With daily exercise...

Options
2»

Replies

• missylectro
    missylectro Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    So basically I should experiment., try it out...
  • _EndGame_
    _EndGame_ Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    Your TDEE factors in your exercise.

Eating your TDEE is a deficit.

I mean, I could be wrong, I'm not an expert or anything, but I lost 135lbs going off these basic principals, so I must have been doing something right!

If I was going to give you any advice at all, it would be don't fall into the 1200 daily calorie trap. You'll end up restricting yourself, denying yourself things you enjoy and you'll stand a greater chance of falling off the wagon. Going with your TDEE or even 1900 allows for things you enjoy to actually be fitted into your macros, thus making this whole weight loss experience a more pleasant one.

Although, as others have mentioned, what works for one doesn't always work for others. Try it out, try 1200 calories for a week (if you can last that long) then try eating your TDEE for a week, see what results you get, see how you feel, then perhaps try to find a happy medium?

Good luck!
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    ... can you really lose eating 1900 calories?

Sure, it just depends.
  • RHachicho
    RHachicho Posts: 1,115 Member
    Options
    Everyone is different. Though if you are asking if it is within the realm of possibility. Then sure.
  • jdhcm2006
    jdhcm2006 Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    It depends on what you're doing. Are you doing strenuous exercise regularly, like 6-7 times a week? Then the answer is probably yes. If you're doing something less heart pumping 2-3 times a week then that's probably too many calories in a day.

Isn't the daily recommended amount of calories for the average sized woman to maintain on 2000, and a male 2500?

Not sure how you come to the conclusion that eating 1900 daily calories, on top of exercise won't be enough to lose weight.

What I'm saying is the more calories you burn the more calories you need to eat to keep the body properly fueled. So if you're burring 600 calories a day you'll need to take in more calories than someone who isn't burning that many. Hence, why I said it depends on what you are doing. I also don't like to give definite answers concerning weight loss because everyone is different which is why I used the word "probably."

And she isn't trying to maintain, she's trying to lose.

Well, I don't know the OP's weight and height, but my point is I guess, if she is overweight by whatever amount of calories, then based on the average amount of calories an average sized woman needs to maintain, 1900, with or without exercise will leave her in a deficit.

My Mum, for example. She is 5'4, and 126lbs. she eats (roughly) between 1800 - 2000 calories daily, and she has maintained her weight for the last 3 years, and she is 61.

Sorry if I came across as snarky, that wasn't my intention. It's just a lot of people restrict themselves because of a lot of conflicting information out there. I like to try and simplify things.

No worries. I definitely understand wanting to help people simplify things. There are so many methods out there that it can really get super complicated.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    To everyone who posted: I have calculated my TDEE based on a month of logging on here and it is around 2500... Thus I calculated that I need to eat around 1900 in order to lose... HOWEVER I find that hard to believe... You know the saying "eat less, exercise more"... This site suggests that I eat 1200, so that's a BIG difference

1200 is a lowest minimum DEFAULT. It's based in part by "I want to lose XX pounds per week." Any woman would get 1200 if her goals were high enough. Also, 1200 is with zero exercise factored in.

TDEE is your height, your weight, your age. 600 calories less than your TDEE is 1.2 pounds per week.
  • gringuitica
    gringuitica Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    OP, it looks like you have about 35 pounds left to lose? If it were *me*, what I'd do (and what I do do, on a regular basis) is enter your current stats into the Scooby calorie calculator: http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/.

Be honest about your activity level. I read activity as regular activity, not including exercise. Sedentary is for a desk job; lightly active is a job that keeps you on your feet (maybe a lecturing professor); moderately active is a job that keeps you active (e.g. loading/unloading at a warehouse). By calculating it this way, your exercise calories are extra so you eat back what you work off everyday.

So let's say you're 26, 5'4" and weigh 160. Scooby says your sedentary TDEE -20% is 1462 calories a day. You'd set your daily calories at 1462 and then eat back any exercise. So on a day that you burned 300 calories, your goal would be 1762; on a day that you burned 500 calories, your goal would be 1962. So yes, depending on how much (hard, long) you exercise, sure you can eat 1900 calories and lose.
  • fittoday14
    fittoday14 Posts: 128
    Options
    OP, it looks like you have about 35 pounds left to lose? If it were *me*, what I'd do (and what I do do, on a regular basis) is enter your current stats into the Scooby calorie calculator: http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/.

This has helped me too, thanks
  • missylectro
    missylectro Posts: 448 Member
    Options

Be honest about your activity level. I read activity as regular activity, not including exercise. Sedentary is for a desk job; lightly active is a job that keeps you on your feet (maybe a lecturing professor); moderately active is a job that keeps you active (e.g. loading/unloading at a warehouse). By calculating it this way, your exercise calories are extra so you eat back what you work off everyday.

So let's say you're 26, 5'4" and weigh 160. Scooby says your sedentary TDEE -20% is 1462 calories a day. You'd set your daily calories at 1462 and then eat back any exercise. So on a day that you burned 300 calories, your goal would be 1762; on a day that you burned 500 calories, your goal would be 1962. So yes, depending on how much (hard, long) you exercise, sure you can eat 1900 calories and lose.
    Wow you guessed two things right, I'm 26 and 5'4" and the weight is off by 4 pounds lol... This calculator gives me a TDEE 600 calories less than the calculations I did by looking at one months worth of information I entered on MFP... also different than the calculators on If It Fits Your Macros which were similar to the what I calculated. Why the big difference?

Right now I exercise at least 30 minutes each day but I work a desk job.

I think I'm gonna give 1450 a shot. Seems better than 1900...

I have another question. Are the workouts I do included in the calculations (which would mean that I wouldn't add them daily to increase my calorie allowance) or do I need to add them daily?
  • gringuitica
    gringuitica Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    If you're doing it the way I suggested, eat back your calories. That's why I say, you can definitely eat 1900 calories and lose – as long as you're burning 450+ extra cals a day through exercise (and eating them back).