Nerds Unite!

Options

Replies

• zilkah
    zilkah Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    hi, new here, and my name is Megan.. figures I would stumble into the nerd thread first.

I'm not here to lose a lot of weight, only about 5-10 pounds that I would like to replace with muscle, but I'm trying to get a more active lifestyle since I spend too much time parked in front of my computer.

I like League of Legends, used to competitively play in MMOs as a mage healer/dps but I no longer do. I like anime, reading, and binge watching on Netflix. I watch people stream League of Legends.

Anyway, trying to be a little more active. I do my Netflix watching on the treadmill now but I have a really hard time staying motivated.
    Nice to meet you all :)
  • conqueringsquidlette
    conqueringsquidlette Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    So every time I see the word "unite" I now read it as "untie" in my head. Every. Time.

Stupid memes.

main-qimg-88d9aa26655cfd629384cc41042af2dd
  • Holly_belle
    Holly_belle Posts: 4,042 Member
    Options
    Nerds Rule!

Hi, my name is Holly. I am a huge Potter head, Star Wars and Lego's nerd. Just got the new Ghostbusters set last night. :bigsmile: Don't do much online gaming besides Kingdoms of Camelot on my phone/tablet. Got wayyy too obsessed with it for like 6 months and had to back out of that some too. It started taking over my free time. LOL.

I recently got engaged to my equally nerdtastic fiance. We are planning a Lego Star Wars themed wedding. Its gonna be epic!
  • tinkbaby101
    tinkbaby101 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I am a NaNoWriMo Winner (the book was a Titanic book go figure lol)

Woo, a fellow WriMo! :love:
  • bravosixone
    Options
    hey, I'm a wookiee with 50-75#s to loose.

I don't know if I'm a nerd, maybe I'm a geek? I don't game, at all, hold's no interest to me. I used to tabletop and LARP, but when I moved back out into the country, there's not a lot of people who share that interest, so I spent more time hiking, biking, hunting, fishing, and working my garden. Then, a year ago, I messed up my leg, aaaand it's never gotten better, aaaaand now I have nerve damage, SO as you can imagine, I've spent a lot of time in front of the tv over the past year, most especially over the past 5 months as I've been off work, and can't enjoy any of my outdoorsy "healthy" hobbies sense I can't walk on uneven ground, or at all at times.

I'm on here cause I gained a bunch of weight sense I got injured. My job was actually pretty physically intense, and the wife and I used to walk after work to blow off steam and visit without sitting around the house. Now she does all that stuff without me, and we're both pretty sure I should get paid by the hour to watch SYFY and BBC.
  • Sondicalondi
    Sondicalondi Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I am not your target market, but my son is! 20, skinny, and needs to exercise and lift badly!! I am sending him your website, he is serious gamer. He met his girlfriend on Runescape. Good luck to you-great idea!!
  • Tigre_Lily
    Tigre_Lily Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    One of these days I will compelete Disgaea 2 on my psp... then probably play it again.

add me if you want.
  • LadyGhostDuchess
    LadyGhostDuchess Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/21869-nerds-unite Hey yall! Do not forget to join our group :)
  • LadyGhostDuchess
    Options

Camp NanNo is soon! :)
    I don't think I am going to be participating in it though.
  • tinkbaby101
    tinkbaby101 Posts: 180 Member
    Options

July! Not sure if I'm going to participate, either. The good thing about camp is that you can set your own goals, though! So you can edit, or add onto a piece, if you're not up for writing a new one. Or you can write a short story, a fanfic, etc. I like that it's more laid back... but that leads to me not finishing. I need rules! Structure! Deadlines!
  • KameHameHaaa
    KameHameHaaa Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    Hi there :] My name is Abby, I'm 29 with 200 lbs to lose. I've always wanted to go to an anime convention and do some cosplaying but never have because of my weight. Really hoping that after I get close to the size I want that i'll be able to start doing that.

I've been an anime fan for 20-some years now. Eventually my love for it got me travelling to Japan and staying in Okinawa for a month with cousins. I'd love to eventually be able to go back.

I also roleplay, and write short fantasy stories. All my roleplay has been textual, dating back to the chatrooms of AOL 3.0.... to this day I still keep in touch with some of the buds I RP'd with back when I was like 10 :)

Abby and everyone else who said they didn't want to cosply because of their weight - I'm a photographer and shot an anime convention last year. It was super fun and there were people of all shapes, sizes, ages, etc. there. Don't wait - just go. You'll be glad you did! Everyone there had a great time and the people there were so accepting of everyone's different styles and interests.

That is awesome to hear :) I have a lot of self-esteem and self-image issues I need to get past. It's really kept me from partaking in something I've loved for two decades.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    Well I may not look like it but I am a nerd...

I have been playing this old RPG NTK from KRU (formerly Nexon US) for 3 years...my husband brought me to it. He's been playing it since 1994. I have a Healer (Poet) for my Warrior husband...it's 2d so most wouldn't play it but we love it.

We sit for hours and play (yes I still managed to lose the weight)

But since I am tad older, I love Star trek...Captian Kirk in reruns is what got me hooked and watched every series since then, I own all the harry potter books and movies and love watching them repeatedly

We love game of thrones, Vikings our movie choices for the theater is always Xmen or something sci fi...

Immortals books and movies, Anything written by Anne Bishop is read in a day...haven't read her new one yet but waiting for my sister in law to send it up.
  • tamwins
    tamwins Posts: 22
    Options
    I admit, I can be a little nerdy sometimes. I'm mostly an anime nerd though. I started watching less anime when college started, but it still holds a special place in me. My favorites include Neon Genesis Evangelion, Cowboy Bebop, Magi, and Natsume Yuujinchou. I'm not a hefty gamer, but I love following the Pokémon and Legend of Zelda franchise. I'm very frugal about games, but I will go to the ends of the earth for those two series. I also enjoy Persona, NieR Replicant, Resident Evil, and Touhou. One of the reasons why I started to lose weight was to attend an anime convention and cosplay. I want to feel confident in my cosplay when the time comes. I hope to attend a convention sometime next year!

I also love Game of Thrones so hit me up if you do too.The Walking Dead and Parks and Recreation are also some of my other favorites. I also like anything Wes Anderson so we can also bond over Wes Anderson too.

I'm also love reading so feel free to ask about books too!
    While we're at it, talk to me about classical music too. I'm a music education major.
  • Flutterloo
    Flutterloo Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Heeeeey I play FFXIV too ^_^ Used to play WoW, but meh. It's gone downhill, lol.

I've gotten into anime in recent years which I never thought would happen. First one I ever saw was NGE. One of my favorites is probably Full Metal Panic. I have quite a few nerdy interests actually, I shouldn't list them all here XD

Feel free to add me! The more friends the merrier :-)
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options
    Seen a few writers on here. I think that's sort of a trend (myself included) among introverts. We don't spend as much time socializing as some other folks and sort of live in our heads. I wrote for about 5 years straight once, came up with some insanely oddball stuff (a trilogy about mutant bunnies from outer space as an example and a half finished volume on Atlantis that I got way too into).

I wonder how many other folks like me just have a collection of writings that they sort of keep to themselves or very close friends?

I don't go out of my way to keep my writing to myself. If someone asks, I'll happily share. Or I randomly post a snippet for teasing.

Here's the prologue for the one I'm working on (as I'm inspired, not daily).

The room is small, hot, dark and carries the scent of unwashed bodies. Soft moaning can be heard punctuated with gentle whispers of encouragement. A midwife is kneeling between the knees of a laboring woman.

Tension is high in the air, not what one would expect at such a joyous occasion. There is fear, heavy on the tongue, pressing on the hearts of those present. They mustn't be caught. The penalties are too severe, too permanent.

The faded curtains rustle in the wind as one last grunt, a soft cry fill the room. The mother helps the midwife clean her new son, tears of joy streaming down her face. The new dad looks on in awe. He’s beautiful. A ray of hope in this desolate world. And worth every moment of pain it took to bring him into this world. The hardest part is over - the months of hiding her pregnancy, planning, whispered conversations in dark rooms. He’s here. Her little Hidden baby has safely arrived, and she starts to feel something she hasn't felt in too long: Hope.

She brings him to her breast, and he begins rooting, his tiny fists waving in the air. As she assists him, the front door of their small hideout crashes in. Men fill the room, shouting, guns drawn. There is no time to hide, so she grips him tightly, thinking that if she holds him tightly enough, they won’t take him. She’s wrong. Her last thoughts are of love, before her world goes dark.

AAAhhhhhhh! You can't leave me hanging like that! What happens? Where can I read the rest of this??!!

Best compliment ever. Thank you :flowerforyou:
  • lilithsrose
    lilithsrose Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    My name is Ally. I'm a 22 year old computer technician. I'm into reading, computers, comic books, watching anime, steampunk, and renaissance festivals. I collect fairies, dragons, gemstones and books. I am very interested in studying science, literature and mythology.

Favorite Anime/Manga: FMA, Black Butler, Sailor Moon, Deadman Wonderland, Inukami and Digimon

Favorite TV Shows: Game of Thrones, Doctor Who, Grimm, The Walking Dead, Agents of Shield, Sleepy Hollow and Futurama

Favorite Authors: Richelle Mead, Neil Gaiman, PC Cast, Holly Black and Karen Marie Moning
  • LadyGhostDuchess
    Options

July! Not sure if I'm going to participate, either. The good thing about camp is that you can set your own goals, though! So you can edit, or add onto a piece, if you're not up for writing a new one. Or you can write a short story, a fanfic, etc. I like that it's more laid back... but that leads to me not finishing. I need rules! Structure! Deadlines!

lol but I can do that any time :P
  • TechNerd42
    TechNerd42 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    Long time nerd here. My Doctor is 4, my favorite Doctor is the current one. (whomever that happens to be.) Grew up watching Dr. Who, and other British shows on PBS (You've all done very well!). I cycle through primary interests. Right now I'm playing Skyrim again, before that was Mass Effect, which I'll be going back to. Have to finish 2 and then play 3 (I bought the trilogy, never played them before.) and I'm reading "A Song of Ice and Fire" and slowly watching GoT (slowly because my daughter is watching with me, and she has to be caught up on schoolwork for the week before we can watch. We're in the second season, and I'm on the second book. I don't mind spoilers though. for that anyway.) But sometimes I'll read more and play games less (I devoured the Wheel of Time series in a little over a month.) Love the Marvel universe (movies and tv - Coulson is awesome) and would probably love comics, but there's too little story in each episode, so I prefer the collected novels. Although I still prefer prose.

I wouldn't mind trying out cosplay someday. The biggest obstacle I face, is the cost. I had a great pirate costume, that I finally gave away because I was too small for it (yay) but I was tired of it before that (It was gifted to me in 1999), but couldn't justify the cost of something else. Maybe one day, when I'm out of debt (next year sometime) I'll start scouring the countryside for some good things to play. I'm really looking forward to outfits with corsets (have to give mine away, because it's too big for me now too, but can't justify the cost of a new one until I lose the weight and keep it off for a bit.)

I'm also a big fan of spreadsheets. I actually have one I use on an almost daily basis to figure out serving sizes for food I cook. Been playing with them for almost 20 years.

2 years ago I got an AS in networking services and began working for a local company doing internal help desk work. Thankfully, the place is an IT firm (healthcare IT) and there are a lot of software developers and other technology minded people. The kind of people who will nod and smile if I walk into the office with a towel on May 25th, and might even have one themselves. :) Heck, one of my coworkers (teammate, sysadmin) gave me the best compliment. I was talking about something (I don't remember what, probably a spreadsheet or something,) and he looked me in the eye and deadpanned, "You are *such* a nerd." Higher praise was never spoken. :)
  • jfboomer
    jfboomer Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Hello, my name is Joel and I am a nerd.
    I am going to back and read everyone’s posts, but I wanted get in on this right away.
    I love Dr. Who, Star Wars (the original trilogy), Firefly, Star Trek, Stargate, Sherlock, Marvel Walking Dead, and who doesn’t love Dr. Horrible’s Sing Along Blog?. :laugh:
    I am an avid reader of manga: Kenichi, Breaker New Waves, Rosario + Vampire, Love Hina, etc., and I love anime and most things Japanese: games, figures, food :D (Does this make me an Otaku?)
    Being a bit older (43), I remember playing on my brother’s TRS 80 and creating a program to generate D&D characters, but I didn’t get my first computer till I was in my mid 20’s I have never played a MMORPG, but they look like fun! I am currently still playing Oblivion. Would love to play Skyrim, but my computer couldn’t handle it I’m afraid. :ohwell:
    I am so glad I found this discussion! I have found my brothers and sisters! Anyone, please feel free to send me a FR!
  • jessupbrady
    jessupbrady Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    Definite Nerd/Geek here.
    Love Sci/fi - books, movie, tv, whatever I can consume. Love to find out what others enjoy so I can add to my collection.
    I call my cat a tribble, my kids are scared to blink, and my dog is named after a character in a paranormal romance novel.

Once upon a time I ran my own BBS. Yep, I'm that old.

I love MMO; and get caught up a lot with various ones with my kids and don't often get to the ones I want.

I'm a software developer. So, that keeps my fingers to a keyboard!