Turning 51 and REALLY serious this time. Anyone else?

Options

Replies

• RoeD731
    RoeD731 Posts: 2
    Options
    Yes I am in that boat! :smile:
  • twinteensmom
    twinteensmom Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    Turned 51 this past April and in this for the rest of my life. I wasn't healthy enough to chase after and play with my children like I should have but, I will be here for the grandchildren when they start arriving! Add me, if you would like.
  • LKM54
    LKM54 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    :drinker: coffee, coffee, coffee! It looks like I am the oldest at 53! I am sure there are others...Turning 50 was the biggie. I had been in peril menopause for over 7 years though and now menopause. All the symptoms to navigate had no idea! Anyone have sleep problems try Calms by Hyland. It is a homeopathic remedy and works wonders. Meanwhile, I have learned that I ain't in Kansas anymore. The weight thing for me has been a bust for over 10 years. I want the benefits but don't want to do the portion work. In any case, I keep trying hopefully I can do it this time round. Have a great day off to do firm :tongue:
  • kburns213
    kburns213 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I totally understand. I run. I lift weights. I just really, really love food.
  • cossmoss15
    cossmoss15 Posts: 509 Member
    Options
    57 years old here! Let me tell you it doesn’t get any easier. I’ve got around 10 lbs I’d like to get rid of. It seems the older I get the harder it is to lose and so of course it takes more willpower!
  • newme20014
    Options
    Not 51 yet... 47 and getting very serious again with the weight loss.. 2 years ago I lost 80 Lbs and got to comfy and have let myself go.. Need to lose what I have regained.. Need friends !!
  • ddkphotos
    ddkphotos Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    turning 49 this year... feel free to add me!
  • Flubbermum
    Options
    51 this year with a lot to lose and I can't really blame age as I have been obese since having first child 12 years ago. I'm taking a different approach by weighing every day as I find it helps to graph and project (no wonder I'm an accountant!): I suppose it's just finding what works for each of us as individuals. 9lb lost so far in 5 weeks but I don't expect it to carry on at the same rate for the whole journey!
  • Lippylikes
    Options
    Hi I am Jules and I am a 50 year old from Glasgow in Scotland. I have been a yoyo dieter for years but its time to start thinking of the impact this excess weight will have on my health. I have just over 30 lbs to loss to get into the normal weight range so thats where I am aimIng first but will probably be happiest at the lower end of that scale so maybe as much as 60 to loss eurgh. I am taking it a stone at a time though by following a high protein diet - 1200 calories a day - eating my exercise cals - weight training 3 times a week - walking/jogging the other 3. Would love some friends to keep me motivated x
  • Peloton2019
    Peloton2019 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I turned 51 in December. Feel free to add me too.
  • RUNNING_AMOK_1958
    RUNNING_AMOK_1958 Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    How about someone who is even older than you who was in a much bigger boat but has rowed it to the other side. Please read my profile for the whole story.

Would love to support you. Add me if you would like.
  • Calliope610
    Calliope610 Posts: 3,775 Member
    Options
    I joined MFP in Oct 2012 at age 50. I started logging my food and exercise daily in Mar 2013. In 490 days, I have lost 48lbs. I will 52 on Tuesday and feel better than I have in years!

I still have about 30-40lbs to go, but I'm getting there at a rate of 3lbs/month by eating at a moderate deficit (1440 cals + 75%exercise cals), walking 20+miles/wk and strength training 3x/wk.

Check out my profile; if you like what you see, add me.
  • jambo1001
    jambo1001 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I'm turning 52 next month, gained 80 lbs or so the last few years, ready to deal with it, been working at it two months, lost 30 lbs!
    Friend me if you'd like
  • kar328
    kar328 Posts: 4,156 Member
    Options
    Turned 50 in March, down 50 lbs. Celebrated both with a really nice birthstone ring, not food. Definitely serious this time, last serious attempt was in my 20s and I've passed the number of pounds I lost back then.

Friends welcome. :flowerforyou:
  • OtakuMusician
    OtakuMusician Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I'm only 20, so bit of an age difference, hahaha, but best of luck to all of you! <3
  • meltedsno
    meltedsno Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    YOU CAN DO IT!!! It was my "really serious this time" moment July 1 2013. Unlike a lot of you, I've never ever had the experience of being thin. I have always been overweight. I remember having to be weighed in front of my entire 4th grade class and the scale said 99 pounds. At my highest (about 8 years ago) I weighed 270 lbs.... at 5'2", that is a chunk of weight! I've lost and gained a ton of weight over the years, but never was serious enough to stick with it.

Not sure what happened last July, except that I was turning 58 years old and vowed that I will not be a old fat 60 year old.... I gave myself 2 years to work on reaching my goal.... I weighed myself on July 1, 2013 and realized that I had a good 100 pounds to lose... have only been weighed once since then -- at the end of November and only because I was having surgery on a broken wrist and was required to have a pre op physical... imagine my surprise when I had dropped 52 pounds! It is now 7 months later... haven't weighed since November, but can tell you this much... I started out a year ago wearing a very tight size 18 (down from a size 26 --largest I ever wore)... yesterday, I bought a pair of size 4 jeans... NEVER in my life did I think I'd be this size...

I feel great.. people tell me I look great ... I am experiencing parts of my body I have never known existed! I have hip bones! I have ribs! I have a collarbone! Of course, because I was overweight all my life, I also have a bit of loose skin, but that's what Spanx are for... :-) Point is... doesn't matter what age you are, it's never too late to make changes. I've achieved my goal a year early...so maybe the next step is getting myself a personal trainer and building a bit of muscle before my 60th birthday!
  • Paleovmw
    Paleovmw Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Hi I am Jules and I am a 50 year old from Glasgow in Scotland. I have been a yoyo dieter for years but its time to start thinking of the impact this excess weight will have on my health. I have just over 30 lbs to loss to get into the normal weight range so thats where I am aimIng first but will probably be happiest at the lower end of that scale so maybe as much as 60 to loss eurgh. I am taking it a stone at a time though by following a high protein diet - 1200 calories a day - eating my exercise cals - weight training 3 times a week - walking/jogging the other 3. Would love some friends to keep me motivated x

Happy to be friends now. My story is so similar. IF there is a diet, I have tried it. LOL I have recently found a new way of eating (diet) that I plan on staying with. It is working well with 45 - 60 minutes of exercize 6 times a week. I am losing steadily. :smile:

I still get my espresso and wine. What could be better! :) Happy "Losing" day to you! V
  • Paleovmw
    Options
    :happy:
  • Paleovmw
    Options
    I just turned 51 in April.

I suffered a series of 7 heart attacks over the past 3 months, that went unrecognized until the 7th one on May 26th. They saved me with only 2 hours to spare and gave me a stent.

I am recovering nicely, and expect I will keep doing so.

I am only walking right now, until they clear me for weight lifting and mountain biking.

I have completely changed my diet from only fast food, to a Paleo diet and zero fast food. I'm losing weight at one pound per day.

I have no choice but to be serious about my fitness, or i'll be back in the hospital getting more stents.

Now that hospital is one of the finest I have ever been in, and everyone there treated me like a king. But I have no plans to go through that again any time soon.

Wow! So glad you lived through 7 heart attacks. Whoa!!!

I am Paleo too. Would love to have a Paleo friend here to talk to about the way of life. I am impressed with the one pound loss a day. I am not losing that much. Only about one pound every three days. Friend me if you want or we can be friends on this thread. Vickie
  • wakjo
    wakjo Posts: 1
    Options
    I'm turning 51 in September, had a few health issues (all since turning 50 haha) but would now like to actually commit to eating healthily & losing weight. I seem to be a serial stop/start dieter so feel that having some support in this community will help me along the way. Would really love to have some friends but not really sure how to go about it.