can someone please explain in layman's terms. ...

Options
Good morning

I would be so gratful if someone could explain the following for me so I can stop confusing myself!

Exante meal replacement .... around 600 kcal per day with good quick losses by going into ketosis.

Weigtwatchers for example...calorie counting in effect, with a more steady loss

but then I see people on weight watchers for example not losing some weks and people advising them that they have not eaten enough and their bodies have gone into starvation mode, but generally they have eaten over 1000 kcal and therefore more than on exante, for example.

So, what is right? I want to lose weight steadily, am restricting both carbs to around 60 per day and calories to around 1000 to 1200 per day, is this acceptable for weight loss?

Sorry it is confusing....but that is my middle name!

Thanks x

Replies

• Fig_1946
    Fig_1946 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Honestly? I don't know. All I do know is what works for me....I eat SMALL portions, never take seconds. I eat around 1000 calories a day. I don't eliminate any food groups....except meat, poultry and fish...I'm a vegetarian.

For exercise I walk, and use my 5# hand weights.

That's about it. I've gone from 210 pounds to 128, and am hoping to get to 120.

I hope this helps you!
  • Abi198111
    Abi198111 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I'm not an expert - let me just put that out there. But my understanding is that Exante works by basically tricking your body into thinking it's starving, which is why your body will be quick to use its fat reserves. However, low calorie diets (1,000-1,200 cal per day) are not low enough to get this same response from your body but may result in your metabolism slowing down and your body not burning too many calories and holding on to its fat reserves because it's not sure when it may need them.

ETA: The body is an amazing thing and can and will adapt to most situations pretty quickly. If you were to consistently eat 1,000 cals a day, your body would adapt and start burning calories accordingly, though it may be slow to start.
  • tealover12
    Options
    So if I were to eat around 700 calories a day would that put me onto a steady weight loss?

I think I want to lose weight quickly for a couple of weeks and then would be happy to lose 1 to 2lb per week.

What is the best way?

X
  • mamadon
    mamadon Posts: 1,422 Member
    Options
    I do not know what Exante is but to lose weight, you simply have to eat at a calorie deficit. In other words, burning more calories then you eat. I also know that 700 calories is mighty low.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    So if I were to eat around 700 calories a day would that put me onto a steady weight loss?

I think I want to lose weight quickly for a couple of weeks and then would be happy to lose 1 to 2lb per week.

What is the best way?

X

The best way is to eat as much as you can and still lose a reasonable amount of weight.

For example if you have 70lbs to lose...losing 1.5lbs a week is sufficent.

If you have 75+ lbs to lose 2 lbs/week is ideal
    If you have 40-75 lbs to lose 1.5 lbs/week is ideal
    If you have 25-40 lbs to lose 1 lbs/week is ideal
    If you have 15 -25 lbs to lose 0.5 to 1.0 lbs/week is ideal
    If you have less than 15 lbs to lose 0.5 lbs/week is ideal

eating 700 calories a day will result in fat and muscle loss. You will get lethargic, tired and put yourself in an unhealthy state. Your hair will eventually start to fall out, your nails will be brittle from lack of fuel, nutrients etc.

With 70lbs to go eating even at a reasonable deficit and you will lose quickly at first and then settle into an average of 1-1.5lbs a week.
  • Wonderob
    Wonderob Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options

What is the best way?

X

The best way is to eat as much as you can and still lose a reasonable amount of weight.

eating 700 calories a day will result in fat and muscle loss. You will get lethargic, tired and put yourself in an unhealthy state. Your hair will eventually start to fall out, your nails will be brittle from lack of fuel, nutrients etc.

With 70lbs to go eating even at a reasonable deficit and you will lose quickly at first and then settle into an average of 1-1.5lbs a week.

I agree with that entirely, there's no way I would deviate from that safe approach to weight loss

Exante do claim though that they guarantee by following their program that you will receive all the RDA of vitamins, nutrients and nutrients - it's a bold claim! If their claim is correct then I guess your hair won't fall out or your nails become brittle as you will be receiving your required nutrients etc

It's not something I would risk for myself or loved ones though
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    Options

What is the best way?

X

All of this.. Also, there is no requirement or even long term advantage to going low carb. You will lose a lot of water weight up front but after that you will still lose at the same rate as anyone else. The one thing we all do suggest is get more protein then the current FDA recommendations. Generally, you should aim for around 1g of protein per lb of lean body mass.
  • kutterba
    kutterba Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Studies show that women loose weight best by 1200 - 1600 calories and and increase in exercise.

That is the IDEAL.

Men are different. They do not have female hormones so they can "starve" and lose weight.

Not fair, but that's how it works.

Know you know. :wink:
  • kethry70
    kethry70 Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    Studies show that women loose weight best by 1200 - 1600 calories and and increase in exercise.

That is the IDEAL.

Men are different. They do not have female hormones so they can "starve" and lose weight.

Not fair, but that's how it works.

Know you know. :wink:

That way oversimplifies reality as it depends on age, height, activity levels, and lean body mass. There are plenty of women on these forums who lose weight at 2000 calories per day.
  • kethry70
    kethry70 Posts: 404 Member
    Options

What is the best way?

X

This - completely.
    There is no reason to eat such a low calorie diet. Fuel your body, eat everything you like in moderation, log all the foods, increase your activity level, and eat at a healthy deficit and the rest will follow. Almost everyone I know who lost a ton of weight via highly restrictive diets gained it all back when they started eating 'normally' again. Cause those diets are not sustainable
  • moment_to_arise
    moment_to_arise Posts: 207 Member
    Options

What is the best way?

X

the best way is no quick fixes. the best way to lose weight and keep it off is to change your lifestyle and eating habits. any "quick fixes" that will help you shed weight fast might seem great, but as soon as you stop them you will gain all the weight back, sometimes even more. you need to adopt a new way of eating and living that you can easily sustain for life.
  • moment_to_arise
    moment_to_arise Posts: 207 Member
    Options

What is the best way?

X

the best way is no quick fixes. the best way to lose weight and keep it off is to change your lifestyle and eating habits. any "quick fixes" that will help you shed weight fast might seem great, but as soon as you stop them you will gain all the weight back, sometimes even more. you need to adopt a new way of eating and living that you can easily sustain for life.

and please PLEASE for the love of god do NOT eat only 700 calories a day.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options

What is the best way?

X

QFT....

And I would also add that while "starvation mode" as it is often referred to on MFP is largely a myth...but too large of a deficit can jack with your hormones due to the fact that most people who do VLCDs cannot get meet their dietary fat and other nutrient requisites. These nutrient deficiencies and corresponding hormonal issues can make weight loss much more difficult than it has to be or should be.

Additionally, it is not necessary to low carb...but most people who follow the SAD could stand to reduce their carbohydrate intake and seek out more nutritious sources of carbohydrates. This kinda naturally happens when you try to up your nutrition and eat a more balanced diet.
  • CHhbi
    CHhbi Posts: 8
    Options
    If you were to eat 700 calories a day, you would be in starvation mode, unless you are rail thin and used to eating next to nothing.

Your body will burn between 1500 to 2000 calories a day automatically depending on your lifestyle. Those need to be replaced. However with diet and exercise, you increase the calories you burn and by keeping your calories intake below what you burn you will loose weight. However if you stop eating all together or just eat a minimal number of calories your body will go into starvation mode and you will not loose weight. Your metabolism will slow and you will find yourself tired and unable to focus. Trust me, I've tried it and it's not fun. Plus when you start eating again, your body will take some time to adjust so any weight you may have lost will be put back on in a hurry. Typical yo-yo diet. You have to eat, breathe, and move.
  • CHhbi
    CHhbi Posts: 8
    Options
    Not quite true. Men do produce a small amount of estrogen, just as women can produce a small amount of testosterone. Although the amounts are very small and counteracted by the amount of the primary hormones each gender produces. Also men who over produce testosterone will have the excess converted into estrogen, however it's usually just flushed out of the system. This is also why athletes who take steroids or other testosterone based drugs will sometimes have after effects which produce secondary female characteristics such as breast as the excess can not be flushed out before it starts acting on his body.
  • dmenchac
    dmenchac Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    I couldn't imagine only eating 700 a day. I just had 700 for lunch......
  • Wonderob
    Wonderob Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    I couldn't imagine only eating 700 a day. I just had 700 for lunch......

Me too - I have 700 calorie snacks!

I'm currently eating 3000 calories a day and I need to up this as I'm on a calorie surplus still and don't want to be!

Have to admire those that are disciplined enough to live off 1000 calories a day - I know how hard it is
  • midas1022
    midas1022 Posts: 151
    Options
    starvation mode is a myth unless your not eating any calories. If you want to go into ketosis 60 carbs per day is way too much. People on weight watchers stall out many times because they are cheating on their diets and are too embarrassed to tell anyone. If you want to lose weight as a rule of thumb you can take your weight x8 and that should be your calories per day for a 1-2lb loss per week. This of course is if your an average person. Don't forget to recalculate your calories when you lose weight.