How bad is subway?

Options
13»

Replies

• _lyndseybrooke_
    _lyndseybrooke_ Posts: 2,561 Member
    Options
    Subway isn't "bad." Neither is McDonalds. No food is inherently "bad." Both have options that should easily fit into your calorie goals. Pick the one that tastes best and will fill you up.
  • gaelicstorm26
    gaelicstorm26 Posts: 589 Member
    Options
    It's alot easier for me to eat healthier at McDonalds then Subway.
    I would also be willing to bet that more people lose weight eating McDonald's then they do eating Subway.

Agreed! I can get a small sandwich, a salad with basalmic vinaigrette, and a medium diet Coke for $3.00--and it totals around 400 calories and 600 or so sodium. It costs a lot more for Subway to begin with, and even if I can get comparable calories with a six-inch sub, it won't be as filling and the sodium is closer to 1000 grams.

You sure about that bud?

After spending a while on MFP comparing portions and calories and sodium and, after eating at McDonald's and eating at Subway and comparing my receipts and my fullness . . . yep.

Well I guess it depends upon which sandwich you are ordering, but your sodium estimate there looks a bit low to me. Two tbsp of balsamic has about 300 grams of sodium alone.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    Yep, nothing wrong with either of them.
  • gaelicstorm26
    Options
    To answer OP, I had McDonald's last night and I'm having Subway for lunch. It has been a horrible week for meal planning, but I've managed to lose 4 lbs, which is the biggest loss I've posted since April.

Today at Subway I'm getting a 6-inch on wheat with provolone and turkey, green peppers, spinach, cucumbers, tomato, and lettuce. I'm then going to have a splash of red vinegar. It is less than 400 calories and I enjoy every bite.
  • LazSommer
    LazSommer Posts: 1,851 Member
    Options
    I would also be willing to bet that more people lose weight eating McDonald's then they do eating Subway.

Agreed! I can get a small sandwich, a salad with basalmic vinaigrette, and a medium diet Coke for $3.00--and it totals around 400 calories and 600 or so sodium. It costs a lot more for Subway to begin with, and even if I can get comparable calories with a six-inch sub, it won't be as filling and the sodium is closer to 1000 grams.

You sure about that bud?

After spending a while on MFP comparing portions and calories and sodium and, after eating at McDonald's and eating at Subway and comparing my receipts and my fullness . . . yep.

Edited to add:

I am not claiming that McDonald's food is "healthier" by any stretch of the imagination. No fast food, in my opinion, is truly "healthy" food. However, it's "easier" for me to afford choosing from the dollar menu, which has surprisingly good choices and it's "easier" for me to choose McD's in terms of convenience (drive-thru). Ultimately, Subway might have the "healthier" choices in terms of fat (I don't worry about tracking fat too much, as opposed to sodium), but the carbs and sodium in a Subway sub are generally much higher than in the small McDonald's sandwiches (I personally like the grilled onion cheddar burger) and I do need to track carbs and sodium. Ultimately, it's about making the "healthier" and "easier" choice for yourself--and I was speaking for myself.

What sandwich?
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    On one topic on here I saw someone saying that subway is just as bad as it mc donalds?
    Surely it can't be though because if you compare meat bread and salads to deep fried chips and greasy burgers surely subway would be better?

It depends on what else you eat. Neither would be good to eat for every meal, or even every day IMO.
  • LoupGarouTFTs
    LoupGarouTFTs Posts: 916 Member
    Options

Edited to add:

I am not claiming that McDonald's food is "healthier" by any stretch of the imagination. No fast food, in my opinion, is truly "healthy" food. However, it's "easier" for me to afford choosing from the dollar menu, which has surprisingly good choices and it's "easier" for me to choose McD's in terms of convenience (drive-thru). Ultimately, Subway might have the "healthier" choices in terms of fat (I don't worry about tracking fat too much, as opposed to sodium), but the carbs and sodium in a Subway sub are generally much higher than in the small McDonald's sandwiches (I personally like the grilled onion cheddar burger) and I do need to track carbs and sodium. Ultimately, it's about making the "healthier" and "easier" choice for yourself--and I was speaking for myself.

You sure about that bud?

Well I guess it depends upon which sandwich you are ordering, but your sodium estimate there looks a bit low to me. Two tbsp of balsamic has about 300 grams of sodium alone.

[/quote]

[/quote]

You're right there. I was remembering the sandwich, which has 600 grams of sodium. I can't remember how much a half a packet of the dressing has. In terms of ease and affordability, though, I am not mistaken. :)

What sandwich?
    [/quote]

As I said in my edit, I like the grilled cheddar onion burger, which is on the dollar menu. Most of their dollar menu sandwiches are surprisingly tasty and many are lower in calories. You'd have to check in the database and compare it to the McD's website, but the grilled chicken choices are usually pretty good and relatively "healthy" in terms of fat and sodium.
  • gaelicstorm26
    Options
    The grilled cheddar onion burger is one of my favorites!
  • NancyKhuu
    NancyKhuu Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Depends on what you get.

A turkey sub with veggies with mustard is decent, but yeah a meatball sub or tuna probably have over 1000 cals for a footlong

Depends on how much you eat. I've tried, and I've failed, to eat the WHOLE foot long. A 6" is just the right about of food for me. I eat tuna or meatball sub at subway all the time. I thought the standard serving size for subway subs is a 6 inch. Only if you eat 2 servings (12") that the calories count become similar to a McDonald meal.
  • stratusphr
    stratusphr Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Subway does not have to be unhealthy, and as 'bad as McDonalds' - no way!! LOL
    A few tips:
    No cheese (it does not affect the taste at all really, just calories)
    Use mustard, not dressing, mayo or oil

There is a healthier menu and it's marked. Ham, turkey and even roast beef.

I think the flatbread may be fewer calories.

Potbelly has a 'skinny' sandwich, turkey or ham, even has cheese, but I like to leave it off. They hollow out the bread or for even fewer, choose flatbread....and it is really good!!!!
  • rowlandsw
    rowlandsw Posts: 1,166 Member
    Options
    Food shouldn't be called good or bad. When i get subway it's a splurge day only so i eat what i want. I wish people would stop labeling food bad as if it's out to kill you. A footlong is going to be about 1000 calories no matter what but that'll get you 2 meals if you have self control.
  • _lyndseybrooke_
    _lyndseybrooke_ Posts: 2,561 Member
    Options
    Subway does not have to be unhealthy, and as 'bad as McDonalds' - no way!! LOL
    A few tips:
    No cheese (it does not affect the taste at all really, just calories)
    Use mustard, not dressing, mayo or oil

There is a healthier menu and it's marked. Ham, turkey and even roast beef.

I think the flatbread may be fewer calories.

Potbelly has a 'skinny' sandwich, turkey or ham, even has cheese, but I like to leave it off. They hollow out the bread or for even fewer, choose flatbread....and it is really good!!!!

No cheese? Blasphemy!
  • liekewheeless
    liekewheeless Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    All depends on what you order for both places.

At least at subway you can micro manage your sub starting with the type of bread down to the condiments. And you can load it up with healthy veggies.

But yea,.. if you go with white bread, add lots of meat and bacon (not saying meat can't be healthy) lots of cheese and a lot of mayo and other high calorie sauces. It's not going to be very healthy.
  • jmt08c
    jmt08c Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    Subway's "Turkey" is pork based.

No need to say more.