The goals section should tell you how to build muscle.

Options

Replies

• BigT555
    BigT555 Posts: 2,067 Member
    Options
    I have not gone through all of the posts to see if this has already been suggested. If it has, disregard this:

There are a lot of sites that can help you to build muscle. Bodybuilding.com is one example. I agree with those who have said you should not wait until you have achieved your weight loss goal. I personally think the number on the scale is motivational only after a certain point. A muscular person SHOULD be much, much heavier on the scale than someone slight. It's more about how you feel and how well your clothes fit.

Good luck!

I'm not here saying to spoon feed me how to build muscle. You have to figure that out yourself. But it surprises me that you can't change your goal settings to allow you to be more informed on what you must eat every day and how much cardio and weight lifting you should do in the gym per day. If you can change your settings to only losing 1 pound per week, why can't you have a setting that gets you to build a pound of muscle per month?
    .... it does tell you how much to eat, thats the calorie goal. it doenst tell you how much weight lifting to do because that is different for everyone. it doenst tell you how much cardio to do because cardio is unnecessary for building muscle
  • Ashes_To_Beast
    Ashes_To_Beast Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    Bottom line is , this site is marketed towards people who want to manage and lose their weight, not build muscle. That is one of the things this site lacks to be completely honest. They don't even have a section that explains BMI and the science of building muscle. You would think they would have that on here. It would be a good starting point. What do you see when this site shows people? Its always how much weight they have lost. You never have seen anything on a person who went from a skinny twig or overweight, to competing in their first bodybuilding competition.

I don't understand why the site should though. I mean, it would be nice if it did, but there are other sites for that specifically. This site isn't geared towards bodybuilding and I would say that the majority of people here aren't interested in that. But if you come to the forums you can certainly find that. There are tons of success story threads involving people who lift and tons of people who share their success story *cough, cough* (overweight to first bodybuilding competition).

The site also does have a BMI calculator but out of all the information the site could provide, I don't really see the relevence of that one.

I'm a weight lifter, but I am also a runner and triathlete. Should the site also explain to me the basics of building a good cardio base and improving VO2 max?

Reason why you don't get the bodybuilders using this site is because it does not market towards that group. Start marketing towards that group along with people who just want to lose weight , and you would see the members increase even more. This site should allow a person the tools to atleast know how much exercise they need per day along with diet to build muscle if they would want to do that.

Wait bodybuilders dont use this site... Oh yeah coz they don't count calories.. Have you been here before?
  • stephenryan758
    stephenryan758 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Hey guys, regardless of whether or not the site is perfect, at least it has the right intention. However, it is definitely important to understand that building muscle reduces your body fat, and tracking your progress through simply your weight isn't the best idea. Instead, like a few other users have stated, testing your body fay percentage and moving forward from there would be the best place to start. Check out my site if you guys need some workouts to build muscle. www.madbody.com...Any questions, feel free to ask!

Thank you for your reply. Well said.
  • isp3986
    isp3986 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I have not gone through all of the posts to see if this has already been suggested. If it has, disregard this:

There are a lot of sites that can help you to build muscle. Bodybuilding.com is one example. I agree with those who have said you should not wait until you have achieved your weight loss goal. I personally think the number on the scale is motivational only after a certain point. A muscular person SHOULD be much, much heavier on the scale than someone slight. It's more about how you feel and how well your clothes fit.

Good luck!

I'm not here saying to spoon feed me how to build muscle. You have to figure that out yourself. But it surprises me that you can't change your goal settings to allow you to be more informed on what you must eat every day and how much cardio and weight lifting you should do in the gym per day. If you can change your settings to only losing 1 pound per week, why can't you have a setting that gets you to build a pound of muscle per month?

My apologies if you mistook my meaning.

I have found that the amount of muscle added day by day is so small that you can pretty much ignore the scale until you feel you are fit, or your fat % is correct. The fat comes off a lot faster than muscle goes on, barring the intake of steroids.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    Bottom line is , this site is marketed towards people who want to manage and lose their weight, not build muscle. That is one of the things this site lacks to be completely honest. They don't even have a section that explains BMI and the science of building muscle. You would think they would have that on here. It would be a good starting point. What do you see when this site shows people? Its always how much weight they have lost. You never have seen anything on a person who went from a skinny twig or overweight, to competing in their first bodybuilding competition.

Naw bottom line is this..if you want to know bad enough you will find the answers yourself...not be spoon fed them.

I wanted to know so I found out...how...looking for information, reading it, checking links, listening to those who have had success...

And yes I have seen people who have gone from twig to muscled...on this site...why because I was interested enough to find them and didn't expect to be spoon fed it.

Does this site provide the reader information on how to build muscle without having to search for it? No it does not. It does that for weight loss goals though. You go to your goals and put your settings in. Setting them to how much weight you want to lose a week and how much exercise you are going to do every day.

This site could help people out the same way when it comes to building muscle. But they choose not to. I love this site, it was a big reason I lost 100 pounds. Now Im at a point along with many others who don't need to lose anymore weight and want to focus on building muscle. There is nothing when it comes to your settings to keep track of how much weight training you need to do each day, along with how much cardio, and how many macros you need to hit to build muscle. Not everyone is made the same. Building muscle is a science. This site is called "My Fitness Pal", not "My weight loss pal".

Again - should this site also tell people how to improve cardiovasular fitness as well? That is also part of fitness, and a lot of people are interested in it and it is also important to health.

Why can this site tell a person how much cardio per day and how many macros they need per day to lose weight. But it can't do the same thing when it comes to building muscle? Explain that to me. Why is that so hard ?

where does it tell you that?

Macros aren't for losing weight they are for health.

MFP sets macros to minimum daily requirements as recommended by the government.

As for building muscle because it's not as simple as losing weight that is why. Losing weight requires a few points of data to recommend calories to be in a deficit.

There are way too many variables for each person to build mass....ie current LBM, desired LBM, which are how macros are defined plus how much mass? and with the mass what is the acceptable level of fat to muscle ratio are you willing to go with and as far as the lifting required what is MFP suppose to do pick your program too?

However all this information can be found through other sources on this site...or you can go to another site to find this information and still use MFP as a way to track your intake which is only one part of the equation.
  • stephenryan758
    Options

Good luck!

.... it does tell you how much to eat, thats the calorie goal. it doenst tell you how much weight lifting to do because that is different for everyone. it doenst tell you how much cardio to do because cardio is unnecessary for building muscle

You don't know what you are talking about. Cardio burns fat. If you lift and then do a little cardio, that will allow you to get more ripped. You will have a lower body fat percentage. What does that mean? Six pack abs quicker than the guy who just does crunches on the ab machine and bench presses.

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/ask-the-ripped-dude-cardio-before-or-after-weights.html
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options

Good luck!

what I don't' understand- is you already answered yourself.
    Everyone is different.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options

Naw bottom line is this..if you want to know bad enough you will find the answers yourself...not be spoon fed them.

I wanted to know so I found out...how...looking for information, reading it, checking links, listening to those who have had success...

And yes I have seen people who have gone from twig to muscled...on this site...why because I was interested enough to find them and didn't expect to be spoon fed it.

Does this site provide the reader information on how to build muscle without having to search for it? No it does not. It does that for weight loss goals though. You go to your goals and put your settings in. Setting them to how much weight you want to lose a week and how much exercise you are going to do every day.

This site could help people out the same way when it comes to building muscle. But they choose not to. I love this site, it was a big reason I lost 100 pounds. Now Im at a point along with many others who don't need to lose anymore weight and want to focus on building muscle. There is nothing when it comes to your settings to keep track of how much cardio you need to do each day and how many macros you need to hit per day to build muscle. Not everyone is made the same. Building muscle is a science. This site is called "My Fitness Pal", not "My weight loss pal".

You seem to have no idea what you're talking about. Cardio per day and macros per day to build muscle? None of that is even relevant without the proper stimulus. There's no magic ratio of macros that will make one build muscle, thus what you are requesting is moot. You've already been told in this very thread what is required of you to build muscle

Everyone is different. A person that is 210 pounds is going to have to eat way more protein per day than a person who is 150. Don't you know that? Also a person if they do too much cardio will eliminate all the hard work they put in the gym when it comes to lifting. Too much cardio can prevent protein synthesis and lead to muscle breakdown. Did you know that? Each person is built differently. Each person alive would not eat the same amount of protein, carbs, or fats as another person. Do you even know what Macros are?

Nope, i have no idea what macros are. You totally got me on that one. So can you please provide all the peer reviewed studies that show exactly how much cardio one can do before it "totally eliminates all the hard work you do in the gym"? Hmmm too much cardio can result in catabolism? I wonder if any other exercises can result in catabolism, like lifting?

This is why people don't progress at all, they are too worried about the magic amount of macros they need to intake and exactly how much cardio to do. As you've already been told, eat in a surplus, get adequate protein, engage in a progressive resistance program
  • BigT555
    Options

You don't know what you are talking about. Cardio burns fat. If you lift and then do a little cardio, that will allow you to get more ripped. You will have a lower body fat percentage. What does that mean? Six pack abs quicker than the guy who just does crunches on the ab machine and bench presses.

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/ask-the-ripped-dude-cardio-before-or-after-weights.html
    quite the contrary actually ive spent hours upon hours researching this **** so i do know what im talking about.

and that would be losing fat, not building muscle. cardio isnt necessary for that either
  • stephenryan758
    Options
    For the guy that said Cardio is unneccesary to build muscle, that is just nuts. A nice cardio session after lifting burns more fat. Which leads to more definition. Which leads to better abs for example. Just doing crunches will not get you six pack abs. You have to balance it out. For example, if you lift for an hour or an hour and a half, don't do an hour of cardio. Do 20-30 minutes and do it after you lift, not before.
  • BigT555
    Options
    For the guy that said Cardio is unneccesary to build muscle, that is just nuts. A nice cardio session after lifting burns more fat. Which leads to more definition. Which leads to better abs for example. Just doing crunches will not get you six pack abs. You have to balance it out. For example, if you lift for an hour or an hour and a half, don't do an hour of cardio. Do 20-30 minutes and do it after you lift, not before.
    buddy that is burning fat not building muscle. you have the two mixed up somehow.
  • stephenryan758
    Options

quite the contrary actually ive spent hours upon hours researching this **** so i do know what im talking about.

and that would be losing fat, not building muscle. cardio isnt necessary for that either

So Im going to take your word over a guy who gets paid for a living to write articles for Bodybuilding.com ? You are delusional. Who do you write for? I forgot you just read them. Do you get paid for reading?
  • stephenryan758
    Options
    buddy that is burning fat not building muscle. you have the two mixed up somehow.

What do you think allows you to get six pack abs? Crunches? LOL

Cmon man. Burning fat along with lifting gets you six pack abs. You have to do them both to get the right definition and to get the proper results. It goes hand in hand.
  • Ashes_To_Beast
    Ashes_To_Beast Posts: 378 Member
    Options

Good luck!

Cardio burns calories, while your doing it then it stops... Thats it, if anything you may lose muscle. Lifting weights burns calories and boosts your metabolism and you keep burning calories long after your done.
  • Acg67
    Options

LOL. You seem to leave out being in either a caloric surplus or deficit. why do you need an app to tell you how to build muscle when you already know everything?
  • stephenryan758
    Options
  • BigT555
    Options

What do you think allows you to get six pack abs? Crunches? LOL

Cmon man. Burning fat along with lifting gets you six pack abs. You have to do them both to get the right definition and to get the proper results. It goes hand in hand.
    cool. you want definition then not to necessarily build muscle. youre dragging stuff into this that has little to do with what we are talking about
  • Acg67
    Options
  • isp3986
    isp3986 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    It seems I missed the whole point of this topic? Is it argumentative rather than informational?

I thought these threads would be more positive.
  • BigT555
    Options

So Im going to take your word over a guy who gets paid for a living to write articles for Bodybuilding.com ? You are delusional. Who do you write for? I forgot you just read them. Do you get paid for reading?
    first of all articles can say whatever the author wants them to, they dont have to be true at all. second, you have yet to actually counterpoint any of my arguments with something that actually disproves them, instead you just go on about how cardio builds muscle somehow