The hardest thing you had to overcome to lose weight?

Options
2»

Replies

• chele1028
    chele1028 Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    Hi my friend!

The hardest thing was realizing wow, I really do need to exercise to lose this large amount of weight I had gained. Diets I tried in the past only took me so far, never more than 18-20 lbs. So this time, I set foot in the gym and never looked back. I didn't let excuses get in my way of getting healthy. I had to do this, I just had to move my body. I don't look at it as a diet anymore either. It is just a real way of eating, something I can live with. I just wanted it bad enough. You will do it! Believe that you can, and just do it. ;-)
  • Kitteneyes01
    Kitteneyes01 Posts: 125
    Options
    Limiting my candy intake. :cry: And starting to do physical activity. In the beginning I couldn't even walk half a 1/4 mile without being out of breath! Now watch me! I'm walkin' 5-6miles a day!:bigsmile:
  • litsy3
    litsy3 Posts: 783 Member
    Options
    Admitting to myself that I was fat and that I didn't like it, rather than convincing myself I wasn't *that* fat and was happy.
  • Rowan813
    Rowan813 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    Mindless eating. I can rack up way too many calories without realizing it or even feeling full. Having a little bit here and there really adds up. Keeping a food diary and making a plan is the best way for me to avoid extra calories and weight gain. I even feel better and have more energy when I eat the right portions of healthier foods.
  • Rachywascakes
    Rachywascakes Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    For me, it was the enormity of the situation I had gotten myself into. To realise that the only way I could lose weight was to eat less ... And that I needed to lose a massive amount of weight. Once I had accepted that it was going to take a long time, the process has been a whole lot less scary. Reading the threads on here made me realise I could still have chocolate, popcorn, ice cream etc., but that I couldn't constantly eat it like there was going to be a world shortage!
  • epona08
    epona08 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    The hardest thing I had to overcome was to continue to workout when I was working 60 hours a week! Also continuing to workout when the scale is stuck!

This.

I was pretty serious from about December to March and lost about twenty pounds (and kept it off). I still have another 25-40 pounds to lose to be healthier and happier but fell off the band wagon as my work schedule picked back up to alternating 45hr to 60 hr work weeks, plus a 45 minute commute. I'm getting back into it now to try to get the rest of the weight off but my hectic schedule is always the hardest part for me, both in regards to getting to the gym and to cooking better (e.g., not being lazy).
  • TeachTheGirl
    TeachTheGirl Posts: 2,091 Member
    Options
    The anxiety of getting myself to a gym and being around other people. It was crippling at times and I would feel tense and keep my eyes down, but now I just go in and get it done. =)
  • GiRock
    GiRock Posts: 1
    Options
    When we retired in 1998, I weighed 252 pounds. From 1998 to 2011, I lost down to 220 pounds using the South Beach diet and kept it off by becoming more aware of my food choices. What I started doing was using an "in place of" diet. Instead of eating nachos, chips and dip, snacks, Blizzards in addition to a meal, I eat the treats in place of. About three years ago, in 2011, I had an issue with my stomach and got completely turned off to sweets and could only eat a small amount and got my weight down to 185 and held steady there until now in June 2014, I would like to get down to 150 pounds. Over the years, I have tried TOPS, Weight Watchers, Liquid Protein diet, and South Beach diet. Most successful was the Liquid Protein, when I got down to 140 pounds, but then gained it all back up to 252.. Now down to 183 and keeping the journal of food, exercise, and knowing what my calorie count is helps. I exercise daily. Be honest with yourself when logging the calories and exercise. The loss may be slow, but it will be there. Almost all the women in my family have been overweight so genetics may play a part. It took me years to put it on, I can't expect to take it off in one month.
  • _KitKat_
    _KitKat_ Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    Getting over my denial, realized I didn't recognize myself and only weighed 2lbs less than my 6' husband (I am 5'4)...then got pissed, then said but nothing changed...must be a medical issue, well blood panels and my doctor looking me in the eye and saying"nothing is wrong medically with you, you caused this". Went home thought my doctor of 10+ years had lost her mind and missed something. Educated myself, looked at the last 3 years and came to the realization that I was over snacking at night and had gotten lazier.

Once these facts hit me as truthful, the rest has been pretty easy. I have never watched weight before and even after 2 kids always maintained from 130-140 and fit, in 3 years I gained to 179. Not big to some but HUGE for me. As soon as I accepted responsibility and owned my actions that caused the gain, it was the kick in the pants I needed for action.
  • caitconquersweight
    caitconquersweight Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    Consistency is the thing that's made it hard for me over the years. I'd start, try to change too much too quickly, and would quickly lose steam as soon as I was stressed or went out to eat. But for whatever reason, I've stuck to it this time. It's also extremely difficult for me to ignore my overeating cues and stick to healthy foods. It doesn't happen every single day anymore (usually when I'm PMSing, like now), but there are times when I get a terrible urge to eat everything in the house that's made of chocolate, peanut butter, and dairy products. I've avoided super mega major horrible binges, but sometimes the urge is so hard to fight off.

Oh, and getting the motivation to exercise. It's not so bad anymore, but sometimes I gotta bribe myself to get off the couch.

Another one is finally accepting that this is going to take a *long* time. I didn't put on all this weight overnight, it's slowly been packed on over the course of 10+ years. I'm not going to lose all of the weight in the next six months, probably not even in the next year. But every loss is better than the alternative. I try to take it one day at a time and remember how far I've come.
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    Cooking delicious meals, not being excited enough by my cooking to just come home and eat something I've prepared. So then I go get something from a restaurant that easily wipes out a week's deficit even though I know better. That's one reason I'm all over any ideas for easy new recipes. I can't learn too many at once else I'll be overwhelmed, but a bit at a time seems to help

But one good thing is that so long as the overall trend is downwards, that's all that matters. I may not be successful every single week but I'm getting there regardless , and that's Ace
  • sculli123
    sculli123 Posts: 1,221 Member
    Options
    Mainly just tightening up the diet. For me the hardest thing is lowering my carb intake because most of the foods I liked have tons of carbs (and calories). So once I eliminated most of them, it's been slow and steady but successful so far. That doesn't mean I don't enjoy what I eat now though, I defiitely do. I make healthier substitution that taste just as good and I still do at least one high carb day a week.
  • Froody2
    Froody2 Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    A few things were difficult to overcome and the things that have proved hard have changed over the two years it's taken me to come this far.

1. Initially it was realising that yes, I really was that fat. I think I had reverse anorexia lol.
    2. Being consistent.
    3. Recently coming to the realisation that I was maintaining my weight at my then calorie level. Lowering my calorie limit by a couple of hundred was traumatic - I love food! But I got used to it.

I suggest taking a long hard look at the way you've attempted to lose weight in the past, otherwise you're doomed to repeat the same mistakes. Best of luck :)
  • Iwishyouwell
    Iwishyouwell Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    Overcoming the fear of success.

Finally looking and feeling the way I desire, the way I've always desired, is an amazing and terrifying prospect. Being fat is a great excuse to avoid doing things that you know you must, but that make you face your your fears, and potential failure.

I already knew, deep down, I had incredible will power to do this. But while I loathed, loathed, loathed being fat, it still served some purpose that didn't become apparent until I have gotten closer and closer to goal.
  • hellohappycarla
    hellohappycarla Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for responding. True enough, I can relate to all of you. Weekends, being consistent, accepting reality, accepting that this will take a lot longer than Im fantasizing it to be. Acceptance, I guess, is the key and to never quit. I get discouraged pretty easily whenever i dont see any changes in me and then go back to being careless. Will do my best. Once again, my thanks. =)
  • Jkn921
    Jkn921 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    Exercise and eating less sugary foods
  • gypsy_spirit
    gypsy_spirit Posts: 2,107 Member
    Options
    Overcoming my own brain. It lied to me. It distorted my image in a mirror. It tried to make me quit. It took a year to get my brain on board with getting healthy. Once I did - the sky's the limit.