Does anyone else have that little voice in their head

Options
...that tells you to give up, you will never reach this goal, you're too old to lose weight and be attractive again, that you might as well eat everything in sight because it's the only thing that makes life bearable?

I hate that little voice in my head! Wish I could gag it!:angry:

Replies

• JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    yes.

not for fitness- but for dance.

I can stand in class and it's an actual voice that tells me I'll NEVER be able to play finger cymbals.

After spending months in agonizing frustration- I finally told that voice SEE YOU NEXT TUESDAY... I DON"T HAVE TIME FOR YOU...

and I do my work and I move on ward and upwards!!!

It's hellish- I know- but you can get past it- I promise!
  • 1PatientBear
    1PatientBear Posts: 2,089 Member
    Options
    Yup. We all do. Ignore the jerk. My voice's name is Clarence. He's a bitter, bitter, sad, pathetic voice. He's always there but I just tell him to shut up and go about my merry way.
  • serindipte
    serindipte Posts: 1,557 Member
    Options
    Thump that little nagger off your shoulder and point at the 15 lbs you've already lost. To be "too old to lose weight", sure looks like you're doing it... Keep it up!
  • Janautical
    Janautical Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I have similar voices, mostly because of comments I've received . . . I was told last year that it didn't matter if I lost weight or not because my body was ruined and would never look "normal".

You just have to remember that it's not about what other people think when they look at you at your goal weight. There are always going to be a few people who don't like the way you look. That's why you have to do it for you!

Like . . . for me, it's not about being attractive. It's about being comfortable in my body physically. Being more attractive would just be a happy side effect . . . yanno?
  • caracrawford1
    caracrawford1 Posts: 657 Member
    Options
    Lmao. Well not too old (I'm in my thirties) and attactiveness? Meh, I'm pretty damn hot since I'm not out of shape (yes I'm being conceited) but I could stand to lose some pounds. But ya there are those days. Especially yesterday when the idea of a stuffed crust pizza sounded pretty good. But then I remember that meeting my goal to be in race shape (I run marathons) is more important to me than any fleeting moment of happiness and joy a slice of stuff crust might give me. :-) hope that helps. ***BTW...if you think you are the hottest b$%%% in the room, everyone else will too...its all about confidence hun. This I learned from working as a cocktail waitress in a strip club for a few months before I started teaching after grad school. Trust me, not all those girls looked like they could be on that pole. Lol
  • MacMomma2013
    MacMomma2013 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    I've had that voice in my head...I've shut it up by exercising and actually achieveing my goals. Nothing motivates me more these days than seeing that I've pushed past the negativity and am living proof that I can do anything I set my (positive) mind to.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    Yes.
  • RavenLibra
    RavenLibra Posts: 1,737 Member
    Options
    I believe this...whether you think you can or think you can't you are right ~Henry Ford.

If you are going to stop believing in yourself... then listen to the voice... BUT you signed on here...and as a result of that have an opportunity to have hundreds of people HELP you retain that belief in yourself... SO START thinking you can and don't look back at that person who thinks you can't...YOU bring your own brand of beauty...find it cultivate it and YOU will find your reward for all your efforts

thank you...next sermon is in an hour :smokin:
  • itodd4019
    itodd4019 Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    esecially as an older person I do

I am only 46, but I have always been an athlete. I took from age 41 to 45 off.

Now, it says, you have already done this, what's the big deal.

Having done a 12 hour Ironman, a bike ride, or run, or whatever is menial-in my mind, and tha voice tells me there's no reason to go thru all the progression again. who cares!

So, I set my goals higher. I am now registered for 39.3 in Jan, then 50K ultra in March, and then 100 miler planned for "maybe" november of next year.

When I focus on having to do an event, and I am registered, alot of that mental crap goes away. I have purpose.

Don't give up
  • ribye
    ribye Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I hear it, mid 40's Ran long distance in high school, then gave up for years, got married had kids, shot up 80lbs, little voice keeps saying your feet hurt, knees hurt, you'll never be able to run again. I do hear it but giving up is just to much of a dead end.
  • _chiaroscuro
    _chiaroscuro Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    OP here's a good voice to listen to:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/yoovie/view/because-im-not-invisible-damnit-666120

ETA: actually not just OP, this is a great counterpunch for anyone dealing with a toxic inner critic. I'd go on here, but there's nothing to improve upon.
  • ronnie_thebear
    ronnie_thebear Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    um YES! I hate that! It gets so loud too, especially when I'm stressed or upset. It's soooo hard to quiet down. But I always think of how people say "You have to get out of your own head" which believe me, is one of my biggest problems. I just try to calm down, take a breath and say "What would it mean to me if I gave in right now? Would it be ok? Would I feel ok or would I feel guilty?" Those kind of questions. It can help that urgency feeling of a binge. :)
  • EmmGriffith652
    Options
    YES. Every single day. It asks "Why do you even bother? You are most likely just going to throw in the towel in a month. Just bring the family size bag of Doritos to our room already so we can go back to relaxing and forgeting about this nonsense."

The awesome thing about this voice though is realizing that you can overcome it by taking it one day at a time :)
  • bookworm_847
    bookworm_847 Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    Yes. It's been there since I was a teenager, constantly telling me that I can't do it. Things have been changing recently and it's been a little easier each day to tell that little voice to shut up. Hang in there. I see on your ticker that you're already proving your little voice wrong.

d71ec50bd4240ebfe5f72ef8fca73338_zps4faa4367.jpg
  • emdeesea
    emdeesea Posts: 1,823 Member
    Options
    Eh, not really, because "being attractive" isn't my goal. That's just a side-effect.

My goal is to age better and be healthier in general.

Attractiveness is so subjective anyway and there will always be someone more attractive than you, no matter how pretty you are. So it's not a battle worth fighting in my opinion.

And age - well, there's nothing you can do about that. We're all headed in that direction anyway. Best to make the best with what you've got and don't worry about the rest of it.
  • DymonNdaRgh40
    DymonNdaRgh40 Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    Yeah. I'm still working on getting a six pack. Every now and then that voice says "I don't know what you think you are doing, but your tummy is not getting any flatter!" I continue on however because I will not let it win. No matter how long it takes, I'm going to win this one.
  • Kitten2629
    Kitten2629 Posts: 1,359 Member
    Options
    sadly. Yes.
  • Veil5577
    Veil5577 Posts: 868 Member
    Options
    Maybe I should have elaborated a little... Yes, I do want to be more attractive.. I'm vain. But the reason is to gain back the self confidence I lost when my ex hubby always told me that I was unattractive because of being overweight... not to be attractive to others, just to myself.

And that voice really starts hollering when the hunger pains hit... I suppose that is normal though.
  • sugarlemonpie
    sugarlemonpie Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    Yep, I had a big battle with it yesterday. Mine usually tells me that even if I lose all the weight I'll just gain it back so why try. That I've never been thin, and I'm never going to be able to sustain it, yadda yadda. But I'm looking to make a major change and get rid of that voice altogether and show it who's boss!

If anyone needs any motivation, feel free to friend me. :) I am pretty active on here.