work, but it's worth it.
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options
    Remember, we're not dogs or circus animals getting trained. When food is used as a reward, we are virtually training ourselves to eat poorly.

But....then you ARE a dog....

Agree, that statement makes zero sense.

People aren't automatically brainwashed if you use something as a reward a few times - especially if there is variation in said rewards. If that's ALL you offer and the only time you offer it, of course there will be an issue - just like anything else. Like if I gave my husband a BJ every single time he unloaded the dishwasher (and not any other time), a pattern would be established. That has less to do with food than it does conditioning.

I've happily used food as a reward or a bribe with my kids. Along with lots of other things (YouTube time, later bedtime, etc). They don't expect ANY rewards for good behavior, because I reward them occasionally, not every time. And neither are they fat, unhealthy, lazy or anything else. They know the word no, very well. And they DO get upset when they lose - it's the normal human reaction. My job is to teach them how to deal with those emotions on a rational level.

So many people have such strong opinions about parenting and child rearing on this board - I wonder how many of them are actually parents. I'm not the best mom on the planet and my kids are not amazing, perfect little superstars. We're all works in progress and there is no one size fits all solution when you're raising little human beings.
  • thavoice
    thavoice Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    Was on Youtube and saw the new commercial Wendy's has about a kid who was disappointed about her performance at her baseball game. So to cheer her up, they got a Wendy's frosty cone because they're celebrating that she didn't get hit with the ball.

Now this isn't a horrible ad or anything, but the thought to me was a lot of us struggle with 'food rewards' and getting over that mentality that "I deserve this piece of cake because of xyz". Then it snowballs that you can make up any sort of reason to reward yourself or cheat on your diet. "Well I walked for 2 minutes to my car in the parking garage, so I can have this brownie sundae". Or "Well I made my to do list, now to give myself a treat..."

What do you think? Did you or do you still struggle with the 'food reward'? Should they be portraying that in advertisements directed at children?
    Its marketing.
    Do you REALLY expect food companies to advertise and sway people to eat LESS often? Food places are marketing machines getting you to go and go often and for any reason under the sun.
  • thavoice
    thavoice Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    We took our nephew for ice cream after getting stitches.
    Not as a reward..but for cheering him up after the ordeal!