Heavy Lifting Goals for Ladies?

Options
lindsey1979
lindsey1979 Posts: 2,395 Member
For all my fellow heavy lifting ladies out there (i.e. BEASTS) -- what are your current numbers for squats, bench, press, and deadlifts (and weight/height to get some perspective)? And what are your goals for that? How much do you tend to increase a month?

I've been lifting for a few months and I'm just trying to get an idea of where I am relatively speaking and where I should be going (not sure if I'm way low, way high, etc.). For me, I'm 5'9", currently 175 lbs (guessing my goal weight will be 158-165), and my current squat is 149, bench 76, press 59 and deadlift 168.

Replies

• MsuK2girl
    MsuK2girl Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Nice numbers. My first year had a lot of unrelated injuries so that meant slow progess.

B: 100, S: 185, D: 200, P:70 . 5'4" 148lbs. I'm currently bulking to gain strength since I've spend most of the last 18 months in a deficit. I also intend to compete in my first powerlifting meet in Feb next year. Current relatively reasonable goals are B:150, Sq: 250, D: 300.
  • MicheleWE
    MicheleWE Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    You are doing great. I think what is most important is that you are always pushing yourself. It might be easier to increase weight regularly in the beginning but you can't always maintain that same increase. If that were possible, a lot more folks would be power lifters.
    Being progressive includes not only increase weights, but increasing reps, and decreasing amount of rest periods.
    Currently my goal is just to get my lifts to BW x1 (160lbs at 5'5"). My progression is slow but I am making progress and one day I'll get there.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    I agree as long as you do better than you did last time that is what is important.

I've been lifting for almost 9 months...I am 5 ft 7 and currently weigh 153 I was 170 when I started.

My current PR's are

DL 210lbs
    Squat 180lbs
    BP 128.5lbs
    Rows 125lbs
    OHP 90lbs

Goals...

BP my body weight
    OHP triple digets (100 or above)
    Squat 1.5 x bw so right now 225lbs (give or take)
    DL 2x BW so about 300lbs
    Rows eh whatever

For me I have deloaded a couple times 1 for injury to groin muscle which nags me even now, deloaded squats for form issues same with DL, deloaded OHP, bench and Rows due to failure.

Currently on upper body I increase 3.5lbs then 1.5lbs on success of all reps and now that I am at a heavier weight my progression isn't what is used to be could be 5lbs in one month...but to me that is good, and now that I am working up to maitenance I am hoping that increases.

Squats I go up 5lbs when I am comfortable with my form. Currently @ 160 from a deload due to my leg
    DL 10lbs when comfortable with form (my back has been rounding on 3 rep)
  • perseverance14
    perseverance14 Posts: 1,364 Member
    Options
    I started April 24th at 40 lbs. for everything, after 2 weeks of getting used to lifting, I started StrongLifts 5x5. After 8 weeks I squat 125, deadlift 115 (going to 125 next time), bench press 65, overhead press 55, curl 55, row 75, reverse curl 55 and other assorted things.

I always try to increase, if I can do it with good form, I do it. If I feel like I am not quite ready, I stay where I am and do it the next time. My goal is always to keep progressing, whatever that involves as I am sure it will change as time goes on.

It will be cool to squat my body weight, since it is going down and weight I am lifting is going up, I figure one day they will meet.
  • blanphere
    blanphere Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I started in March with just the bar (I have both a 15# and a 45#) for everything.

Now...

SQ - 65
    DL - 65
    OHP - 30 (just added at the beginning of May)
    Bench - 55 (just added at the beginning of May)
    Lat Pullover - 30
    Row - 65

I also work in alternating sets of crunch, lunges, push-ups, step-ups, and plank. When I started in March, I couldn't do a push-up. Period. I'm up to 8. I have arms like a giraffe...not made for doing push-ups. My beginning plank was maybe 7 seconds - I'm over 40 now. Step-ups were IMPOSSIBLE for me - now I'm doing 5 sets of 15 reps with 20lb weights. I'm pretty impressed with myself. Not a big deal for most, though.

What's important is how you feel about your progress. I set my expectations really low, starting out. My goal was to get through half my sets without crying, or falling. 15# squats were hard! Now, I feel awesome when I can finish my 5x5 with an extra 5#. Lifting is the one thing that I can do that doesn't require mobility - and I feel totally bad *kitten* when I am doing it. I don't care if it's 5# or 50#.

Should mention that I have crap for knees, and had ZERO muscle anywhere. I started from scratch - like a wet noodle! (5'7 136# - started around 145#)

My goal now is to continue to add weight with each session (3 days a week alternating DL/Bench/SQ) I have 2.5# plates, so I can add tiny bits at a time while my form catches up. That's key too - making sure I'm taking care of the body mechanics and not hurting myself.

I want to be able to lift really, really heavy - like the ladies above. Someday...but I'm just getting started.
  • Willbenchforcupcakes
    Willbenchforcupcakes Posts: 4,955 Member
    Options
    I've been lifting off and on for 20 years, consistently for the last 2 1/2. My best squat within the last year was 315, with a competition best of 209 ( my squat fell apart on me this year and I'm working on getting it back together). Best bench is 120, with 110 in comp. Deadlift is 330, both gym and comp. I'm 5'8.5", 170lbs. Squat goal for the year is to get it back to where it was, bench is to bench my bodyweight, and deadlift, I'm gunning for 400+ by the end of the year.
  • bokodasu
    bokodasu Posts: 629 Member
    Options
    If you're looking for goals, the strength standards are a good place to start - http://exrx.net/Testing/WeightLifting/StrengthStandards.html

I am exactly where I should be, statistically speaking, on that chart. Except for the stupid overhead press, which is my nemesis, but I'm working on it. In fact, I have until August 24th to get it to 110, or I'm gonna zero the first event at my next competition. >:(
  • lindsey1979
    lindsey1979 Posts: 2,395 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the great feedback, ladies. Wow, there is quite a range (and thank you for the strength standards). I just think about deadlifting 300+ and it seems near impossible as that's more than double where I am now, but hearing from you all is quite inspirational. ,

For those of you that were losing weight at the same time (that's what I'm doing), was there a point when you just stop gaining in strength? Since it's near impossible to put on LBM while in a deficit, I figure this is bound to happen at some point. And then once getting the weight off, refocusing on strength gains through a bulk. Or were any of you able to keep increasing your lifts while still losing fat/weight?
  • Willbenchforcupcakes
    Willbenchforcupcakes Posts: 4,955 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the great feedback, ladies. Wow, there is quite a range (and thank you for the strength standards). I just think about deadlifting 300+ and it seems near impossible as that's more than double where I am now, but hearing from you all is quite inspirational. ,

For those of you that were losing weight at the same time (that's what I'm doing), was there a point when you just stop gaining in strength? Since it's near impossible to put on LBM while in a deficit, I figure this is bound to happen at some point. And then once getting the weight off, refocusing on strength gains through a bulk. Or were any of you able to keep increasing your lifts while still losing fat/weight?

When I started back lifting in November 2011, I couldn't even handle the bar for squats and deads, mostly because my pelvis took a lot of damage in my last pregnancy. From the time I could handle the empty bar (feb 2012) to February 2013, I increased my squat to 265, and my deadlift to 195. Losing weight the entire time, and never hit a stall.

My bench stalls all the time, although it's more mental than actually physical - I've got to learn how to be truly uncomfortable and push through hard reps.

And yes, it feels amazing to hit hit a 300+ pound deadlift and make it look as easy as standing up!
  • kdeaux1959
    kdeaux1959 Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    Concerning any fitness goal, especially lifting, you are competing with yourself... You want to progressively improve yourself. It is good, I think, to compare with others but realize that if you are progressing, you are on target...
  • Fujiberry
    Fujiberry Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'2", 110 lbs.

Bench: 95 lbs x 2
    Deadlift: 155 lbs. x 7
    Squat: 230 lbs. x 1

Goal by the end of this month: Break into the triple digits for bench. Get more comfortable with deadlifts without damaging my back even more. Squatting 250 lbs.

I've been training on my routine since Nov. : )
  • Fujiberry
    Fujiberry Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    If you're looking for goals, the strength standards are a good place to start - http://exrx.net/Testing/WeightLifting/StrengthStandards.html

I am exactly where I should be, statistically speaking, on that chart. Except for the stupid overhead press, which is my nemesis, but I'm working on it. In fact, I have until August 24th to get it to 110, or I'm gonna zero the first event at my next competition. >:(
    Is this accurate? :O
    What is it based off of, I mean?
  • milileitner
    milileitner Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    20 months lifting, 5'1, 128lb.

Squat: 245 x 3
    Deadlift: 275 x 3 and 310 x 1
    Bench: 145 x 2
    OHP: 95 x 5

My goals for my next meet in August are squat 275 for UK record, bench 145 (paused), deadlift 330. The next big goal will be 3x bodyweight deadlift. In terms of how quickly I get better, it doesn't matter to me so long as things are clearly improving. But after 20 months progress is slowing down a little.

Those EXRX standards are ok for the general population but extremely generous for anyone who is thinking of competing. For a better indication of where you stand relative to others, try this site: https://www.strengthcalc.com/
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    20 months lifting, 5'1, 128lb.

Squat: 245 x 3
    Deadlift: 275 x 3 and 310 x 1
    Bench: 145 x 2
    OHP: 95 x 5

My goals for my next meet in August are squat 275 for UK record, bench 145 (paused), deadlift 330. The next big goal will be 3x bodyweight deadlift. In terms of how quickly I get better, it doesn't matter to me so long as things are clearly improving. But after 20 months progress is slowing down a little.

Those EXRX standards are ok for the general population but extremely generous for anyone who is thinking of competing. For a better indication of where you stand relative to others, try this site: https://www.strengthcalc.com/

Eh I entered my stats and based on my current PR's it has me at intermediate or above on all my lifts...which to me sounds a bit off.

Where as the other chart has me at Intermediate and below which makes more sense as I have only been lifting for 9 months.
  • milileitner
    milileitner Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Eh I entered my stats and based on my current PR's it has me at intermediate or above on all my lifts...which to me sounds a bit off.

Where as the other chart has me at Intermediate and below which makes more sense as I have only been lifting for 9 months.
    Ok, maybe the EXRX is just off for more advanced lifters, bc it put me at elite for all my lifts after only one year of lifting, but the strengthcalc one shows % of world record and has a much higher cut off for elite (eg I'm not yet elite for OHP). Also strengthcalc is more realistic about how quickly people get over noobie gains (hence small beginner band and much bigger int/ad bands.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options

don't' worry about it honestly. It's a competition but there is only so much you can safely do and then you start pushing into the realm of unsafe and unsafe means injury- and that means mega backwards steps.

just go do the damn thing and have a good time.

Every single body is different- and how people react to stress or training or diet is different.

Just keep pressing onward and upwards and that's all that matters. :)
  • kitn0621
    kitn0621 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I am doing around 60# on squats, around 30 on bicep curls....been doing only for 8 weeks. Its slowly but surely but want to step it up too. Would also love ideas on how often I need to honestly work every muscle....do I skip a day or 2 days between doing arms or legs, etc....
  • rieann84
    rieann84 Posts: 511 Member
    Options
    I'm on break from lifting and doing p90x3 right now. Man, you all blow me out of the water!!

Here's where I was at:

SQ: 125
    DL: 135
    OHP: 55 :\

I have no upper body strength lol. Deadlifts were starting to get to me because it feels more like a finger exercise than anything. I have such trouble keeping a grip. (I use gloves, btw) I have not tried bench presses yet.
  • _lyndseybrooke_
    _lyndseybrooke_ Posts: 2,561 Member
    Options
    I've been lifting for 8 weeks. I'm 24, 5'5", and 133.2 lbs (but who's counting?).

My starting weight was the bar on everything except for deadlifts, which was 95 lbs.

Current working weight:
    Squat - 120 lbs
    Bench Press - 75 lbs
    OHP - 55 lbs (ugh...)
    Row - 80 lbs
    Deadlift - 135 lbs

As for goals, I'd like to squat my bodyweight, bench and row 100 lbs, deadlift 1.5x my bodyweight, and OHP more than 55 freakin' pounds, dammit!

How much I go up depends on the move and the month. Since I've only been at it two months, I couldn't say with accuracy. I'd say I go up 5 lbs every 2-3 workouts with squats and deadlifts, every 4-5 workouts with rows and bench press, and...well, as you can see, not much with OHP. Just got fractional plates, though, so hopefully that'll change.
  • levitateme
    levitateme Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    Been lifting since mid-march. I am 5'4", 150 lbs. Goal weight is 140.

These are 5x5 working sets, dl is 1x5:

Squat: 125
    Bench: 70
    OHP: 50
    BOR: 80
    DL: 135

OHP is a total b*tch for me to increase on, as is bench.

My goals, (which I'm trying to keep realistic, and would be 5x5 except for DL) where I'd like to be by the end of the summer:

Squat: 160
    Bench: 95
    OHP: 70
    BOR: 110
    DL: 185

I've never tried for higher weights for 1RM or 3RM, maybe I should, just to see what I'm working with?

ETA: I am also training specifically to do pullups, and I'm hitting 115 on lat pulldown to reach this. I can also do one unassisted pullup as of last week! I have never done one before in my life!! Besides the pulldowns in the gym, I've gotten a bar for my bedroom doorway and train with a 50 lb resistance band