Relationships make you FAT.

I'm a 21 year old college senior. Let me just start by saying that the freshmen 15 is NOT true! On the contrary, I was able to reach my lowest weight because of my college budget and dislike for cafeteria food. At my lowest I was 140lbs two years ago. In high school I fluctuated around 170 so I was very pleased with myself. I went to the gym almost everyday and was really in shape at 140lbs....until I met him. I have been with my boyfriend for a year and a half and since then I have gained 50lbs! We've lived together for a year and eating has become our entertainment! His football six pack has turned into a fat pack as well. Not only have we been eating MORE but throughout the relationship we have both turned 21 and have a love for beer. It's so hard to diet when he always wants to bring home burritos (my fav). I need to take my life back. I need to get back to my bikini body! When I started my journey I was 194lbs five days ago. Miraculously this morning I am 186.6lbs. My boyfriend has been very sweet. Although I have gained weight he still looks at my with all of the love in the world and actually says that he likes my new "booty". But I really just want to be the girl that he and I fell in love with.

Replies

• DeltaZero
    DeltaZero Posts: 1,197 Member
    Sorry. Eating too much makes you fat. Not relationships.

tumblr_n66wgbt3ep1tcttipo1_500.gif

<<<< Read >>>>
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants
    <<<< /Read >>>>
  • ValGogo
    ValGogo Posts: 2,168 Member
    Lost me at "freshman 15." I abhor that phrase.
  • sassyjae21
    sassyjae21 Posts: 1,217 Member
    Not only have we been eating MORE but throughout the relationship we have both turned 21 and have a love for beer. It's so hard to diet when he always wants to bring home burritos (my fav). I need to take my life back. I need to get back to my bikini body! When I started my journey I was 194lbs five days ago. Miraculously this morning I am 186.6lbs. My boyfriend has been very sweet. Although I have gained weight he still looks at my with all of the love in the world and actually says that he likes my new "booty". But I really just want to be the girl that he and I fell in love with.

You know what the issue is, now you can work on fixing it. Self control is key :)
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    I haven't really found that to be true, I've lost 90 lb since I met my husband two years ago! :-) I think it can work the other way around if your partner is a positive influence in health, fitness, and nutritious eating.
  • ew_david
    ew_david Posts: 3,473 Member
    I just lost about 165# today.
  • khd8n
    khd8n Posts: 16 Member
    Being in a relationship that's centered around food can definitely make it easier to gain weight, but the flip side is that if you can recruit your partner to join you in working out, it makes it that much easier to lose! See if you can get him to go to the gym with you, even if it's just once a week. It's more fun that way! Good luck - you can do it!
  • Jennisin1
    Jennisin1 Posts: 574 Member
    eating has become our entertainment

^Fix that.
  • oregonzoo
    oregonzoo Posts: 4,251 Member
    Eating too much and not moving enough make you fat.

As soon as you take responsibilty for yourself and stop blaming other people and things, you'll be fine.
  • maz504
    maz504 Posts: 450
    Sorry. Eating too much makes you fat. Not relationships.

QFT
  • kcmcd
    kcmcd Posts: 239 Member
    Maybe. My husband gained quite a bit of weight after we got married. Being fed real meals on a regular basis was good for him though. He needed the extra pounds.
  • sarafischbach9
    sarafischbach9 Posts: 466 Member
    Relationships may not make you fat, but they do influence your eating habits. When I first met my boyfriend in 2011, I was around 115 lbs, more or less. Not sure exactly what I weighed, but around there. I am 5'3.5". Before I met him, I only ate out once in a blue moon! I also exercised on a regular basis.... I definitely did not starve myself; I ate a good 2000 calorie diet, but I always calorie counted, exercised, and ate foods that I prepared or bought at the grocery store. When I met my boyfriend, I began going out to eat... it started out at 1 time a week, and then it progressed to 2-3 times a week. The first year I did not gain much weight, maybe like 5 lbs. In 2012, I was around 120, so I was fine with that, but in 2013 I gained 15 lbs. It got to the point where my boyfriend and I were eating out 4-5 times a week! I also stopped calorie counting! And I never went grocery shopping either... only once every two weeks!! ( which is bad, because I love to grocery shop! ) Yes, it is possible to gain weight during a relationship BECAUSE your eating habits change. My boyfriend gained about 40 lbs during our 3 years together... he has stopped gaining weight and is maintaining, but he is still eating out more than he should. He is trying to get out walking and is trying to buy a bike, so we can ride together.

I think a good thing for you and your boyfriend is that maybe you two can make a change together. Do it together. Maybe grocery shop and prepare healthy foods. Find an outdoor activity, even if it is just walking, that you two like. Maybe you two can go to the gym together. It sounds like both of you became comfortable and gained weight. You two can be supportive of each other. It can be done.

Good luck!
  • natstar26
    natstar26 Posts: 130 Member
    Yep its happened to me, I just didn't care what I ate... I was happy and didn't bother me because the guy loved me so why not stuff your face lol ITS YOU NOT THE RELATIONSHIP.... YOU get lazy and comfy and stuff whatever YOU want in YOUR mouth... first step to fixing a problem is admitting you are the person who caused it and then you do something about it...no excuses
  • terra32907
    terra32907 Posts: 33 Member

Took me a minute to understand this HA! Should we celebrate though or console?
  • kconrad1712
    kconrad1712 Posts: 36 Member
    I'm a 21 year old college senior. Let me just start by saying that the freshmen 15 is NOT true! On the contrary, I was able to reach my lowest weight because of my college budget and dislike for cafeteria food. At my lowest I was 140lbs two years ago. In high school I fluctuated around 170 so I was very pleased with myself. I went to the gym almost everyday and was really in shape at 140lbs....until I met him. I have been with my boyfriend for a year and a half and since then I have gained 50lbs! We've lived together for a year and eating has become our entertainment! His football six pack has turned into a fat pack as well. Not only have we been eating MORE but throughout the relationship we have both turned 21 and have a love for beer. It's so hard to diet when he always wants to bring home burritos (my fav). I need to take my life back. I need to get back to my bikini body! When I started my journey I was 194lbs five days ago. Miraculously this morning I am 186.6lbs. My boyfriend has been very sweet. Although I have gained weight he still looks at my with all of the love in the world and actually says that he likes my new "booty". But I really just want to be the girl that he and I fell in love with.

Not true at all. You became so focused on your relationship that you stopped focusing on yourself, and the way you took care of yourself. The relationship didn't make you fat - your lack of control did. Now you are playing the blame game.
  • Paizzaz
    Paizzaz Posts: 33
    I totally understand the sentiment that long term relationships make you fat! It's really easy to slack off and develop bad habits when you have a "partner in crime" so to speak. It's exactly what happened to my husband and I so you're not alone, not at all. I've heard people say you find someone to get fat and happy with. The thing is, I wasn't happy with myself and I recruited my husband as a workout buddy. We walk, jog, and hit the gym together and it's something I really enjoy doing with him. We just had to change the mentality of getting fat together to getting fit together. Even if your partner isn't as motivated as you are to get started don't worry, some of it will start to rub off, fitness is infectious. Good luck!

edits for spelling
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Not for me. I have been in relationship with my husband for 16 years. I am fit.

I stay fit because it keeps things sexually exciting for both of us.

Our recreation is sex. And we enjoy active recreation such as hiking. We dance.

My husband is a non drinker. I drink very little and was also a non drinker for a decade.

We even incorporate fitness into our sex life (my husband likes when I lift weights nude and dance).
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    It's so hard to diet when he always wants to bring home burritos (my fav)

Just eat less of it. You don't have to give up burritos or beer. Just eat and drink less than you have been, and optimally, move more as well.
  • sloth3toes
    sloth3toes Posts: 2,212 Member

Took me a minute to understand this HA! Should we celebrate though or console?

Is there a thread to go with this, somewhere?
  • EddieHaskell97
    EddieHaskell97 Posts: 2,227 Member
    "Eating has become our entertainment!"

Standard MFP Answers:
    1. You'll die if you try paleo.
    2. Sugar has all the cancer in it.
    3.Unhealthy relationship, you should leave your husband/boyfriend.
    4. Find joy in God and the Rhythm Method.

You've identified your problem. Spend less time on "entertainment" and/or more at the gym.
  • SugaryLynx
    SugaryLynx Posts: 2,640 Member
    Not for me. I have been in relationship with my husband for 16 years. I am fit.

I stay fit because it keeps things sexually exciting for both of us.

Our recreation is sex. And we enjoy active recreation such as hiking. We dance.

My husband is a non drinker. I drink very little and was also a non drinker for a decade.

We even incorporate fitness into our sex life (my husband likes when I lift weights nude and dance).

Quoted because...sex O.O