How important is it to "eat clean"

Options

Replies

• BigT555
    BigT555 Posts: 2,068 Member
    Options
    calories in vs calories out for weight loss, everything else is for general health. if you eat 500 cals of candy vs 500 cals of chicken and broccoli you would lose the same amount of weight, but the chicken and broccoli will be more filling and give you more nutrients

^^ this.

If it is just about weightloss you can eat anything, if you want to do something for your health it is important.
    Stef.

Except this is completely false because if you ate nothing but candy you'd eventually die of nutritional deficiencies within a few months to a year. Not to mention that obesity has been linked to malnutrition and calories from refined sugar are nutrient void. And that even one soda a day raises diabetes risk by around 20%.
    thats why i said everything else is for general health. nobody here is promoting a diet of pure candy, everything in my first post is completely true.
  • zoodocgirl
    zoodocgirl Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Why don't you just try mindful eating and pay attention to how you FEEL after eating certain things and then you'll know what's important for you and what isn't.

Eleventy billion people say they feel "better" eliminating grains.
    I just feel hungry and cranky when I do that. So I eat grains and I feel just fine, despite the fact that according to the gospel of the internet, they aren't currently considered "clean".

When I drink liquid milk, a medium-sized nuclear war happens in my stomach, so I avoid it. Not because it isn't "clean" but because I'm lactose intolerant.

I know a lot of "clean" eaters who still drink beer, frequently. Hops gives me a migraine. I learned this by carefully paying attention to what I was eating when I got a headache, and doing some elimination trials. But I would never presume to suggest that other people eat the way I do or don't eat.

Don't worry so much about what the "rules" are. Eat stuff, write it down, pay attention to how you feel immediately, a few hours later, the next day. Recognize patterns. Adjust.
  • itodd4019
    itodd4019 Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    I don't want any vegetables, thank you. I paid for the cow to eat them for me.
    Doug Coupland

;D

HAHAHQAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!

that's great
  • _John_
    _John_ Posts: 8,642 Member
    Options
    IN...for ridiculous hypotheticals
  • BigT555
    Options

Except there's no mention that it only holds true for short-term. Insulin resistance will effect energy utilization and can therefore cause reductions in weight loss.

Reference:

http://care.diabetesjournals.org/content/10/5/563.full.pdf
    that article is for diabetes type 2 patients, which is a separate case entirely.

when you start talking about insulin resistance in any form things get really mucky since it differs so much from one person to another, but generally speaking it wont have a great effect on weight loss unless your eating a ridiculous amount of sugar on a daily basis
  • SugaryLynx
    SugaryLynx Posts: 2,640 Member
    Options
    I just like food.
  • itodd4019
    itodd4019 Posts: 340 Member
    Options

Except there's no mention that it only holds true for short-term. Insulin resistance will effect energy utilization and can therefore cause reductions in weight loss.

Reference:

that article is for diabetes type 2 patients, which is a separate case entirely.

when you start talking about insulin resistance in any form things get really mucky since it differs so much from one person to another, but generally speaking it wont have a great effect on weight loss unless your eating a ridiculous amount of sugar on a daily basis

Or drinking you A&& off.

I think many of these posts re disquises for drinkers.

SO- if you are drinking your calories, it's really hard to keep an honest measure of cals in vs out

just my .02
  • conqueringsquidlette
    conqueringsquidlette Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    One of these days they'll figure out how to inject beer with a perfect blend of nutrition and we'll never have to eat healthy things ever again.
  • dayone987
    dayone987 Posts: 645 Member
    Options
    Just because something is low in calories/fat doesn't mean it is inherently healthy.

This.

If you mean 300 calories of a sandwhich is "better" for you in the sense that you'll lose weight faster, that is true. Losing weight is all about calories in vs calories out. Overall health is not. You could lose weight on 1200 calories of ice cream a day. Is it healthy? No.
    http://www.geekosystem.com/twinkie-diet/

I cannot believe the number of people that reference this diet in the MFP forums...

I've personally analyzed Prof. Haub's results and spoken with him about the experiments. First off the "Twinkie Diet" is a misnomer that was given by the media to hype the story. If you actually look at his food logs only about 30% of his calories came from sweets/desserts. Prof. Haub also ate a couple servings of fruit and vegetables every day to include a large variety over the course of the experiment - which is more than the average American consumes. He also took multivitamins, drank caffeine, and consumed protein powders. The diet was far from a "Twinkie Diet" and actually a step above the average American diet.

Additionally Prof Haub never got blood work done at the end of the experiment to ascertain health impact from this diet - kind of a big deal. And even bigger of a deal Prof Haub doesn't recommend anyone do this diet. All he wanted to do was prove that calories was the short term drive to weight loss and you could lose weight with a far from optimal diet.

Whenever I have see the Twinkie diet referenced on MFP, it generally is to emphasize the point that weight loss happens when CI< CO
    I can't recall anyone here ever saying it was the healthiest way to lose weight.
  • kittyhorn
    kittyhorn Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I prefer eating clean but it's a personal preference. I feel healthier eating clean and perform better with work and in the gym. Moderation is key.
  • endermako
    endermako Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    The way I feel when I eat clean is completely different than if I had mcdonalds. I feel lighter and have more energy but I still feel satisfied. With mcdonalds i ate it. Felt bloated and gassy, and sometimes even light headed and dizzy and I would be hungry very soon afterwards. I choose to eat Fairly clean because of this. Even my "junk" food is healthy for the most part. I try to eat dark chocolate and desserts with very few ingredients
  • BigT555
    Options

Reference:

How is insulin resistance and Type 2 a separate case? Type 2 is a degree of insulin resistance. That's like saying loosing weight with a 500 calorie deficit is a separate case than losing weight with a 1,000 calorie deficit. In studies it's beneficial to look at the more dramatic results because it emphasizes the results, but things don't go from 0 - 60 instantly so you know somewhere between insulin resistance and Type 2 diabetes measurable impact to weight loss will occur. Not to mention that 35% of the nation is prediabetic.

So no... This is far from a completely separate issue.
    i wasnt comparing insulin resistance to type 2 diabetes, i was comparing people with insulin resistance to people who dont have such issues

any time you talk about someone with a medical issue that effects weight loss it IS a separate case, people with insulin resistance is a special case. their bodies react differently and therefore store fat differently when exposed to excess sugar amounts, so its kinda like comparing apples and oranges.
  • tmauck4472
    tmauck4472 Posts: 1,783 Member
    Options
    I eat as clean as I can, just because I feel it has helped me with cravings. And it's cut my sodium waaaaay down. So now the only sodium I get is what I add instead of adding it on top of what was in my meal to begin with. Figure out if it feels better for you. Some people say it makes no difference, but I think they've never tried it so without trying it you don't know how you feel or how it works for you. BTW I feel better when I don't eat processed foods. Remember that everyone is different, find what works for you. Eat clean if you want, and if you don't want to then don't. I also know that for me this time around, I've eaten cleaner and I've been more motivated and able to keep it off and keep going longer than I ever have before, so it's helped me.
  • tmauck4472
    tmauck4472 Posts: 1,783 Member
    Options
    Why don't you just try mindful eating and pay attention to how you FEEL after eating certain things and then you'll know what's important for you and what isn't.

Eleventy billion people say they feel "better" eliminating grains.
    I just feel hungry and cranky when I do that. So I eat grains and I feel just fine, despite the fact that according to the gospel of the internet, they aren't currently considered "clean".

When I drink liquid milk, a medium-sized nuclear war happens in my stomach, so I avoid it. Not because it isn't "clean" but because I'm lactose intolerant.

I know a lot of "clean" eaters who still drink beer, frequently. Hops gives me a migraine. I learned this by carefully paying attention to what I was eating when I got a headache, and doing some elimination trials. But I would never presume to suggest that other people eat the way I do or don't eat.

Don't worry so much about what the "rules" are. Eat stuff, write it down, pay attention to how you feel immediately, a few hours later, the next day. Recognize patterns. Adjust.

^THIS
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    Not very. Hit your calorie goals. Pay attention to macro and micro nutrients. Try to eat "mostly" whole foods. Profit.
  • in_the_stars
    in_the_stars Posts: 1,395 Member
    Options
    i wasnt comparing insulin resistance to type 2 diabetes, i was comparing people with insulin resistance to people who dont have such issues

any time you talk about someone with a medical issue that effects weight loss it IS a separate case, people with insulin resistance is a special case. their bodies react differently and therefore store fat differently when exposed to excess sugar amounts, so its kinda like comparing apples and oranges.

Again, 35% of the American public is prediabetic so it already applies to a large portion of people trying to lose weight. Additionally eating refined sugar causes insulin resistance which is my big overall point. That's why you can't blindly say that eating a 25% of your calories from refined sugar (what the average American does) will produce the same results because it's likely this diet if continued will at minimum lead to increased insulin resistance.

Might be that if they were not overweight they would not be diabetic?