Personal Trainer

Options
2»

Replies

• fasttrack27
    Options
    I agree with the masses - I wouldnt do it. I'm sure you could find another good trainer that you connect with much better which would go a long ways in and of itself. And who says you need to sign for a whole year? You're already on the right track and obviously self-motivated enough than maybe just 1-2X per week for a couple months is enough to steer ya a little straigher.
  • Screw that, been there done that. They don't help you one bit! If you don't hold your self accountable for your actions, they won't. they only show you how to use the machines and weights. Go take kickboxing or something like that. Its way cheaper and its stuff you can use. You will also gain some great friends! I take Muay Thai kickboxing and its an insane workout!

Agreed -- I didn't get much out of the personal trainer I paid for either. I found much better stuff online for free to do at the gym
  • mymelody_78
    mymelody_78 Posts: 657 Member
    Options
    I am glad that you are deciding not to go with her. I think it may help short term but you may get burnt out and hate her. Possibly wasting the hard earn money. I agree with everyone...shop around!
  • Sweet13_Princess
    Sweet13_Princess Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    I agree that you should look around a bit more. A trainer and you should mesh, at least in terms of personalities and expectations. It sounds like you need flexibility and she's not willing to give you that. I also think that what she's charging you is too much! If you joined a gym, you could use their facilities and get a trainer for a lot less than hiring one independantly. If you're going to make this kind of investment, you owe it to yourself to shop around a bit more, find a better personality for a better price!

Shannon
  • ElizabethMcCathern
    Options
    I'm brand new to fitness, but she sounds like a self-righteous cow. :(
    Not helpful I know, but dang. LOL
  • lindalee0315
    lindalee0315 Posts: 527 Member
    Options
    Here are my thoughts, as a consumer of personal trainers' services in the past (and likely in the future): First, any attempt to pressure you beyond your current financial abilities is ridiculous. There was a personal training company right in my building that attempted that with me. I said no, and negotiated a different pay as you go arrangement for a slightly higher per-training session fee. If they want your money, they will work with you. That group also wanted 3x/week and it sounds like a similar pricing schedule. They did not offer meal plans. I simply could not justify dropping $3500 in one fell swoop.

Second, what I personally have found most effective is that I see a personal trainer when I'm (a) trying an entirely new approach; or (b) at a plateau. What I did for years pre-baby for years was schedule with my trainer every six weeks, after initially working with him once per week for six weeks. The initial time got me familar with the gym, and trained me about the intensity level I needed and correct form. After I knew my way around, I didn't need that 1:1 attention. However, if you do the same routine over and again, you will stop seeing results. So, every six weeks he switched things up for me. I kept motivated knowing that he would be able to tell if I hadn't been there, and I kept seeing results. It's also a lot cheaper that way.

Third, find the trainer who is right for you. Not every person will work for you, regardless of the accolades they've received from others. I like a low-key approach because I'm pretty motivated. Anyone "perky" or obnoxious is not going to work for me. You may be totally different.
  • TrainingWithTonya
    TrainingWithTonya Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    This is the kind of crap that sends me off the deep end--and gives "trainers" such a bad name. These are the people who ruin the industry and undermine the credibility of honest professionals. These are the people who scuttle any attempts to introduce standards of practice for trainers and fitness professionals. Unless she is a licensed, registered dietitian, her "diet" plan is probably illegal.

Unfortunately a little charisma and some fake boobs are all it takes to become an "award-winning trainer".

Ditto!

90% of the personal trainers out there working as trainers don't even have a cursory education in nutrition. It's barely covered in personal training certifications and it isn't covered enough for anyone with just a personal trainer certification to design a diet plan. In some states you can work as a nutritionist and give diet plans, but that still requires a special certification. I got my sports nutrition certification for that reason. However, most states require a registered dietitian to prescribe a diet. Which is why I'm going for my masters in nutrition after my bachelors, so I can move out of this state. LOL

As for her being an award winning trainer, that doesn't mean anything. Most of the ones I've seen and won are popularity contests. They have nothing to do with how much you know, but more with who you know. The same goes for "celebrity" trainers. I've had my own tv show too, but the difference between me and someone like Jillian Michaels is that my show was in a local market and her's is global. Oh, and the fact that I have about 2 dozen more certifications under my belt then she does and am getting a college degree in exercise. A great trainer isn't about his or her celebrity or recognition. A great trainer is about their education and using that education to help as many people as possible, not just their bottom line.

There are no deadlines in personal training. The line that you have to book within a week is so she gets paid sooner, nothing else. A good trainer can design you a program that you can do on your own for 3-4 months and then meet with you again then to give you an updated program. Those programs can be designed in 2-3 sessions if needs be for financial reasons. One of those sessions should be an evaluation of your fitness level and the other 1-2 should be spent teaching you proper form on the exercises. After that, you can do it on your own if you want. Any trainer who isn't willing to do that, is just out for cash. Yes, you get more support and more variety by working with a trainer regularly, but with the support on this board and the variety of exercises you can do on video or on your own after you learn them, you don't necessarily need it unless it is just the only way you can force yourself to get those tough workouts in. That's typically the majority of my clients reason for hiring me.
  • murf19
    murf19 Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    we are the best personal trainers and motivators there is, and it only costs NOTHING!
  • claudiaquintero
    Options
    Everyone has given you great advice. It is clear that it would be insane to spend money that you don't have. Don't even go there.

I have bought inexpensive DVDs such as "Shaping Up With Weights for Dummies" to learn how to execute basic exercises and its proper postures. I have also invest in nutrition books (knowledge is power!... I recommend you "Eat to Live." Although very radical in its approach, it is a good book on nutrition). I also recommend you to buy a "Bar Method" or "Callanetics" DVD. These are excellent exercises to heal and reshape the body, and you can do them at home.

Now, if you are looking for a kick-*kitten* hot trainer for free, check the following link... she's GREAT!!

http://www.bodyrock.tv/
  • MariaFromMelbourne
    Options
    Don't bother. I'm sure you could find trainers that are as good if not better in your area that are happy to explain what your training would involve.

Have you thought about maybe getting a trainer to train you once a week or once every 2 weeks so it won't cost you much in personal trainer fees but your trainer can still make sure that you are heading in the right direction.

I am currently training 4 times a week, once with a trainer and two with a friend and then one by myself. The sessions I complete by myself are definitely the hardest to stay motivated in.
  • cracky
    cracky Posts: 15
    Options
    Agreeing with everyone here also!
    If you're uncomfortable in the first visit you wont be comfortable for the next one and eventually you wont want to go.
    Three sessions a week is a bit much too - if you do one or two it will keep you on track and you can just repeat what one of the training sessions on your day off.

Use this site as motivation or find a group of frineds on facebook to annoy you into going to the gym.

Agreeing with the meal plan thing too - you need to get the option to peek at it before signing - what if it all tastes gross! You're not going to stick with something awful! Also what insaine person designs a meal plan without allowing a slice of cake on your birthday or pudding on Christmas!

Run away.. use the motivation of getting as far away as possible to spur you on with running!