How 'big' is too 'big' for a speedo?

Options

Replies

• snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    If I see a guy in a speedo, I honestly assume he's gay. Not many straight guys under the age of 50 wear them.

I've seen the best bods here at the pool in Speedos, and I can assure you they are not gay----my husband swims with me too. You don't know what you're missing ladies
    your loss!
  • Iwishyouwell
    Iwishyouwell Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options

I live in Europe and agree with this poster. I also swim at the pool in Rome all year round and all the men are in Speedos---it's just normal, and when some American tourist shows up in board shorts, he looks really out of place. Perhaps the Europeans look at the body differently since the museums here are full of classical sculpture of both sexes--nude.

Sadly, yes, many citizens of the USA would assume a lot of European men were gay based off the general acceptable attire there, both in the water and out.

In general, European men are better dressed, wear more body conscious clothing, and rock more revealing swimwear than their US counterparts. And many of them would be assumed as "gay" by lots of people here.

It's pathetic, but that's how it is.
  • skyblue2001
    Options
    My automatic thought is "douche canoe" when I see a dude in a speedo.

Stop the speedo shaming. You can do it man. Don't let these women who think you have to have a certain look to wear a swimsuit hold you back.

tumblr_lur837WXG81r0qfn7o1_500.gif

If my speedo shaming saves even one man from looking like a product used to clean a hoo-hoo, then my work is done.
  • MuscleHeadNerd74
    MuscleHeadNerd74 Posts: 1,930 Member
    Options
    No way dude I live in germany and traveled around, have you been to beaches in the USA we have better bulit americans then in europe good try dude
  • oregonzoo
    oregonzoo Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    I hate them and don't want to see them.
    But whatever rock out with you......... you know.

However, if you are a swim instructor teaching my 5 year old to swim, please wear trunks. It's disturbing.
  • MuscleHeadNerd74
    Options
    :smile: :laugh:
  • dolcemaria81
    dolcemaria81 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    If a man is in awsome shape whats wrong in seeing him wear his speedo?
  • MuscleHeadNerd74
    Options
    lol... no not happening i rather be naked
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    I think the only people who like men in speedos are gay men !!

wait, I'm a gay man now?

Last time I checked I was female. I had 2 babies and breastfed both of them, so that's more evidence that I'm definitely female.

But I don't doubt that gay men like speedos... I mean who wouldn't? Other than some Americans (for some unfathomable reason)...
  • mrpurdy
    mrpurdy Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    My hubby looks HOT in a Speedo! Why is it so taboo here in the States? It's normal everywhere else!
  • slouw10
    slouw10 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    NO! Please do not - No matter what size you are - Speedo - NOOOOOO! It is just not pretty!
  • AprilJane1522
    Options
    My hubby looks HOT in a Speedo! Why is it so taboo here in the States? It's normal everywhere else!

Its not normal here in aussie or NZ.
    Speedos are for the over 60's and the dads that want to shame their kids.
    Once I did something really bad and my dad threatened to go to my school swim class in speedo's. I repented for my evil ways and never did it again (I think?)
  • leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    Options
    If I see a guy in a speedo, I honestly assume he's gay. Not many straight guys under the age of 50 wear them.

So a women in bikini is automatically a thespian?

If all you see is X people wearing Y, you're going to form associations between the two things. The only other swimsuit thing I can think of is that moms typically wear tankinis/one pieces, just because I don't know of anyone in my age group/without children who wears them. In both cases (speedo = gay or older man, one piece = mother), I wouldn't use the information to make any comments or insinuations to the person wearing the outfit.
  • Galatea_Stone
    Galatea_Stone Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    Visual aids are necessary.

Yes.

a4a5c217b5c082b32e56e00a92ded9a5_zpsec28bf6b.jpg

No.

81a9c8e9-b1f6-4544-9489-f38f6ef3c376_zpsb48d1605.jpg
  • ritan7471
    ritan7471 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Americans are hilarious. Speedos, and other shorter bathing suits, are perfectly normal in the majority of the rest of the world. Wearing swim attire like long board shorts, which are essentially almost pants, actually makes little sense for swimming and is not the worldwide norm at all.

Why are we so damn squeamish and prudish in this country? OH NO, he has a PENIS?!!!!!!

I think men should wear whatever they feel comfortable in. If it's a speed, go on brother, rock it and don't give a crap what anyone else thinks.

I live in Europe and agree with this poster. I also swim at the pool in Rome all year round and all the men are in Speedos---it's just normal, and when some American tourist shows up in board shorts, he looks really out of place. Perhaps the Europeans look at the body differently since the museums here are full of classical sculpture of both sexes--nude. Kids on school trips are always going through and it's normal for them. The human body as art. Ladies we're not in the Victorian Age any longer----Do you want to wear a chardor? Let the guys wear what they want. :smile:

And it's not even rocking what they feel comfortable in. At every swimming hall I've visited here where I live in Europe, Board shorts are not just discouraged, they're not allowed. Everyone wears speedos here, and at first it seemed a bit odd, but now it's just what people wear to the pool.
  • Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,012 Member
    Options
    LOL! Unless he's a competitive swimmer actually wearing it for a swim meet, any size is too big for a speedo!

That's Sexist!!!
  • Pipsg1rl
    Pipsg1rl Posts: 1,414 Member
    Options
    LOL! Unless he's a competitive swimmer actually wearing it for a swim meet, any size is too big for a speedo!

This.

I almost died at Disney World's water parks...
  • _John_
    _John_ Posts: 8,642 Member
    Options

This.

seriously...what happens when a speedo wearing guy goes down Summit Plummet?
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options

This.

Oh, yes, all the Europeans ... :-)

I was at the pool at a friend's gym a few years ago and this guy with a serious ... well, let's just say he was excited ... wearing a tiny red Speedo walked in and walked all the way around the pool and stood talking to people and even though he had a towel, he made NO attempt to cover that thing up.