A simple answer could change a life

Options

Replies

• CupcakesMom2
    CupcakesMom2 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Trying for simplicity here -

Substitute one high calorie unhealthy food with vegetables.
  • cpettigrew
    cpettigrew Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    Every day is a good day, some are just better than others.
    Find someone who you know know you can trust to be there, good or bad, who will let you freak out when need be, but still motivate you in the end.
  • sodakat
    sodakat Posts: 1,126 Member
    Options
    I would tell them to begin by eating smaller portions of their normal foods. Step 2 would be set a reasonable pound per week goal so they don't feel deprived and 3rd would be buy a food scale.
  • cicisiam
    cicisiam Posts: 491 Member
    Options
    Talk to a Doctor.
  • nonacgp
    nonacgp Posts: 132
    Options
    Set small, reasonable goals that are achievable. You can benefit by doing this because as you reach each goal, you will gain confidence. This is better than saying something like "i'm going to lose 100 lbs." When it doesn't happen in a couple of weeks,you get discouraged. Good luck.
  • Miffylou
    Miffylou Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    It won't happen overnight but with patience and persistence it will happen.

And

Be proud of all the little achievements along the way.
  • Goldilukes
    Goldilukes Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Remove all trigger foods, take one day at a time, set reasonable goals and be patient because slow and steady wins the race.
  • bookworm_847
    bookworm_847 Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    Baby steps! Make small changes rather than trying to change everything at once.
  • levitateme
    levitateme Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    It's been said over and over, but log absolutely everything, even if you eat too much. If you go out to dinner and eat more than you intended, don't just call it a cheat night and leave the meal blank. I've had those moments and still lost weight because I was under for my weekly goal. There can be a tendency to continue making bad choices after one bad day, I know it because I've been there.

Find an activity that you enjoy, something you want to be better at, and get involved with it.

Don't make up excuses. We're all busy, tired, have jobs, go to school, have families, obligations, social events, the list goes on. Make time for what you need to get done.

Don't do fad diets or diets that restrict whole food groups.

Make sure you know how many calories you're actually eating.

Just keep showing up for yourself. Do it for you.
  • just4nessa
    just4nessa Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    All great advice but you asked where to begin...you begin in your own head. Just wanting it to happen is not enough; you have to want to put in the effort it takes to make it happen.
  • Rainboots80
    Rainboots80 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Eat a low carb diet to start, it will curb cravings for sweets. You can slowly add them back after you lose some weight.
  • SnazzIT
    SnazzIT Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    Find honest and supportive people :)
  • mamadon
    mamadon Posts: 1,422 Member
    Options
    That's it's every bit a mental change as much as a physical. So many of us over eat at just one meal, or just one day. We then proceed to give ourselves a mental beat down, call ourselves losers who are weak. Then we give up. The key is to remember that we are all only human,and not to indulge in self hatred. They key is to learn to keep going. One bad day does not ruin weight loss. Weighing and measuring and calorie counting are of course all vital, but you have to have the right mentality or it will never work.
  • maz504
    maz504 Posts: 450
    Options
    Commit. It will have ups and downs but you have to stay committed. Forever.
  • mfp2014mfp
    mfp2014mfp Posts: 689 Member
    Options
    Get into the right state of mind, if there are emotional problems behind your eating, not dealing with them first will give you an uphill battle.
  • ChristineS_51
    ChristineS_51 Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    Just start moving more - and gradually increase as you get fitter.
  • biddy249
    biddy249 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    just get moving, and then learn how to eat.
  • denizfindigi
    Options
    Pain is temporary, success is permanent.
  • Nicolee_2014
    Nicolee_2014 Posts: 1,572 Member
    Options
    commitment, log everything, weigh everything.
  • gerard54
    gerard54 Posts: 1,107 Member
    Options
    Get on my fitness pal...