Nerds Unite!

Options

Replies

• cyberbobcity
    cyberbobcity Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Any Carcassonne players on iOS? It's my favorite table top game!! I'm pretty ruthless though and mean in it... (but it's the only way to "really" play)
  • LadyGhostDuchess
    LadyGhostDuchess Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/21869-nerds-unite

HERE EVERYONE!
    I will update stuff as I get more time! Now we can nerd out in our own domain! IF YOU WANT TO BE A MODERATOR OR ANYTHING LET ME NOW!:drinker:
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options
    Seen a few writers on here. I think that's sort of a trend (myself included) among introverts. We don't spend as much time socializing as some other folks and sort of live in our heads. I wrote for about 5 years straight once, came up with some insanely oddball stuff (a trilogy about mutant bunnies from outer space as an example and a half finished volume on Atlantis that I got way too into).

I wonder how many other folks like me just have a collection of writings that they sort of keep to themselves or very close friends?

I don't go out of my way to keep my writing to myself. If someone asks, I'll happily share. Or I randomly post a snippet for teasing.

Here's the prologue for the one I'm working on (as I'm inspired, not daily).

The room is small, hot, dark and carries the scent of unwashed bodies. Soft moaning can be heard punctuated with gentle whispers of encouragement. A midwife is kneeling between the knees of a laboring woman.

Tension is high in the air, not what one would expect at such a joyous occasion. There is fear, heavy on the tongue, pressing on the hearts of those present. They mustn't be caught. The penalties are too severe, too permanent.

The faded curtains rustle in the wind as one last grunt, a soft cry fill the room. The mother helps the midwife clean her new son, tears of joy streaming down her face. The new dad looks on in awe. He’s beautiful. A ray of hope in this desolate world. And worth every moment of pain it took to bring him into this world. The hardest part is over - the months of hiding her pregnancy, planning, whispered conversations in dark rooms. He’s here. Her little Hidden baby has safely arrived, and she starts to feel something she hasn't felt in too long: Hope.

She brings him to her breast, and he begins rooting, his tiny fists waving in the air. As she assists him, the front door of their small hideout crashes in. Men fill the room, shouting, guns drawn. There is no time to hide, so she grips him tightly, thinking that if she holds him tightly enough, they won’t take him. She’s wrong. Her last thoughts are of love, before her world goes dark.
  • segovm
    segovm Posts: 512 Member
    Options

HERE EVERYONE!
    I will update stuff as I get more time! Now we can nerd out in our own domain! IF YOU WANT TO BE A MODERATOR OR ANYTHING LET ME NOW!:drinker:

I like you. I checked the Nerds Unite! name and it was available, filled stuff in and clicked save and you had it done already!

Heading over there as soon as I get back from errands!
  • LadyGhostDuchess
    Options

HERE EVERYONE!

I like you. I checked the Nerds Unite! name and it was available, filled stuff in and clicked save and you had it done already!

Heading over there as soon as I get back from errands!

I have a Trigger Finger :D
  • Knikels
    Knikels Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Great thread! <3 I usually lurk around these forums but maybe now's the time to post.

Nerds are awesome, I wish there were more around here where I live. (which is in like BFE) I'm 28 with about 30ish more lbs to lose. Cosplay was my motivation really, I can't wait to fabricate some cool stuff. Chances are if it's a nerdy thing, I am probably into it.(Way too many to list) Current obsession being Dr. Who.

Feel free to add meh!
  • texstorm
    texstorm Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Love this.

I'm a 47 year old husband, father, musician, fitness geek and lifetime nerd. Not a gamer (although I was at one time). Loved the comment someone made about there being probably some scientific formula that correlates sitting in front of a computer for all of your free time eating chips and drinking Mountain Dew and being overweight.

I'm a former avid comic book collector (even worked at a store in Southern California at one time), obsessive collector of sci-fi and fantasy films, science fiction fan and pretty much willing to argue any ridiculous point of view generated by comics, films or TV.

In the past 10 years I've shifted my nerditude to focus on fitness. Being obsessive about nutrition works just as well to keep me entertained as being obsessive about comics.

-Tex

KPP
  • endermako
    endermako Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    Yes I've done FTB Unleashed with my friends. We go Quantum armor and just raped everything. Madpack is harder :)
  • lhughes404
    lhughes404 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Only nerdy thing about me is that I LOVE Doctor Who. I have been watching it since I was 5. I even got my boyfriend into it. I have many Doctor Who costumes.
  • PinkyFett
    PinkyFett Posts: 842 Member
    Options
    I've been trying to add everyone.
    I got really annoyed by page 3 :'(
    WHY ARE THERE SO MANY WOW PLAYERS D:

I think there might be some scientific link between sitting in front of a computer for 8 hours at a time while drinking Mt. Dew and eating pizza and folks that need to lose weight.

Not sure what the connection is but I'm sure it's out there.

I've been wondering too since wow sucks now.

Downhill BIG time since lich king.

But, I was actually thin when I played 8 straight hours of wow. All I did was sit, get drunk, and raid/pvp

Good ol days.
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options
    Yes I've done FTB Unleashed with my friends. We go Quantum armor and just raped everything. Madpack is harder :)

I'll have to check it out. I get a certain point in FTB and then just get "meh". I'm always looking for fresh MC modpacks!
  • wolf39us
    wolf39us Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Wow, didn't expect this many posts on a thread such as this LOL.

I am an avid Anime fan (less the manga) and love to binge watch whatever show I get my hands on. I am a gamer and will play old school metro and new games (especially FPS).

I've been playing Magic: The Gathering since beta and am currently playing MTGO. I'm not much into MMO's but I did give it the old college try (played WoW for about 2 years).

I am also a science nerd and will watch hours of documentaries, watch debates and listen to podcasts while I'm working out lol
  • LadyGhostDuchess
    Options

HERE EVERYONE!
    Now we can nerd out in our own domain! IF YOU WANT TO BE A MODERATOR OR ANYTHING LET ME KNOW
  • mbauer013
    mbauer013 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Wow it's great to see all the nerds on here, just found this topic and had to reply. I'm definately a nerd, math and science club in school, LOVE Doctor Who, MST 3000, and gaming. I'm also a homebrewer nerd and am building a full electric brewery in my basement (that gets in the way of the fitness thing). I've dabbled in almost every nerdy thing there is and I'm also a technical research accountant, how's that for nerdy. I'll be over to join the group for sure.
  • KierstenBoBiersten
    KierstenBoBiersten Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I've been trying to add everyone.
    I got really annoyed by page 3 :'(
    WHY ARE THERE SO MANY WOW PLAYERS D:

I think there might be some scientific link between sitting in front of a computer for 8 hours at a time while drinking Mt. Dew and eating pizza and folks that need to lose weight.

Not sure what the connection is but I'm sure it's out there.
    Thank you for the incredibly informative answer. I think my intention was to ask a rhetorical question.
  • HarleyQuinn26
    HarleyQuinn26 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Hi there!

My name is Hayley and I have 164 pounds to lose. I am sort of a nerd. I like video games but my favorite ones to play are fighting games (tekken, soul calibur, street fighter, etc).

I have wanted to cosplay as Harley Quinn but my size keeps me from doing it because her outfits are rather revealing and tight.

I love comic books. I have been into comic books a little over a year now and I just love them!

Anyone feel free to add me.
  • Ohwhynot
    Ohwhynot Posts: 356 Member
    Options

But, I was actually thin when I played 8 straight hours of wow. All I did was sit, get drunk, and raid/pvp

Good ol days.

*sniff* Memories...
  • emsi3
    emsi3 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    hello fellow nerds,

I'm Emma, 28 and I'm trying to eat healthy and maybe lose some pounds. I've already lost 24 since joining a couple of months ago. I'm also looking for friends.. friends with open food diaries so i can look at what you eat! So please add me!

I enjoy star trek, Doctor who pretty much anything sci fi. I also game a lot.. or at least i used to until i started being more active.. I enjoy minecraft, sims, WoW.. alot of WoW. I'm also a big fan of horror movies.
  • ximenia
    ximenia Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I'm Xim, I'm 28 years old, female and a member of the 501st legion, TK81337. (For non star wars nerds that means I'm a real stormtrooper)

The last troop I was on ended in some serious bruises because my armor is too tight, looks like I put on some weight over the holidays lol. That's what initially got me into gear, but I figured while I'm at it, I'd like to actually be fit and toned so that I can cosplay Jinx from League of Legends at the next PAX east, and if I'm super lucky maybe I can wear a bikini this summer.

So yeah, I'm pretty nerdy, I'm a software engineer, I love to cosplay and play video games and I write my own games in my free time. I would love some more nerdy friends on here so feel free to add me :-)

Edit: I figured I'd add in what online games I play which are LoL, Aion, Dota2 and I'll be going back to SWGEmu once they do another server wipe.
  • linoleumbob
    linoleumbob Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone!

I'm Ashley, I'm 23. A few years ago I dropped from ~180lbs to 150lbs and I've stayed at this weight since then. Now I'm trying to get down to around 125-130, so I have 20-25 lbs to lose.

I like comics (big Deadpool fan), but I'm mostly a video game nerd. Right now I'm playing Bastion, Fallout 3: New Vegas, always playing Skyrim on and off, and I want to try Transistor when it finally goes on sale.

Saw tons of people here talking about cosplay - I'm a big cosplayer! This year for our local expo I went as Kaylee from Firefly and Catelyn Stark from GoT. If anyone wants pictures I can dig them up, it was ridiculously fun.

Nice to meet y'all :)