Extra calories on lifting days?

Options
Hi!

I just signed up here yesterday. I'm trying to gain about 15 lbs of muscle (and hopefully no fat) so I'm tracking my food here to clean up my diet and make sure that I am eating enough good food. I understand not adding extra calories for lifting if you're trying to drop weight, but that doesn't seem logical to me since I'm trying to gain.

I lift for 40-50 minutes MWF following the Texas Method and run about 40 minutes on one or two other days of the week. MFP gave me 830 extra calories for my 5.3 mile run yesterday, but nothing for my heavy lifting session today. I don't want to hinder my gains by not eating enough on lifting days. Would it be reasonable to conservatively add 400 calories (about half of my run calories) to my target on those days?

Thanks!

Replies

• JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    well. number one thing.

get it out of your head you're going to add 15 pounds of muscle and no fat. It's just not going to happen.

secondly
    running and trying to bulk is hard. You're mostly just adding extra food to your diet when it can be difficult to get it all in just from lifting.

three- clean bulking is practically a waste of time.

four- what's your maintance level for calories?

typically for men you're looking at a 4-500 calorie surplus on top of maintance calories.

If you do TDEE_ you not eat back.

If you do MFP way- then you eat back- if you are losing- only eat bcak 50-75% of your workout calories- if you are bulking- eat back all of them... if not more.

remember as you gain- the surplus must also go up... I jumped from 2500- to 3000 over siz months and honestly should have been eating closer to 3500 if not more.
  • LazSommer
    LazSommer Posts: 1,851 Member
    Options
    Why are you running if you are bulking?
  • steve1686
    steve1686 Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    You are correct that in order to gain muscle you will need to be in a calorie surplus. From a standpoint of body composition, it doesn't matter if you eat more on the days you lift. More importantly is the amount of calories you get over a period of time, say a week. but if eating more on lifting days and less days helps you in terms of energy or whatever else then by all means go ahead. So it's personal preference really
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    Hi!

I just signed up here yesterday. I'm trying to gain about 15 lbs of muscle (and hopefully no fat) so I'm tracking my food here to clean up my diet and make sure that I am eating enough good food. I understand not adding extra calories for lifting if you're trying to drop weight, but that doesn't seem logical to me since I'm trying to gain.

I lift for 40-50 minutes MWF following the Texas Method and run about 40 minutes on one or two other days of the week. MFP gave me 830 extra calories for my 5.3 mile run yesterday, but nothing for my heavy lifting session today. I don't want to hinder my gains by not eating enough on lifting days. Would it be reasonable to conservatively add 400 calories (about half of my run calories) to my target on those days?

Thanks!

Wow, if you are trying to bulk and running I suggest 20 minutes of hitt a couple times a week that's it; none of this 5+ mile crap, all that is doing is making you need more calories and taking away for the needed recovery of said muscle in order for them to grow.
  • CleanBulking
    CleanBulking Posts: 12 Member
    Options

I'm running just to maintain cardio fitness so I can keep up with my kids.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options

2x20min HIIT/week then, more energy for the kids and less time working out and more recovery time for muscles to grow
  • Kelly_Runs_NC
    Kelly_Runs_NC Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    there is a website called "If It Fits Your Macros"....google it and check it out. It has a calculator for bulking (gaining muscle) and cutting (losing fat).
  • CleanBulking
    Options
    well. number one thing.

get it out of your head you're going to add 15 pounds of muscle and no fat. It's just not going to happen.

secondly
    running and trying to bulk is hard. You're mostly just adding extra food to your diet when it can be difficult to get it all in just from lifting.

typically for men you're looking at a 4-500 calorie surplus on top of maintance calories.

If you do MFP way- then you eat back- if you are losing- only eat bcak 50-75% of your workout calories- if you are bulking- eat back all of them... if not more.

remember as you gain- the surplus must also go up... I jumped from 2500- to 3000 over siz months and honestly should have been eating closer to 3500 if not more.

JoRocka,

I know I will gain some fat, but I want to minimize that since I have enough fat already. My work gives free annual health screenings in May where they measure your weight, bodyfat, bmi. From 2013 to 2014, I gained 5.5 lbs and lost 0.5 lb of fat. I know 5.5 lbs in a year isn't much, but I wasn't consistent at all with my diet and exercise since my wife had a baby in December.

Lifting for strength is priority over running for me now. I used to run 6 days a week training for marathons so 1 or 2 short runs a week isn't that much.

I don't know my maintenance level for calories. MFP said I should be eating 2630 calories/day, I chose the gain 0.5 lb/wk option.

Thanks for all the tips. Purposely bulking is completely new to me so you gave me a lot to ponder.
  • CleanBulking
    Options
    there is a website called "If It Fits Your Macros"....google it and check it out. It has a calculator for bulking (gaining muscle) and cutting (losing fat).

Thanks! I'll check it out.
  • MityMax96
    MityMax96 Posts: 5,778 Member
    Options

Right now, even though I am on a "cut"
    My cardio is light.
    2 x a week....~45 min.
    Stair master and elliptical.
  • MityMax96
    Options
    JoRocka,

I know I will gain some fat, but I want to minimize that since I have enough fat already. My work gives free annual health screenings in May where they measure your weight, bodyfat, bmi. From 2013 to 2014, I gained 5.5 lbs and lost 0.5 lb of fat. I know 5.5 lbs in a year isn't much, but I wasn't consistent at all with my diet and exercise since my wife had a baby in December.

Lifting for strength is priority over running for me now. I used to run 6 days a week training for marathons so 1 or 2 short runs a week isn't that much.

I don't know my maintenance level for calories. MFP said I should be eating 2630 calories/day, I chose the gain 0.5 lb/wk option.

Thanks for all the tips. Purposely bulking is completely new to me so you gave me a lot to ponder.

Any idea what your BF% is??

Cause I don't know that bulking is needed or should be done if you are over ~18% BF
  • CleanBulking
    Options
    JoRocka,

Any idea what your BF% is??

Cause I don't know that bulking is needed or should be done if you are over ~18% BF

According to the health screening, I'm 15.4% @ 200 lbs.
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    well. number one thing.

secondly

JoRocka,

The MFP system was designed mainly for weight loss. For gain you want to use a TDEE system.

Put together a workout regimen that is consistent from week to week, where the amount of cardio you do (which should be minimal) and the amount of lifting you do does not vary from one week to the next. Use one of the many TDEE calculators out to figure your actual calorie requirements based on that schedule. Accept the fact that, BEST case scenario, only about 30% of the weight you gain will actually be muscle. And that's being optimistic.
  • MityMax96
    Options
    then bulking is prolly fine for you....
    Just track and monitor.
    Don't go crazy. :wink:
  • Chris_Pierce
    Chris_Pierce Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    [/quote]

The MFP system was designed mainly for weight loss. For gain you want to use a TDEE system.

[/quote]

I'm curious as to why you think this. I'm not arguing with you, I'm just curious.
  • sculli123
    sculli123 Posts: 1,221 Member
    Options

You can manipulate the macros and calories in MFP to work with your TDEE and goals for either weight loss or gain.
  • Chris_Pierce
    Chris_Pierce Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    Wouldn't that make the Mfp system better than tdee?
  • sculli123
    sculli123 Posts: 1,221 Member
    Options
    well. number one thing.

secondly

How do you know OP can't add 15 lbs of muscle? Do you know his / her age, background or anything about them? Why do you think clean bulking is a waste of time? I disagree with that totally except for brand new beginner lifters who are very skinny. I would only recommend a 'dirty' bulk for teens or very skinny newbs.
  • CleanBulking
    Options
    well. number one thing.

secondly

JoRocka,

Put together a workout regimen that is consistent from week to week, where the amount of cardio you do (which should be minimal) and the amount of lifting you do does not vary from one week to the next. Use one of the many TDEE calculators out to figure your actual calorie requirements based on that schedule. Accept the fact that, BEST case scenario, only about 30% of the weight you gain will actually be muscle. And that's being optimistic.

My workout program has very been consistent over the last 3 months. I lift heavy 3 days a week, run once and do a barbell complex once. Weekends are for yardwork and kids.

The calculator on IIFYM gave me a TDEE of 3019 calories and a text book 10% bulk at 3321 calories.
  • martinel2099
    martinel2099 Posts: 899 Member
    Options
    well. number one thing.

secondly

How do you know OP can't add 15 lbs of muscle? Do you know his / her age, background or anything about them? Why do you think clean bulking is a waste of time? I disagree with that totally except for brand new beginner lifters who are very skinny. I would only recommend a 'dirty' bulk for teens or very skinny newbs.

She said don't expect to put on 15 lbs of muscle [without putting on some fat].