The peanut butter must go

Options

Replies

• StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    I'm good with peanut butter - PB&J is a quick, affordable lunch. (Add misc. raw veggies.) Sandwich is about 250 calories, with 24g (3/4 of a typical '2 tablespoon serving') PB. Had 16g PB a few minutes ago spread over 5 crackers for an afternoon snack.

We all have our weaknesses. For me its Twizzlers cherry flavored nibs. I can't buy them. Will finish the bag and then have that sick-to-my-stomach feeling for hours from eating too much candy. Could ha
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    I want to talk about peanut butter. See, I'm losing weight - and it's been going well, so far I've lost 18 kgs - but I think that peanut butter is slowing my weight loss down. Every time I buy a jar I finish it in a few days... yes I put a LOT of it on my sandwiches! ;) And that would've been no problem if not for the fact that peanut butter is one of the most calorie-dense things you can put on a sandwich.

I've been doing this for a long time and though moderation would be a good idea, for me it's not working. So, what would you put on your bread if peanut butter was no option? ;)
    The solution to this problem is not eliminating peanut butter, it's eating less of it.

If you are losing weight, moderation IS working for you. Take that practice to the peanut butter jar.
  • danimalkeys
    danimalkeys Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    I'd keep the peanut butter and skip the bread you put it on!
  • CindyMarcuzAdams
    CindyMarcuzAdams Posts: 4,006 Member
    Options
    I am a lover of pb n j but I have discovered chocolate cream cheese. Half the calories of pb and so good...
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    avocado and a slice of ham on toast is a yummy breakfast
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    I don't eat much bread at all! Oats are my go-to for breakfast, and rice thins are the base I choose for lunch. I just put jam or margarine on bread if I have it, or have no spread at all when I'm making a sandwich. Guessing that's not helpful for you though.

If you must have peanut butter, consider using less of it. Remember that a serve is 20g generally, which is a thin coat on two slices of bread. A thin coat on one slice of bread (the other slice plain) tastes just the same when you combine them.
    I have 16 grams of peanut butter in my oatmeal. Sometimes I have 20 or 25 or 32 grams, depending on my calories allowance for the day. DELICIOUS!
  • cbhjj01
    cbhjj01 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I love peanut butter too, and could eat it all the time. I have found that PB2 works awesome in sandwiches and has 85% less fat, you should definitely give it a try if you haven't
  • jconnon
    jconnon Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    I just skip the bread, but thats just me.
  • sisterlilbunny
    sisterlilbunny Posts: 691 Member
    Options
    I will gladly help you all out and take any and all peanut butter than you don't want. No no, don't thank me, just give me your jars of peanutty goodness. :)
  • amberjoy84
    amberjoy84 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I'm allergic to peanuts :( That being said, if I have a sandwich (watching carbs), I have deli sliced turkey and veggies.
  • doirone
    doirone Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Pretty ridiculous how excited I just got after reading this topic and then realizing I have celery in the fridge and peanut butter in my drawer at work!!
  • jasonmh630
    jasonmh630 Posts: 2,850 Member
    Options
    I am a lover of pb n j but I have discovered chocolate cream cheese. Half the calories of pb and so good...

I LOVE peanut butter and have it almost daily, but this ^^^ sounds REALLY good.
  • MelsAuntie
    MelsAuntie Posts: 2,833 Member
    Options
    Crystallized ginger spread. Nutella.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I've been doing this for a long time and though moderation would be a good idea, for me it's not working. So, what would you put on your bread if peanut butter was no option? ;)

Tuna, chicken, turkey, egg. Whatever you like.
  • LoupGarouTFTs
    LoupGarouTFTs Posts: 916 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't get rid of the peanut butter. I'd just get rid of the "spreading it on" if you're not measuring it. I use peanut butter for loads of things, but I generally don't eat peanut butter sandwiches any longer. Two tablespoons in my oatmeal or one tablespoon for a slice of bread as someone else recommended. It tastes good, it provides a healthy fat, and you like it--so why get rid of it?
  • jasonmh630
    jasonmh630 Posts: 2,850 Member
    Options
    I love peanut butter too, and could eat it all the time. I have found that PB2 works awesome in sandwiches and has 85% less fat, you should definitely give it a try if you haven't

What's wrong with the fat in PB?? It's GOOD fats that your body needs. It just happens to be calorie dense for what a serving size is. :/
  • Eleonora91
    Eleonora91 Posts: 688 Member
    Options
    I have peanut butter everyday for breakfast and I can tell you I used to crave it all day long at the beginning, because it's delicious, but I'm now at a point in which my cravings are reasonabily under control and I literally enjoy waking up because I know I'll be eating my daily peanut butter then. I still have 2 unopene jars and I'm sticking to eat the 20 gr I allow myself daily. My suggestion would be to buy the smallest jar you can find or trying to share it with someone else until you get used to eat smaller quantities instead of eating the whole jar all at once.
  • kikityme
    kikityme Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    Kraft makes a whipped peanut butter that is a little lower in calories and still sooooo good!

I stopped putting it on bread and switched to English muffins. They're smaller, so the tablespoon of pb (measured!) feels like a lot of pb.
  • Howdoyoufeeltoday
    Howdoyoufeeltoday Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    A world without peanut butter is not a world I want to live in. But you can make a sandwich out of pretty much anything - sometimes when I'm super lazy I make a toast sandwich. It's exactly what it sounds like and the shame is real.

HAHA I've had a rather crummy day and this made me laugh! Bravo sir, you get a gold star!! :drinker: :laugh:

Seriously though, I can't live without peanut butter. I would first cut out other fats like oil and butter before I cut out peanut butter. I could essentially just eat peanut butter all day and I would be more then happy. Instead of making a sandwich out of it use it for something else like your oatmeal or a protein shake.
  • Menix8
    Menix8 Posts: 210 Member
    Options

What's wrong with the fat in PB?? It's GOOD fats that your body needs. It just happens to be calorie dense for what a serving size is. :/

There's nothing wrong with the fat in PB, unless you're watching calories closer than macros, and want a lower calorie option that tastes similar.