How do you deal with a friend who ignores you?

Options

Replies

• ew_david
    ew_david Posts: 3,473 Member
    Options
    Were you secretly hoping for more?
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    devil_in_a_blue_dress Posts: 5,214 Member
    Options
    Why move on tomorrow, when you can do it today?
  • Eleonora91
    Eleonora91 Posts: 688 Member
    Options
    I know it's hard when you don't have many friends. I mean, it's always hard to lose a friend, but it's harder if you don't have many anyway, and if you find it so hard to make new friends.
    I don't personally think you're overreacting, but it looks like it's not that kind of friendship you should worry about. Maybe you two weren't so close anyway... and he didn't feel compelled to keep in touch. If I want to keep in touch with a friend of mine, I will. If I'm very busy, I'll be a bit more distant, but it doesn't last for 2 months.
    I think you should move on too, even though it feels bad to be somewhat "rejected" as a friend... maybe it wasn't meant to be.
  • DeltaZero
    DeltaZero Posts: 1,197 Member
    Options
    Were you secretly hoping for more?

tumblr_mzaufitmNZ1tptg9yo1_250.gif
  • Some_Watery_Tart
    Some_Watery_Tart Posts: 2,250 Member
    Options
    I told him how I have been stressed about other things and even felt suicidal at one point (although I was just really upset about an argument with my parents and just having troubles right now- I would never actually commit suicide so please don't worry about that- everyone feels suicidal at some point in their lives) yet I get no reply, I mean that isn't a true friend. He has til tomorrow to reply, and if not I will tell him he is ditched.

He's obligated to respond if you're contemplating suicide? That's an awful lot of responsibility to put on another person.

I recommend handling it like an adult and moving on with your life without acting like a dramatic 14 year old.
    Wow, I totally missed that part.

OP, this sounds like you were being pretty manipulative.
  • gypsy_spirit
    gypsy_spirit Posts: 2,107 Member
    Options
    Ever seen this movie? If not, watch it today.

tumblr_lu9mfxeOOW1qd27hvo1_500.gif
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    Honestly - take the ignoring as a signal that he's no longer interested in being friends with you. It might be something you did, it might not be. In the long run, it doesn't matter.

Losing friendships is hard, I'm sorry. Don't obsess over it and try to move on.
    This.

And I would simply not contact him again. If he's not replying to your attempts then further attempts to contact him is not going to make him suddenly change his mind and reply. At best, he'll be mean thinking that's the only way to make you leave him alone.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    Wow! Okay... first off, he probably wanted more than friendship and since you made that clear that there wouldn't be anything more than that, he has moved on. Don't take it personal.

Second, telling someone who had been ignoring you that you are suicidal makes you look desperate and in need of attention. Don't do that to yourself. No matter how close you were before, the way he is treating you now means that he doesn't deserve to be privy to that information.

Lastly, forgetting about him... even if you feel like your suicidal thought was normal, it still needs addressing. I would advise that you get yourself some counseling before your depression takes hold.
  • kconrad1712
    kconrad1712 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    So I have this friend, who has been ignoring me for a month now.

Girl, wake up. He has already ditched you. You can't ditch someone who is already gone. Move on and find other friends.
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    _HeartsOnFire_ Posts: 5,304 Member
    Options
    tumblr_m2nwozuZtH1qdc7u7o1_500.jpg

OMG I love this
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    I agree, there's no need for a formal break-up, just let the friendship die.

Not sure how you're messaging him as you weren't specific (text, email, other message service like here on MFP or on FB) but maybe he's just not that into social media. I suck at checking my home email and know people who very rarely go on FB.

Not to make you freak out but if it was me (because I'm a huge worrier) I'd be more concerned something happened to him.
  • Jenni129
    Jenni129 Posts: 692 Member
    Options
    D
    E
    L
    E
    T
    E

the end
  • BrokenButBeautiful
    Options
    I usually message them till they block me. :bigsmile: I am incredibly good at it.
  • So_Much_Fab
    So_Much_Fab Posts: 1,146 Member
    Options
    That whole mention of suicide seems to me like a desperate attempt for attention from him. To be honest, if I were him, after getting the texts you described, I wouldn't want to answer either.

Another vote for move on. No more texting, just stop.
  • RLMsFitnessPal
    RLMsFitnessPal Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Keep on moving forward with your own life. That's really all you can do. You'll always have yourself even when you have no one else. Some people follow the same path, and that's great when it works out that way. Some people go separate ways, and it can be painful to let go. It it's meant to be, it will be. That's just life. I prefer to keep mine simple.
  • ItsMeGee3
    ItsMeGee3 Posts: 13,255 Member
    Options
    Friends don't ignore you.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    Leave him alone. Don't pester any of your friends. If you have contacted them and you don't hear from them, the ball is in their court. They know where to find you when (if) they want to.
  • cheripugh1
    cheripugh1 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    you keep saying you have ditched him but you obviously haven't or you would quit trying to contact him and would not be asking us here what to do.

He most likely thought he'd get lucky (sexually) and didn't, it is that simple. Leave it alone, stop having mutual friends working on him, just leave it. He is done and does not want to hurt you and you are simply hurting yourself with this.
  • gabrielleelliott90
    gabrielleelliott90 Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    He has til tomorrow to reply, and if not I will tell him he is ditched.

Or you could just move on without being dramatic. Sometimes we get busy or we drift away from friends. You're 21, you'll make more friends.

I'm not being dramatic? Lol.
  • gabrielleelliott90
    gabrielleelliott90 Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't even text him anymore. Why do you keep texting him? Leave it alone.

I don't keep texting him, thought I made that obvious. I texted him like one or two times. I'm done now.