Suggest easy ways for me to consume more baby spinach!

Options
13»

Replies

• Goin4goal
    Goin4goal Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I vote for the smoothies, I have one almost every morning with both spinach and kale added to different fruit and protein powder.

Also, I put a paper towel inside the plastic container and it helps to absorb the moisture. Seems to last a bit longer.
  • jlgemma
    jlgemma Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I like making spinach pesto. I use this recipe below and replace half the basil with baby spinach. You can do so much with. I like to put a little on grilled chicken or steak. I have also used it as a spread on sandwiches, on scrambled eggs and of course tossed with some penne pasta. Although, I am staying away from pasta for a while...It freezes pretty into ice cube trays for small servings.

http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Classic-Pesto-109802

I have also chopped left over spinach in my food processor added a little water and frozen it that way too. It makes it easy to throw a couple cubes in to soups/sauces to give them a little extra nutrient boost.

Good luck!
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,637 Member
    Options
    I second all the suggestions to saute. Wilt it down with a little butter and garlic. A whole bag becomes a tiny but very tasty serving.
  • coaoalo
    coaoalo Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    There's loads of ways- with eggs, in wraps/ sandwiches, in tomato dishes (eg bolognese), in cheese sauces (I know this isn't strictly healthy but you can make it alright), as layers instead of lasagna sheets, in smoothies. I'm sure there's much more that I use it for. I go through spinach at ridiculous rates.
  • sanndandi
    sanndandi Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    in for ideas !
  • Mangopickle
    Mangopickle Posts: 1,509 Member
    Options
    Take any lasagna soup recipe ( there are many at highly rated ones at Yummly.com) and dump it all in at the end with some fresh grated nutmeg. Freakin awesome!!!
  • spoiledpuppies
    spoiledpuppies Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    If you cook the package for any purpose (omelet, sautéed w/ anything, etc.) you'll be amazed by how much it cooks down. A huge bag can easily turn into about a cup or even less of cooked spinach.
  • psmd
    psmd Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    Wow so many ideas! I run into the same problem as OP that we throw it out sometimes. Never again!