Runners-"Dead" Legs

Options
13»

Replies

• itodd4019
    itodd4019 Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    Fellow Runners-

I'm tring to get a feel for what other folks do to ease that heavy feeling you can sometimes get in your legs...

I have been stretching for about 15 minutes before/after my mid to long runs (7-12 mi) and that seems to help a little. I've also tried compression socks, but I'm not totally convinced they are doing much to help. I could probably drink more water than I do sometimes... I'm just curious as to what other folks do!

-Dani
    Without reading all the other posts, because I don't want to get caught up in a debate.

Static strecthcing before running is not a good idea. You stretch "cold" connective tissue, adn in the long run is not good. Do dynamic stretches, like tin soldier, lunges, mountain climbers, but not too many. Static stretching and foam rolling are great after your run.

Heavy legs while running is an electrolite issue. Sodium, calcium, manesium and potassium. Not sure how far you are running, nor how solid your diet is, but you are probably low on electrolites. Try Endurolytes during your runs.

As a test for electrolyte deficiency, I'd bet if you took a couple magnesium you would actually feel it within about 10 minutes.

that's my .02

sweat Daily!
  • itodd4019
    Options
    oh - 20+ miles is a runner/runner.-- you are deficient in electrolytes! Try endurolytes. I use them on any run over 90 minutes. They are purely pot,cal,mag,and sod.
  • tturley
    tturley Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Make sure you're adequately fueled. To few calories before the run will cause you to run out of energy. Refuel during longer runs. I've try to get 60 to 100 calories an hour during my long runs. I carry apple slices and sometimes have diluted orange juice in my water bottles.

Make sure you're getting enough potassium. Potatoes(900mg), V8 juice(640mg), OJ(450mg for 8oz) and of course bananas(420mg) are all good sources.
  • itodd4019
    Options
    There've been some studies done by a sports scientist in Cape Town - I forget his name - about this. His argument that this sensation is mental, not physical - that essentially, it's your brain telling your legs they can't go further, not the other way round. He suggests there are ways of training your brain to send that message out at later threshholds. But I can't remember for the life of me how he suggested you do that. I know he wrote a book about it.

Do I win a prize for least helpful post of the year?

that's called LT , lactate threshold. And though your mind sends the signal to realease the acid, the acid is physical. you can not run thru it, you have to slow down or stop and rest. BUT- you can train to LT with intervals and such.

oh boy, ok, I'm gunna stop. Can;t afford to lose a day on this. haha forum! so addictive.
  • rassha01
    rassha01 Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    Never do static stretching before a run, only dynamic. Static after.

Static stretching beforehand can actually reduce your performance.

This. Also if I know I worked hard I use a baseball or softball a couple hours after my run to roll around on my hamstrings to help loosen them up.
  • Phildog47
    Phildog47 Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    You're overdoing it. Change things up. End of story.
  • galesgym
    galesgym Posts: 2
    Options
    I typically run five times a week ( 4 or 5 mile runs) plus weight training. There have been a few days of higher temp and humidity but generally nice temps. I have cut back on my mileage recently and took off three days during Memorial Day weekend but experienced no change. I have been running for a long time and have not had this problem before. I have not run any races this year because of this problem.
  • smarionette
    smarionette Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    I am tryin to increase my milage a little bit- I'd love to be a 40-mile-per-week runner... I read an article in runners world that you should increase your routine by 6 mi the first week, then -3 the next week, then +6 more again the week after that etc... But maybe I should shoot for 4/2/4.

I would recommend a different mileage scheme myself. I tend to try to stick to the 10% rule for increases in both mileage and strength. Sometimes, if I'm getting back into something I'll be a bit more aggressive and do 15-20%, but 10% is generally enough that the increases stack up pretty steadily. I also agree with people who suggest a 4 week cycle, with a deload/easy week. Here is a Runner's World article about the 10% Rule http://www.runnersworld.com/running-tips/10-percent-rule
  • CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options
    I typically run five times a week ( 4 or 5 mile runs) plus weight training. There have been a few days of higher temp and humidity but generally nice temps. I have cut back on my mileage recently and took off three days during Memorial Day weekend but experienced no change. I have been running for a long time and have not had this problem before. I have not run any races this year because of this problem.

I would take a full week off and then try again.

Unfortunately, it could be age catching up with you. My coach is about your age and he has dialed his easy run pace back to the 9-9:30+ range and still runs 1:20 for the HM. Slower easy runs aren't going to make you slower overall. You might just be fatiguing yourself.