Fat Girls (and Former Fat Girls) - I Need Help!

Options
2»

Replies

• callas444
    callas444 Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    Maybe you know someone who has recently lost weight and might donate their clothes to you? I have lots of clothes I would like to get rid of at this point as soon as I find someone who might want them. (You're not in Ohio, are you?)
  • HWeatherholt
    HWeatherholt Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    Buy a pair of black dress slacks, and if you can wear them a pair of black capris and a pair of kaki capris. You can pair all three with a ton of different tops. And tops that are a big, especially button ups can be continued to be worn as a open top with a cami, can still be pulled off fashionably. Just make sure that the pants have belt loops and you will be set at least through the summer and possibly into the fall.
  • danicaone_101
    danicaone_101 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    It is all about layers up top and having the essentials. I suggest having a nice black blazer (or something similar like a dressy cardigan), business look blouse, white/black spaghetti strap top, and black or grey slacks or pencil skirt. Always nice to have different colors of each but it depends on you. Right now, I have my go to business look outfit which is black slacks and a dressy white blouse all from Ross.

As for the layers, if you have different colored spaghetti strap tops then you can match it with blouses to mix it up a little and of course, it helps with giving a more slimmer look.

Example: black pencil skirt or slack, plain white blouse, black or grey undertop, simple black cardigan, and flats. Accessories--watch and simple studs. Hair in a medium high pony tail or pinned
  • liftingandlipstick
    liftingandlipstick Posts: 1,857 Member
    Options
    How is your budget in general? I know you don't want to blow on clothes you can't wear long, but can you afford to spend $100-$200 at once? Goodwill (or another large thrift type shop) is seriously your best bet. You can get pants/skirts for $5 a piece, shirts $3-5. I'd say follow the advice as to WHAT to buy that everyone here has already given. Take a day trip to the closest, largest Goodwill you can get to and buy that wardrobe in the 22s/2XL you currently fit into. Then buy some in the next size down. Depending on how fast you lose, these should last fyou a few months, at which point you can repeat. I live far enough from a Goodwill that I can get the trip in every 6 weeks or so. I usually try on a TON, and buy a few things that fit, and a few things that almost fit. I occasionally also pick up something I really, really love, but is definitely too small, then hang it up in my workout area as inspiration :)

For reference, I started at a size 24. In the past 4 months, I've lost 40 pounds and can fit comfortably in 18/20s depending on the brand, so less than one size per month. Apparently the sizes do go faster once you get out of plus sizes, so do just a few sizes at once.
  • indignantgnome
    indignantgnome Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Maybe you know someone who has recently lost weight and might donate their clothes to you? I have lots of clothes I would like to get rid of at this point as soon as I find someone who might want them. (You're not in Ohio, are you?)

Unfortunately, not in Ohio! :P
  • indignantgnome
    Options
    How is your budget in general? I know you don't want to blow on clothes you can't wear long, but can you afford to spend $100-$200 at once? Goodwill (or another large thrift type shop) is seriously your best bet. You can get pants/skirts for $5 a piece, shirts $3-5. I'd say follow the advice as to WHAT to buy that everyone here has already given. Take a day trip to the closest, largest Goodwill you can get to and buy that wardrobe in the 22s/2XL you currently fit into. Then buy some in the next size down. Depending on how fast you lose, these should last fyou a few months, at which point you can repeat. I live far enough from a Goodwill that I can get the trip in every 6 weeks or so. I usually try on a TON, and buy a few things that fit, and a few things that almost fit. I occasionally also pick up something I really, really love, but is definitely too small, then hang it up in my workout area as inspiration :)

For reference, I started at a size 24. In the past 4 months, I've lost 40 pounds and can fit comfortably in 18/20s depending on the brand, so less than one size per month. Apparently the sizes do go faster once you get out of plus sizes, so do just a few sizes at once.

I am looking at spending probably $75ish later this week, and then I'll be out of town *for* this new job in a couple of weeks and will have access to a decent selection for those few days. Hoping that plan works out, at least.
  • chunt87
    chunt87 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I started as a 16, I loved loved loved VS clearance for clothes, lane bryant, catherines, and the avenue. If you find some classic things and mix and match, solid black bottoms with a printed blouse and a blazer will get you very far.
  • grho
    grho Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I have found some great deals at Kohls and JCP (Clearance racks!). I would agree with a lot of the advice given-Black pants are great and I do a cardigan/sweater and dress tank almost every day. Ross/TJ Maxx/Marshalls are good too, if you have the patience to look through everything and try on (Usually the stuff I find there is different brands than I am used and I have to try it on to determine what size I need).
  • auntiemsgr8
    auntiemsgr8 Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    Look at this guy LOL. he needs to be your style guru. But I agree. Buy a few key pieces. As you lose weight, you can just add fun belts and stuff. Walmart has some decent plus sized stuff by George.

I have watched far more What Not To Wear than I reasonably should have. :laugh:

Absolutely nothing wrong with this!!

You have some great advice.

My advice is to try Kohls if there is one near you. And look for more simple cuts that can possibly be tailored as you lose weight

Two black pants/skirts should be your base. Then add blouses/sweaters

Navy is also a good choice

Congratulations on your new job.
  • FlaxMilk
    FlaxMilk Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    I would try Amazon or Ebay.
  • redwoodkestrel
    redwoodkestrel Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    Try oldnavy.com - they're having a sale right now, 15% off almost everything. You can find some nice pants, a few blouses, a sweater or two... all without breaking the budget.

Start with pants that are easy to match lots of tops with, like these: http://oldnavy.gap.com/browse/product.do?cid=9086&vid=8&pid=269887012
  • indignantgnome
    Options

And look for more simple cuts that can possibly be tailored as you lose weight

Thankfully, tailoring is something I can *definitely* handle!
  • Kazzam33
    Kazzam33 Posts: 210
    Options
    Where are you OP?
    I shop online & order from ASOS Curve, City Chic (Aus) or Forever 21 Plus (USA). Ive been between size 16-20 (NZ) up & down.

Its a bit pricey buying pretty clothes when you're a bigger lass I must admit but if you stick to basics ie: a couple pants/skirts & a couple jackets then you can just interchange tops to make the look different it all looks ok.
  • Justkeepswimmin
    Justkeepswimmin Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    Look at this guy LOL. he needs to be your style guru. But I agree. Buy a few key pieces. As you lose weight, you can just add fun belts and stuff. Walmart has some decent plus sized stuff by George.

I have watched far more What Not To Wear than I reasonably should have. :laugh:

Awesome.
  • djc315
    djc315 Posts: 585 Member
    Options
    Look into gwynnie bee or something similar. It is a monthly clothing subscription. Basically, you pay a certain amount each month to "borrow" clothes. Send back a piece of clothing, they send you something new to try. gwynnie bee charges by how many article of clothing you have out at once. They also offer a free trial.

I would also consider just buying a few pairs of pants - khaki colored and navy blue. Those colors will go with anything. And change up your look by adding jewelry or a scarf. You won't lose too much weight to wear jewelry/scarves :)