Ketogenic diets

Options
UsedToBeHusky
UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
I'm considering giving this a go for a little while to correct my PCOS. Help me to make my decision. I'm open to your opinions. I want to hear them all... those in favor and those in opposition.

I am obviously expecting a debate. Please be respectful of each other.

Replies

• UsedToBeHusky
    Options
    I found this in a study:
    What is ketosis?.

Insulin activates key enzymes in pathways, which store energy derived from carbohydrates, and when there is an absence or scarcity of dietary carbohydrates the resulting reduced insulin level leads to a reduction in lipogenesis and fat accumulation. After a few days of fasting, or of drastically reduced carbohydrate consumption (below 50g/day), glucose reserves become insufficient both for normal fat oxidation via the supply of oxaloacetate in the Krebs cycle (which gave origin to the phrase ‘fat burns in the flame of carbohydrate') and for the supply of glucose to the central nervous system (CNS).4

Could this not simply be achieved through intermittent fasting?
  • xToniBx
    xToniBx Posts: 27
    Options
    Cool, hope it works. Im on Raspberry Ketone and Detox Colon Cleanse. I used it few times but im going to start this week, just had two today and keep having them, hope i loose quick but exercise and try eat healthy too then hope it does work x
  • seashel812
    seashel812 Posts: 25
    Options
    I haven't tried keto, but I find it much easier to lose weight when I restrict my carbs, particularly to <100g per day. Why? Because I can eat less calories without feeling like I'm starving all the time, and my cravings for junk food go away. If I can eat less without feeling hungry and combatting wild cravings I'll take it.
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options
    Pro - keto here.

You may or my not find it sustainable, but done properly it is a healthy diet, so trying it for a period of time will either be positive or neutral.

Listening to other peoples experiences will probably not be of much use as we all find things like this either easier or harder, depending on our make up.

Do your own n=1 study and give it a try,
  • Muddy_Yogi
    Muddy_Yogi Posts: 1,459 Member
    Options
    Cool, hope it works. Im on Raspberry Ketone and Detox Colon Cleanse. I used it few times but im going to start this week, just had two today and keep having them, hope i loose quick but exercise and try eat healthy too then hope it does work x

:noway:
  • Veil5577
    Veil5577 Posts: 868 Member
    Options
    I had heard somewhere that being in ketosis was dangerous. I used to use keto sticks, which were great for motivation because I thought being in ketosis meant that the body was burning fat? Any thoughts or ideas? I'd like to buy more sticks and try that again.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    Options
    Pro - keto here.

You may or my not find it sustainable, but done properly it is a healthy diet, so trying it for a period of time will either be positive or neutral.

Listening to other peoples experiences will probably not be of much use as we all find things like this either easier or harder, depending on our make up.

Do your own n=1 study and give it a try,

Well I am doing my own study, hence why I posted that section above that I read followed by a question. But lots of people have useful information. I realize that anecdote has its usefulness, but in my years on this website, I find that amidst the anecdote, actual, useful, relevant information gets shared amid the debate.
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options
    I had heard somewhere that being in ketosis was dangerous. I used to use keto sticks, which were great for motivation because I thought being in ketosis meant that the body was burning fat? Any thoughts or ideas? I'd like to buy more sticks and try that again.

You probably heard it from a dozen or so regulars on MFP. lol
  • Muddy_Yogi
    Muddy_Yogi Posts: 1,459 Member
    Options

I will try to be as respectful as possible here....You do realize that Raspberry ketones do NOTHING for you at all.....and a detox colon cleanse? Why not just eat more fiber? And if you say it is to get rid of toxins please explain these toxins and why your liver is not getting rid of them....as that is the livers function, is it not?
  • parkscs
    parkscs Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    I can't tell you whether you should or shouldn't try it, but I'll just say that if you're interested in it, a good place to start learning more is Lyle McDonald's book on the subject. Reddit actually has some pretty good resources for keto diets, particularly /r/ketogains. In my experience, keto diets require you to live with some restrictions and can require more effort than simple calorie/macro counting (particularly when it comes to a TKD/CKD, where nutrient timing is important), but keto diets do offer some benefits as well. Whether the pros outweigh the cons is really an individual determination.
  • kofiannans_hitman
    Options
    I have had limited success with keto. I would have kept doing it, but I simply can't afford it up here in Canuckistan with the absolutely asinine meat prices. TBH, I was doing the keto thing for a month or 2. Had good results, but I respond a crap load better to just calorie counting and keeping my carb count down to less than 150 per day. That is very easy for me to do even drinking low carb beer. That is not keto in the strictest form, but it has been working for me. Besides that, I noticed even when I was in ketosis and seeing results, my energy levels were next to nothing after 2pm or so. When I reintroduced limited carbs back in, holy hell what a difference. I still stay below 150 carbs 6 days out of the week no matter what.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    Options

I have NO idea what those are. But I posted this thread as it may be time to change my opinion on keto diets. Particularly if it can help me get to a point where I don't require medication for my insulin issues.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    Options

I will try to be as respectful as possible here....You do realize that Raspberry ketones do NOTHING for you at all.....and a detox colon cleanse? Why not just eat more fiber? And if you say it is to get rid of toxins please explain these toxins and why your liver is not getting rid of them....as that is the livers function, is it not?

I figured that post was either sarcasm or trolling, myself.
  • getfitgal123
    getfitgal123 Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    I also have PCOS and have found a ketogenic diet helpful and effective for me. Most PCOS women are insulin resistant and therefore have trouble losing weight with the traditional calories in/calories out model. We process sugar and carbs differently so those macros should be taken into account also. My endocrinologist recommended a low carb diet.

I say give it a go!
  • iFreebaseBacon
    iFreebaseBacon Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I am pro-keto. But everyone has to find what works for them. I started a ketogenic diet on 01.12.2014, and have since lost 56.5lbs. I find it incredibly easy and physically, I feel AMAZING. I had my cholesterol, triglycerides, etc. checked six weeks into this change and all my levels were good. I hope to have them checked again in the next few months. It is the easiest way of eating that I have ever followed. It absolutely works for me. I love it.
  • Veil5577
    Veil5577 Posts: 868 Member
    Options

I have NO idea what those are. But I posted this thread as it may be time to change my opinion on keto diets. Particularly if it can help me get to a point where I don't require medication for my insulin issues.

Ketosis sticks are available at the pharmacy without a prescription. You (excuse me) use them when you pee, like a pregnancy test, and the color of the strip shows if you are in ketosis or not.
  • iFreebaseBacon
    iFreebaseBacon Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I can't tell you whether you should or shouldn't try it, but I'll just say that if you're interested in it, a good place to start learning more is Lyle McDonald's book on the subject. Reddit actually has some pretty good resources for keto diets, particularly /r/ketogains. In my experience, keto diets require you to live with some restrictions and can require more effort than simple calorie/macro counting (particularly when it comes to a TKD/CKD, where nutrient timing is important), but keto diets do offer some benefits as well. Whether the pros outweigh the cons is really an individual determination.

I second the reddit suggestion. There is a thread just for ladies and keto, reddit.com/r/xxketo. You will find women there with PCOS and find it helpful. Good Luck!
  • seashel812
    seashel812 Posts: 25
    Options
    I am pro-keto. But everyone has to fine what works for them. I started a ketogenic diet on 01.12.2014, and have since lost 56.5lbs. I find it incredibly easy and physically, I feel AMAZING. I had my cholesterol, triglycerides, etc. checked six weeks into this change and all my levels were good. I hope to have them checked again in the next few months. It is the easiest way of eating that I have ever followed. It absolutely works for me. I love it.

I'm curious--why do you find keto the easiest way of eating that you have ever followed?
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options

not sure if serious...

or trolling.
  • Controversial
    Controversial Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    I've had fantastic success with it, though some of my own friends would suggest it's nothing but a recipe for failure. Many of people will mock you, but know that it will help tremendously if you stick to your guns and stay faithful to the plan.