How important is it to "eat clean"

Options

Replies

• MysteriousDreamer
    MysteriousDreamer Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Just because something is low in calories/fat doesn't mean it is inherently healthy.

I completely agree! I'd rather eat 100-150 calories in nuts then 100 calorie snack packs.
  • Meerataila
    Meerataila Posts: 1,885 Member
    Options
    Eat what makes you feel good. Pay close attention to what this actually means. Personally I LOVE oreos and pretzel M&Ms but I don't ever eat them because I can't each just a few, and they make my stomach hurt, my head hurt, and I break out like crazy. So at the end of the day, it isn't worth it to me. Overall health should be a better goal than simply weight loss imo. You can be thin and unhealthy, so what really is the point? Don't be so vain as to think looks are all that matter. If you want to live a long, fulfilling life, choose quality foods. This does not mean you can't have treats, but focus the bulk of your calories as whole, unprocessed foods that make you feel good. Put it this way, would you put cheap low octane fuel in a Ferrari? No. Why? Because to keep a great machine running great, you have to input equally high quality foods.

At the end of the day, it is your body, your health, and your life. Do what fulfills you the most.

Sign me up for learning to treat my body like a Ferrari. I've treated it like a rental minivan for too long.
  • MysteriousDreamer
    Options
    To me I try to eat clean. I try and keep my diet mostly fresh, close to nature, minimised processed foods.

I never use diet foods, because I don't believe they are healthy.

I love how my body, my mood, my energy feels when I have a fresh diet.

I'm not sure why we are complicating it? Am I missing something?
  • jmv7117
    jmv7117 Posts: 891 Member
    Options
    To me I try to eat clean. I try and keep my diet mostly fresh, close to nature, minimised processed foods.

Only that a large segment of MFP members participating in the forums are dead set against clean eating...
  • MysteriousDreamer
    Options

Only that a large segment of MFP members participating in the forums are dead set against clean eating...

Can I ask why? Just curious that's all. :-) I simply want a healthy diet
  • missiontofitness
    missiontofitness Posts: 4,074 Member
    Options
    I'd say eating clean is important. Not washing your produce may put you at risk for one of those salmonella/ect outbreaks that have been in the news.
  • FunkyTobias
    FunkyTobias Posts: 1,776 Member
    Options

http://www.wannabebig.com/diet-and-nutrition/the-dirt-on-clean-eating/
  • MysteriousDreamer
    Options

http://www.wannabebig.com/diet-and-nutrition/the-dirt-on-clean-eating/

To me a clean diet is eating as close to nature as possible :-)
  • daynerz
    daynerz Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    Listen to your body is the most natural and optimal method.

I've learned to pay attention to how it all makes me feel. Ex. Beer, I've noticed if I drink not to get drunk, drinking for me is ok.
    The problem is, I drink more than what my body desires, and that's when dry mouth, or fast fatigue comes. I don't like those symptoms so I drastically cut my drinking lifestyle in half. I only drink now when there are social outtings.
    My 2-4 beers a night habit is gone because now I actually care about how it has been making me feel.

I also find carbs fog my brain. I have much clarity consuming reasonable amounts of greens and proteins.
  • MysteriousDreamer
    Options
    Listen to your body is the most natural and optimal method.

I've learned to pay attention to how it all makes me feel. Ex. Beer, I've noticed if I drink not to get drunk, drinking for me is ok.
    The problem is, I drink more than what my body desires, and that's when dry mouth, or fast fatigue comes. I don't like those symptoms so I drastically cut my drinking lifestyle in half. I only drink now when there are social outtings.
    My 2-4 beers a night habit is gone because now I actually care about how it has been making me feel.

I also find carbs fog my brain. I have much clarity consuming reasonable amounts of greens and proteins.

Completely agree
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options

What does that mean?

Unwashed freshly picked roots? Insects? Uncooked?

Unfiltered water?

?
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options

For that to be the case, someone would have to provide a meaningful definition of "clean eating" that people actually agree on.

Hasn't happened yet...not holding my breath.

:drinker:
  • tinkbaby101
    tinkbaby101 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    What IS clean eating?

I've seen several references to cookies and cake as examples of "dirty" or "not clean" foods. What makes them less clean than, say, an apple, all covered in its wax and pesticides? What if I used all natural, organic ingredients to make my own cake? Does that make it magically clean?

Is it just a matter of nutrient density versus caloric value?
  • MysteriousDreamer
    Options

What does that mean?

Unwashed freshly picked roots? Insects? Uncooked?

Unfiltered water?

?

I wash my fruits and vegetables, because it is common sense to.

I try to minimise packaged foods.
  • MysteriousDreamer
    Options
    What I TRY to follow:

Eat Lots Of Plants – Eat food that is straight from nature. (Some people say “as close to the way nature made it as possible”. But I think that leaves too much wiggle room – in my humble opinion) Eat mostly foods that are off a tree, bush, plant or vine, and you’ve pretty much got it covered. The idea is to stay away from anything that humans (food corporations) have altered in any way.

Include Meats - Eat meats that are whole and straight from the butcher. Don’t buy pre-packaged meat products because you never know what’s in them. When possible, buy whole meats and grind them yourself. You’d be surprised what’s in ground turkey meat! You can also select a few turkey breasts and ask that the butcher grind them for you. Many butchers are more than willing to accommodate.

Enjoy Grains - Eat grains that are still complete and haven’t been broken down into “glue”. Stick to brown rice, whole wheat and other whole grains.(For a list of foods to stock your pantry with, check out this list.)
    Read Labels I don’t know how many breads I’ve picked up at the store that say they are whole grain. But when I take a look at the ingredient list, white flour is the second ingredient after whole wheat flour!

Eat Fewer Ingredients. Try not to purchase foods that have more than 3-6 ingredients in the ingredient list. And be sure you recognize each and every ingredient. If you find a “mystery ingredient” such as “spices”, contact the company! Ask them what they consider to be spices. If it’s anything other than honest-to-goodness herbs and spices, avoid it! And remember, if you can’t pronounce it, it probably shouldn’t go into your body.

Eat 5-6 small meals per day. This may seem like a lot at first. But remember, you are eating smaller portions. If you really have a hard time with this, prepare your regular three meals and a snack for the day, and divide lunch and dinner in half. You’ve instantly got 6 small meals!
  • MysteriousDreamer
    Options
    I think we need to support each other and not fight over whose diet is correct or not.

We all feel better on different diets, there is no clear cut answer.

Eating like this is when I feel at my best. So whatever you do, I hope it's the best for you.

My last post on this :-)
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options

Personally, I'm not against "clean eating" for others, so long as they aren't claiming it's the only way to have a healthy diet. I do see a decent amount of concern on the boards that eating ANY of whatever the unclean foods in question are (no "clean" eaters seem to agree) will either ruin your health or sabotage weight loss, and that particular claim is false, whether the food is ice cream or grains or yogurt and frozen veggies or a Lean Cuisine.

What bothers me is the constant false dichotomy drawn by some self-proclaimed "clean eaters" where one is either a "clean eatier" or does not care about health. You can see it in this thread. Most people here who reject the "clean eating" assertion that it is better to eliminate foods you like--whether added sugar or grains or the ill-defined processed foods, etc. (there are endless contradictory varieties foods that don't make the clean cut, depending on who is making the claims) do not in fact find health unimportant and probably have quite healthy diets. I do not believe that aspiring to never have some homemade pie ever again is inherently more healthy. To me, moderation is a healthier attitude--at least for me. For others, whatever. I've never said that people can't have reasons for cutting out foods. It's just the claim that this is "clean" and other ways of eating not or that it's the only way to eat healthy that I object to.

And for the record, if you mostly eat "clean," and don't aspire to eliminate non-clean foods, however you define them, I don't think you are actually a "clean eater." Lots of people who don't so define try to eat mostly whole, nutrient dense foods. It's more an issue of whether eating an occasional cupcake or yogurt (processed, you know) is cheating or whether you see it as an acceptable part of an overall healthy diet. For me, the latter, for clean eaters, no, elimination is the goal. Or at least that's the only difference anyone has been able to explain that makes any sense.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    What IS clean eating?

I've seen several references to cookies and cake as examples of "dirty" or "not clean" foods. What makes them less clean than, say, an apple, all covered in its wax and pesticides? What if I used all natural, organic ingredients to make my own cake? Does that make it magically clean?

Is it just a matter of nutrient density versus caloric value?

This has never really been explained when I've asked, but at least some seem to consider the use of sugar or flour (or white flour) inherently unclean. I"m sure there are some "clean" eaters who have an issue with butter too.
  • MysteriousDreamer
    Options
    Lots of people who don't so define try to eat mostly whole, nutrient dense foods. It's more an issue of whether eating an occasional cupcake or yogurt (processed, you know) is cheating or whether you see it as an acceptable part of an overall healthy diet. For me, the latter, for clean eaters, no, elimination is the goal. Or at least that's the only difference anyone has been able to explain that makes any sense.

I think if we all stopped labelling ourselves there wouldn't so many silly debates. Plus labels are for jars not people.

If I am out and want a cupcake I will eat one, or a little chocolate, or even ordering a pizza!

I personally want my main diet to be foods that are whole and simple.
  • fatcity66
    fatcity66 Posts: 1,544 Member
    Options
    screw nutritional value and just eat whatever the eff you want, always, as long as you count calories!

Who has said this?

Really?? I have heard this sooo many times on MFP.