Co-worker looks anorexic. Help with ideas please.

Options

Replies

• BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    Different people have different ideas of what's considered 'anorexic'. Unless there are clear health issues being displayed, you can't assume somebody has it. Even if they're tiny.

A couple of people have wondered if I'm anorexic before (as well as a lot of people stating that I'm too skinny and need to eat more). My BF is like 12%(ish). Something I have noticed is that every single one of these people have been rather overweight. Makes me wonder whether a lot of people just automatically view anyone that's significantly thinner then them as anorexic.

That's an intriguing observation. From personal experience, two of my sisters never ate much food growing up, and I remember one of them fainting a lot, from undereating.

And this may be why you have this issue. The person that accused me of bulimia (I have never been bulimic, but have always been a hearty eater and small) had sisters that struggled with eating disorders. So, she projected her own unhealed issues onto other people.
  • ravenmiss
    ravenmiss Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    Great advice everyone. Thank you :)

We are a very close circle of people at work and it is not uncommon to behave like friends more than co workers. I just want to be proffesional. I'll just mind my own business and try an be supportive instead of giving advice. Always trying to better myself.

You have responded very well to the advice in the thread. :flowerforyou:

"Very well" doesn't describe it. More like incredible and gracious in light of the pile-on responses she got. I am seriously impressed with her tolerance and patience.

Agreed, I think the OP has handled this very well.

Not everyone knows how to function perfectly in social/work situations, asking advice is great, taking it on board in a calm manner is wonderful. Good answers have been given also.

Kudos.
  • jmv7117
    jmv7117 Posts: 891 Member
    Options
    One of my co-workers (a super nice person), looks way to skinny to me. He sais she eats burgers every day, but I am not sure how many of them. I understand that is none of my business but two days ago she was talking about how she was trying to get in shape and, she is doing stairs now with weight on her ankles, and running more. I told her if anything she probably should just lift and not do any cardio as she does not look like she needs it. I was afraid of saying anything else because I understand that it is tricky. I just could not support her decision on cardio.

Have any of you ever found themselves in this situation? Can I help in any way? I hope I can, or at least not make the situation worse. Thank you in advance for all your feedback.

You are right, it is none of your business. Unless she asks for your help or advice, mind your own.
  • JTick
    JTick Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options
    I have to ask... how would you feel if a coworker said you were anorexic but you weren't?

I don't know! I never made any comments about her figure except for when I told her she seems that weight training would benefit her more than cardio. I also do not asume she is anorexic.

Titles thread "coworker looks anorexic".
  • Barbellarella_
    Barbellarella_ Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    Great advice everyone. Thank you :)

We are a very close circle of people at work and it is not uncommon to behave like friends more than co workers. I just want to be proffesional. I'll just mind my own business and try an be supportive instead of giving advice. Always trying to better myself.

You have responded very well to the advice in the thread. :flowerforyou:

"Very well" doesn't describe it. More like incredible and gracious in light of the pile-on responses she got. I am seriously impressed with her tolerance and patience.
    x infinity
  • _Resolve_
    _Resolve_ Posts: 735 Member
    Options
    How about everyone stops pretending to be experts on other peoples lives.

That might work.
  • Galatea_Stone
    Galatea_Stone Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    Seems most people are still missing the part where OP said she wasn't going to get involved. No need to keep telling her she's wrong when she agrees and is dropping the issue.
  • caesar164
    caesar164 Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    Worry about yourself and your family. At work, you should be working not worrying about others.
  • IpuffyheartHeelsinthegym
    IpuffyheartHeelsinthegym Posts: 5,573 Member
    Options
    I have to ask... how would you feel if a coworker said you were anorexic but you weren't?

I don't know! I never made any comments about her figure except for when I told her she seems that weight training would benefit her more than cardio. I also do not asume she is anorexic.

no, you just said she LOOKS anorexic.
  • cip1
    cip1 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Some of you are so rude!
    'Is this for real? Well - I'd tell you to shove it up your *kitten*'.

Have you ever worried about someone being in trouble and wondering if you can help? Because it surely sounds like all the rude voices belong to the people who mind their own bums, yes and... don't give a heck about people they like!

The OP is not trying to preach his co-worker, the OP is simply concerned about someone he likes!

OP - not much you can do. If you are friendly enough with her, you can take her to the gym, for a session of weight lifting. Who knows - she might decide she likes this routing and adds it to her regime. Apart from that - it is sadly her choice and if she has ED, she will have to find the way out herself. The only thing others can do, is to watch the person they like carefully and help her if it looks like she needs it/is looking for it/ ok to receive that help (it certainly helps that you are concerned and not selfishly MYOB only!).
  • patriciapowerswilliamson
    Options
    Wow, people are rude on here, this person was asking for advice not to be e-beetoch sl*pped.

My .02, is the similar. Just keep your thoughts to yourself, unless she asks for your help you shouldn't discuss her weight or eating habits with her.

All the best
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    you can't tell by looking at someone whether they're anorexic or not.

you don't know what she's eating... she says she eats burgers and you don't believe her... really?? you can tell if someone eats burgers by looking at them?

also, everyone should work out and try to get/stay in shape, exercise is for health, it helps with losing fat, but it's not healthy to be sedentary and everyone should do some kind of exercise/physical activity (barring any medical issues that make it inadvisable) - a lot of people in the healthy BMI range are actually carrying too much fat, because they're sedentary and eat a poor diet. They might not look fat in clothes but they still need to get fit and improve their body fat percentage.

Anyway, my advice is to not give advice, and also not to make assumptions.
    Options
    Some of you are so rude!
    'Is this for real? Well - I'd tell you to shove it up your *kitten*'.

Have you ever worried about someone being in trouble and wondering if you can help? Because it surely sounds like all the rude voices belong to the people who mind their own bums, yes and... don't give a heck about people they like!

The OP is not trying to preach his co-worker, the OP is simply concerned about someone he likes!

OP - not much you can do. If you are friendly enough with her, you can take her to the gym, for a session of weight lifting. Who knows - she might decide she likes this routing and adds it to her regime. Apart from that - it is sadly her choice and if she has ED, she will have to find the way out herself. The only thing others can do, is to watch the person they like carefully and help her if it looks like she needs it/is looking for it/ ok to receive that help (it certainly helps that you are concerned and not selfishly MYOB only!).

No, what is rude is to assume someone is anorexic and ask how to help her, when she has not asked for help. That is rude. I've been his co-worker and was acitvely gaining weight in a healthy manner. I'm trying to help the OP not offend his/her co-worker by sticking his/her foot in their mouth with tips that were not asked for, when she may or may not be anorexic and may be working to gain weight on her own, in a healthy manner.
  • BinaryPulsar
    Options
    I just have to say that I did laugh a little when the op said that she says she eats burgers, but wasn't sure how many. Like she is supposed to order three burgers at a time. Sorry, just made me laugh.
  • mank32
    mank32 Posts: 1,323 Member
    Options
    A couple of people have wondered if I'm anorexic before (as well as a lot of people stating that I'm too skinny and need to eat more).

+ 1
    Makes me wonder whether a lot of people just automatically view anyone that's significantly thinner then them as anorexic.

i knew i wouldn't have to search long to find my story typed out for me by someone else. MFP is great for that, even for the minority of gainers. :flowerforyou:

looks deceive.
  • Limath
    Limath Posts: 89 Member
    Options

Edit: Btw, my brother is super skinny and tall. He's been this way his entire life. I can't take him to any buffet because he never stops eating. Me? I look at a brownie and I gained an extra thigh. Don't be so quick to judge.

I agree with most...MYOB. I immediately thought of my son when I read this. He is 6' tall, and weighs about 140 lbs. He eats anything and everything he wants, and can't gain weight. He's very self conscious about being too thin. Everyone is different, you can't assume.
  • cip1
    cip1 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I kind of don't see anything rude in wondering if the person is hurting themselves with too much cardio. Having ED is a first thing that springs to ones mind these days (in the past it probably would be cancer). This is not rude, this is a sign of concern. OP just wonders and OP might be wrong... or right. The said person might be taking hormones, she might have a super fast metabolism, she might struggle with IBS, but she also might be overexercising & under-eating. And OP likes the person and so is concerned.

What would be rude - OP gossiping with other co-workers as to if the described person is anorexic.Yes - rude indeed. It would be rude if OP started suggesting to the person described 'here, have a sandwich, you look like you haven't eaten for a week' be it in private or (very rude) in front of everyone. As far as I am aware - OP hasn't done either and is not planning to.

What OP seems to be doing is making sure that if there is anything they can do to help - they will. If the help is actually needed, because OP also takes into account - that there might be no need for it at all, that the problem might be something completely different.

Really no need to bash OP on the head for that - and some replies were a lot harsher or (wait for it, because it's pretty ironic) ruder, then the OP actually being concerned an expressing thing as simple as a concern.
    Options
    I kind of don't see anything rude in wondering if the person is hurting themselves with too much cardio. Having ED is a first thing that springs to ones mind these days (in the past it probably would be cancer). This is not rude, this is a sign of concern. OP just wonders and OP might be wrong... or right. The said person might be taking hormones, she might have a super fast metabolism, she might struggle with IBS, but she also might be overexercising & under-eating. And OP likes the person and so is concerned.

What would be rude - OP gossiping with other co-workers as to if the described person is anorexic.Yes - rude indeed. It would be rude if OP started suggesting to the person described 'here, have a sandwich, you look like you haven't eaten for a week' be it in private or (very rude) in front of everyone. As far as I am aware - OP hasn't done either and is not planning to.

What OP seems to be doing is making sure that if there is anything they can do to help - they will. If the help is actually needed, because OP also takes into account - that there might be no need for it at all, that the problem might be something completely different.

Really no need to bash OP on the head for that - and some replies were a lot harsher or (wait for it, because it's pretty ironic) ruder, then the OP actually being concerned an expressing thing as simple as a concern.

I didn't read all of the replies, but I know I not once bashed the OP. I said, and most replies I read said, if she did not ask for help, do not freely give it. That is not bashing. That is giving advice where it was asked for.
  • BinaryPulsar
    Options
    On internet forums people read a post and have a reply. That can end up in piling on. It just happens. It helps to understand and recognize that. And not everyone has been rude. I had an initial reply. Then saw the continued responses. I made sure to express to the op that they were responding well.

I sort of wonder how this would go if the OP had said that they had a co-worker that looks obese, but talks about wanting to go to the bakery.

Also, we don't know what the person looks like, so we certainly don't feel comfortable thinking she could look anorexic.
  • MsLaToya30
    MsLaToya30 Posts: 29
    Options
    How about just leave her alone and let her make her own decisions about how she chooses to live her life?

Right!