Is it normal to gain weight when you first start working out

Options

Replies

• candicegrant1
    candicegrant1 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Thank god for this topic.

I just about lost it when I gained 2-3 pound back this week after starting a 3-day a week fitness routine (in it for 2 weeks now).

Wish the body wouldnt do this -.- makes it hard to stay positive even though you know you are doing good things. All you want is to see that number go down.

Hopefully it will start heading down again!
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    "and jodi, it is hard to go 6-7 times a week, 3-4 is way better than nothing, keep it up. lifes a busy b#$% haha do what you can"

thanks...I also do cardio before my weights....20 mins cardio, 30 mins weights, then another 10 mins of cardio to finish off.
    [/quote]

I would caution against doing that.

Unless you are training for an event where it's a cardio based event- lifting should come first. Holding on to form AND getting strength gains is hard to do if you are already fatigued.

And it is also over kill to go 6-7 times a week. sure you CAN- but 3-4 is a much safer bet- you're body needs recovery and repair WAY more than you think it does.
  • jbella99
    jbella99 Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    Absolutely. Muscle repair retains water.
  • amandalea23
    amandalea23 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    It's water retention. Stay off the scale anyway. Take measurements. MUCH for accurate for progress.

And muscle does NOT weigh more than fat. 1 pound of muscle weighs the same about as 1 pound of fat. Muscle is more dense so it takes up less space.
  • Sedna_51
    Sedna_51 Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    Oh man, this is such a relief to read. Tagging for future reference!
  • nstrategos
    Options
    I am completely perplexed! I began a new workout regimen recently (5 weeks ago) 3- 60 minute, pretty intense, Zumba classes and 2-3 Body Blast classes (using weights) per week. I also am staying within my calories with myfitnesspal, even eating the earned calories from cardio. I have gained at least 6 pounds!!! I was weighing myself daily but put the scale in the closet last week. When I jumped on the scale yesterday, I had gained again! Getting very frustrated! These posts say that it takes 2 weeks to see a difference but this hasn't happened yet for me. HELP!!!
  • Arein70
    Arein70 Posts: 43
    Options
    I am so glad I read this! I was just telling my husband this morning that it looks like I am gaining back the weight I did lose. I couldn't understand since I have been walking every morning and evening plus doing cardio and staying within my calorie range. I was beginning to get discouraged. I will keep doing what I am doing and see if I notice a difference in the next few weeks. Keeping my fingers crossed!
  • mammakat0830
    mammakat0830 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    bump for future gain paranoia...
  • iWorkout4Vino
    iWorkout4Vino Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I have been feeling so depressed over the last few weeks as I've been doing a Jillian Michael's DVD 3 or 4 times a week for the last 3 weeks and I've gained 2 lbs over the last 2 weeks! I was starting to get really despondant especially as I've been very careful with my calorie intake and eating back some of my exercise calories.

I'm so glad to know that it's nothing that I'm doing wrong and I now have the momentum to just keep going knowing that soon the weight will start to fall off!
    Thank you for my peace of mind :)
  • NattySchmatty
    NattySchmatty Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    So glad I read this today!!! I was seriously discouraged after two weeks of hitting it hard and the scale is EXACTLY where it was when I started. I did measure though, an inch gone, so that's something. Thanks for the information guys.
  • activemomma14
    Options
    I am glad I saw this too.
    I have been doing Timed Exercise for the past 3 weeks- completely changed my lifestyle when it comes to eating. I even gave up the cheeze-its for boiled eggs to snack on. I work out 3-5 times a week, depends a lot with when I have my little boy or not. I have been pushing myself so hard. I stepped on the scale this morning and I was 3 lbs heavier than what I was 3 days ago. I was completely discouraged, but read this post and Now I am not as worried. I am going to continue doing what I have been doing. I have a goal of losing 5 more lbs and toning up- This momma wants that sick pack, toned, lean body.
    I am going to get a tape measure and see if there are results with measuring that way.

• JeriAnne84
    JeriAnne84 Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    Aw man I wish I had seen this before I went on a complete rage the other day (actually on my 30th birthday is when I weighed myself) to my boyfriend about how I had gained 2 lbs after not drinking pop for a month, eating a LOT healthier, and working out 6 days a week. I said "I gave up Code Red Mountain Dew and I GAINED WEIGHT?!" He said maybe I was retaining water. I laughed at him. Now I find out he's right. I feel a LOT better but can't tell him he was right because I'll never live it down.
  • Auntie54Sherry
    Auntie54Sherry Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    thanks, I too started swimming and have gained 4 lbs, but I don't seem to be any bigger.
  • tracywanggreenlight
    Options
    I read all the replies and post for this topic.

One question I'd love to ask is, after 2-3 days of intense work out, should we give ourselves a break and see the scale to come back to normal and then started again? Or continuously work out intensively?

I guess my point is I totally believe the water retaining leading to increase in the scale number, and our body did need a rest. So should we give it a break, turning muscle/cardio training into a 30 min walk daily for a couple of days then restart the intensive working out?
  • salevy
    salevy Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    Muscle weighs more than fat, so you may be gaining muscle. That's what happens to me.
  • tracywanggreenlight
    Options
    How to gain muscle but at the meantime, lose fat???!!! So the number on scale would look happy =)
  • LvBoPeep
    LvBoPeep Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    New to this forum but just wanted to say thanks for the info. I have about 35 lbs to lose and have been trying to walk or ride my bike at least 45-60 minutes daily. I got a Fitbit a couple of weeks ago- love it though I wish it was more compatible with more than just walking/running. This week, especially, I've been burning calories like mad and coming in 100-200 calories under my goal.

Today I weighed myself and lost only .2 lbs. I feel like I worked my butt off for nothing but I'll hang in there and hope to see some steady progress soon.
  • perseverance14
    perseverance14 Posts: 1,364 Member
    Options
    I retained water for the first 2 weeks, then it came off. It was never fat, it was just water retention that resolved. Your muscles build up glycogen when you first start lifting, I have been told it takes up to a month to resolve for some people.
  • Snip8241
    Snip8241 Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    So glad this post is here. I am up a pound after a week. I will stay away from the scale and keep at it.
  • lizado
    lizado Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Great post!