Ladies with THICK legs

Options

Replies

• sarah44254
    sarah44254 Posts: 3,078 Member
    Options
    omg me too! i can't buy boots

It does suck to not have any boots fit. Really. They are so cute.

I am not happy with my legs. 5'4" like you, with 17" calves and 28" thighs with a waist only an inch bigger than a thigh. I don't like shorts, but I've started wearing skirts and dresses. For some reason, I love the way my legs look in skirts/dresses but hate them in shorts.

Also, thigh rub is terrible. It is my bane. It has been 108F lately here in southern Arizona, and I am still in pants most of the time because even in skirts/dresses I need to wear spandex underneath to prevent the thigh rub (which is a serious issue not just annoyance), and it is just so hot.

But, my legs were smaller when I was smaller. In 2011 I got down to 137 (I'm 168 now, so not really close, haha) and my legs were still larger in proportion than the rest of me (genetics!) but they were smaller than they are now. The thigh rub wasn't quite as bad (still bad though).

So, keep losing body fat, keep doing strength training, and work on loving yourself - big legs and all. :)
  • nilbogger
    nilbogger Posts: 870 Member
    Options
    My legs are about the same size as yours. Hell, yeah, I'll be wearing shorts and skirts this summer. Why not?
  • happyjack1976
    happyjack1976 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    omg me too! i can't buy boots
    [/quote]

^ this. I cannot buy boots, cannot zip because of gigantic calves. Oh well, they help me run faster. :-)
  • bamadwl
    bamadwl Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Most men I know (yes, I do know there are exceptions) like thick legs, or as I like to call them cheerleader legs. If a girl is very thin and petite, her legs will be proportionate to her body. If you're not that body type, it just looks like chicken legs, or sticks, which to me isn't a good look IMHO.
  • husseycd
    husseycd Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    I have little twiggy calves, so...
  • estaticaa
    estaticaa Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I'm going to say the obvious and you probably already know this, but if there is still fat in your calves for you to lose, you will get there eventually if you continue to work out and stay at a calorie deficit. Patience is all you require.

You have the same body type as me, and the fat on my legs was the first to show up when I started gaining and now, as I continue to lose, it will probably be the last to disappear. I think the difference is, right now, I'm starting to love my body again. I look at myself in the mirror and think I look hot. No, wait. I am hot, I don't care what anyone else says - they can either agree or disagree. I don't wear short shorts because I feel it doesn't fit my age, but I do wear dresses and show off my calves all the time.

Bottom line is, I look at your profile picture and see a great looking body, I hope one day you'll agree with me and start wearing anything you like!
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    600full-hayden-panettiere.jpg
  • TallGlassOfQuirky
    TallGlassOfQuirky Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    I am not happy with my legs. 5'4" like you, with 17" calves and 28" thighs with a waist only an inch bigger than a thigh. I don't like shorts, but I've started wearing skirts and dresses. For some reason, I love the way my legs look in skirts/dresses but hate them in shorts.
    So, keep losing body fat, keep doing strength training, and work on loving yourself - big legs and all. :)
    Sarah is smart,and I am the same way with my sturdy German legs. My calves were 15.5" when I had around 20-ish% body fat (although I am much taller at 5'10") and I still had large thighs. I never felt confident in shorts, like they emphasized the size of my legs, but skirts and dresses were much more flattering.

Also, lowering your body fat is the best way to reduce the size, but keep in mind that your build might just mean you won't have tiny legs.

Finally, your legs do look good as they are now.
  • rightkindofwrong
    rightkindofwrong Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    NOPE! boots are a NO GO! i have a pair of UGGS that i can wear ONLY if i roll them down because they cant go past my ankles :(
  • Glynneybug
    Glynneybug Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    I have GIANT calfs also- BUT- I would just like to throw this out there, when I stare at other people's big calfs I'm not thinking anything but "DAMN! Look at those big sexy buff legs, grrrr." But that is just me. I think you have beaufitul legs and I'd perv on ya, if you were walking down the street. ;o) All bodies are different and my grandmother would say with strong big legs you must have good understanding!!!
    ~Glynis
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    Your legs are beautiful and fit. Embrace your shape.
  • Diary_Queen
    Diary_Queen Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    I started out with 25" calves.... the size of your thighs... and I bought boots, wore shorts, etc. Granted I sometimes wanted smaller legs, but you have what you have until you change it. Of course, as you lose weight, you will get small over your entire body, but you seriously can't just love yourself enough to say that you have big calves and move on? Do you think that people care? No... ! Then why do you care so much? Your self-worth isn't a number on a scale or numbers on a tape measure... you're working at being a better you - now there's something to focus on!
  • a_stronger_me13
    a_stronger_me13 Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    Stop worrying about it. They don't look like big to me. I'm sure no one even notices much less thinks they are "giant". People look at and take in your entire image not just the one tiny detail you seem to focus on. Rock some shorts and skirt. No one is perfect. We are all different. Having thicker legs isn't "wrong". A little self acceptance goes a long way.
    Also, lowering your body fat is the best way to reduce the size, but keep in mind that your build might just mean you won't have tiny legs.

Finally, your legs do look good as they are now.

This and this.

You can only change your general shape so much, but by strength training and eating at a small deficit, you're going to continue to shed fat. You won't be building any new muscle, so your general size will decrease overall. Now it may not do that proportionately, so if you like the majority of your body right now, I wouldn't sweat rocking some strong looking calves.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    NOPE! boots are a NO GO! i have a pair of UGGS that i can wear ONLY if i roll them down because they cant go past my ankles :(

Not that it's boot season but plenty of manufacturers make wide calf boots. I just clicked on the first one here and it said the calf circumference was 17" plus there's a stretch panel.

http://www.zappos.com/womens-boots~zj#!/women-boots/CK_XARCz1wE6AogOwAEB4gIEARgCBw.zso?s=goliveRecentSalesStyle/desc/
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    I have really thick legs, I always have. I refuse to wear shorts even when its 100+ degrees. I am 5'4'' and 159 pounds. My calves are 16.75'' and my thighs are 25 1/2''. I recently lost 24 pounds but my calves haven't changed at all!! I just want to be able to wear shorts and cute summer dresses and feel good in public, hell even in the privacy of my own house. I hate feeling like EVERYONE stares at my GIANT calves! Anyone have any pointers or going through the same thing?

I'm kind of with everybody else: your legs look great. Learn to love them. My calves and thighs are bigger than yours and I consider them an asset.

That being said, you probably will notice a reduction if you decide to continue slimming.
  • rightkindofwrong
    rightkindofwrong Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    First of all, if your profile picture is you, you look beautiful and your legs are amazing.

You should be rocking short shorts and heels with those stems!

...as for how to make them smaller? Lower body fat. You *can* lower LBM too if that's the sort of thing you're into.

Yes I have lost 2 inches in my thighs but my calves measure the same exact.
  • KylaDenay
    KylaDenay Posts: 1,585 Member
    Options
    I have 42 in hips 25 inch thighs and I think my calves are around 15 in. I love it!! I am trying to lose at least 17 lbs, but if I could just stay that thick, build muscle lose fat I would be so happy. Embrace those thick legs. They look just fine the way they are.

I do feel ya on the shorts though, but I just don't wear them cause my thighs rub together and that is annoying.
  • WickedPineapple
    WickedPineapple Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    Same here. I'm 5'1" and my calves are currently 14.5" and my thighs are 22". I've lost 30+ lbs, and I think only 1" has come off my calves and 2.5" off my thighs; however, I have noticed a fat loss around those areas, but not much where I measure (like above/below my calves). At this point, if I flex you can feel my calves are solid muscle. Some of us are just thicker! There's nothing wrong with that. Wear the shorts and keep in mind some skinny dudes trying to bulk are jealous. :wink:
  • SteampunkSongbird
    SteampunkSongbird Posts: 826 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'5", my thighs are massive, and nothing in the world could make me show them off in shorts. They're also where I have cellulite, which disgusts me when I look in the mirror. They're pretty much the bane of my life!
  • ladybg81
    ladybg81 Posts: 1,553 Member
    Options
    I'm right there with you girl!