How do you deal with working out in the heat?

Options
ximenia
ximenia Posts: 62 Member
Seriously, it's been at least 80 degrees out the last few days, my gym doesn't have AC, just some fans and my condo has central air but not in the 2 rooms that I can use to work out so it's really hot all the time. I attempted to do some kickboxing at home and within 10 minutes I felt like I was going to die of heatstroke, I made sure I was hydrated etc. How do you do it?

Replies

• stevesilk
    stevesilk Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    You have to build up to it. Runners are recommended to lower their speed for every 10 degree rise in temp. Playing any strenuous sport you'l find the same thing. If you have a HRM, keep an eye to stay in your zone, and work out through your workout with that as your guideline. Slow down and drink more before, during AND after. Give yourself some grace early and you will find that you'll start to adjust to the hotter environment.
  • mantium999
    mantium999 Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    It was approaching 110 here last week. The only solution I have to offer is get up early, workout late, or just push through it with plenty of water. Was 102 when I went for a short 2 mile run. Not my smartest moment.
  • thavoice
    thavoice Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    More H20.
    Less intense/shorter workout.
    Slower run.

I like to PT in the heat of the day, but there are times I do it early or late in the evenings to get a little better workout in when its cooler out.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    I get up and get it done as early as possible before it gets too hot. Or go late at night if that works better for you. And as others said, tone down the intensity. I won't run if it's over 75 degrees but I can still go for a nice long walk with a big bottle of water and/or some $ in my pocket so I can stop for water/gatorade along the way.

If you're home, exercise in your skivvies with a fan blowing on you. if you need to stop and take breaks, no biggee, that's what pause was made for.

Also, you can't just hydrate when you're hot and thirsty, you need to stay well hydrated all the time. I learned this from a buddy of my Hubby's who was stationed in the Middle East a few years ago. They drank a ton of water but would really load up the day before a major hike in the heat.
  • LoneWolf_70
    LoneWolf_70 Posts: 1,151 Member
    Options
    heat is good!
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options
    Live in England. Never have the problem.
  • MikeInAZ
    MikeInAZ Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    80!! HAHAHA!! I was Mt Biking in 95 degree weather on Sunday! (I live in Phoenix, the jump off point to Hell). Start early, really early (like crack of dawn). The hottest part of the day is actually about 4pm, so you're better off in the AM than in the evening.

Drink a lot of water. Drink water before you begin to pre-hydrate yourself. Drink while you exercise, and after. You'll be fine! 80 degrees. Please. We keep our house at 80 in the summer!
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    I go into an air conditioned gym ;-)
  • JeffInJax
    JeffInJax Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    Does your condo have a pool? Change the type of workout, go from jogging to swimming laps. The heat is tough to deal with though and even the most conditioned athletes can feel light headed and nauseas from the fun combination of heat and hard work.
  • bwogilvie
    bwogilvie Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    Losing the Storm Trooper outfit would help.

Seriously, though, you work up to it. I used to run in Chicago along the lakeshore on 95-degree days, but I had been gradually building up to long runs in the heat, and I dialed down the intensity. If you're in Boston, as your profile says, getting up early and working out in the morning is a good idea; it's still getting cool at night here in Massachusetts.

It's a good idea to stay hydrated, but current thinking is shifting back toward the idea that you should drink only when you're thirsty, to avoid the risk of hyponatremia. See this article:
    http://www.nytimes.com/2005/10/20/sports/sportsspecial/20marathon.html
  • ximenia
    ximenia Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Does your condo have a pool? Change the type of workout, go from jogging to swimming laps. The heat is tough to deal with though and even the most conditioned athletes can feel light headed and nauseas from the fun combination of heat and hard work.

Haha I wish, nope no pools around me.
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    It's 108º here today, forecast is 103º for tomorrow - this morning was weights in the house at 6am with fans and the A/C on. Tomorrow is a run day and you can be sure I'll have my butt out the door by 5:30am. And I tend to cut my mileage during the summer months when it's this hot - the heat zaps my pace and endurance, so I just back off a bit. Plenty of water all day, every day, as well.
  • AndiGirl70
    AndiGirl70 Posts: 542 Member
    Options
    A/C in gym or early mornings outside
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    80!! HAHAHA!! I was Mt Biking in 95 degree weather on Sunday! (I live in Phoenix, the jump off point to Hell). Start early, really early (like crack of dawn). The hottest part of the day is actually about 4pm, so you're better off in the AM than in the evening.

Drink a lot of water. Drink water before you begin to pre-hydrate yourself. Drink while you exercise, and after. You'll be fine! 80 degrees. Please. We keep our house at 80 in the summer!
    I second this, including the derisive laughter and the thermostat setting. :laugh: I'm in Tucson which is just a small step from Mike's jump-off point to Hell. It's been triple digits here for a few weeks already and that's pretty much all we have to look forward to for the next few months. This time of year, we're lucky if the temperature just before dawn is below 75°. We learn to exercise in the heat and to stay hydrated 24 hours per day, 7 days a week.

One trick I learned was to drench my technical shirt in water before I go outside for a run. I wring it out just enough so it's not dripping. The evaporative cooling really helps. When the shirt starts to dry off, I take another lap near the house and re-wet it. If you're using a big fan this could really help you, too. If you don't have air blowing against you, though, it's not likely to help.

Good luck!
  • KristiRTT
    KristiRTT Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    Living in Upstate NY I am accustomed to and frequently run in sub-zero temps, so heat is really killer for me. Sunday I ran my first marathon in Lake Placid NY where it reached 80 during the race! I was definitely undertrained for the heat. I needed Gatorade to drink and water to pour over my head at very aid station, but I survived!! Keeping yourself hydrated in the heat is key, and that starts a few days before an event, not the morning of!
  • PeteWhoLikesToRunAlot
    PeteWhoLikesToRunAlot Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    You've got to acclimate to it. Which means you've gotta embrace the suck and just do it. Good news is if you keep it up with the gradually increasing temps, it'll be a quicker acclimation rather than if you try to jump from being acclimated to a comfy of 60, to 90 degrees. Good luck.
  • Carrieendar
    Carrieendar Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    Not sure if this would work with the workouts you do, but I use compression sleeves on my arms and calves, but I wet them and put ice them (sometimes under my hat as well) when it gets to be really really hot n humid around here. that keeps me a lot cooler when running. Also, drink a ice slushie before the workout to lower your core temp...this is a trick matt fitzgerald recommends for runners; itis currently being studied as a method of improving race times in hot weather and so far the data that has come out has pointed to it working.
  • KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options

I don't know where abouts you live but it's been pretty warm and very humid where I am this week.

I workout at home so I use a big fan, make sure I have plenty of water available, and a towel close at hand. If the humid weather continues I am considering getting a gym membership for a few months, somewhere with aircon.
  • GillianMcK
    GillianMcK Posts: 401 Member
    Options

I was going to suggest Scotland, do you remember last summer when Heathrow hit 30C!!!
  • jtm4210
    jtm4210 Posts: 108 Member
    Options

Well, you say this but I went out for a post-5pm run at the weekend and could only make it a couple of miles, I was absolutely baking! And I had been hydrated all day (must have had at least 3 litres of water already!), hadn't eaten anything heavy, not tired or anything... just unbelievably hot. In not-usually-sunny Norfolk.

I'm sticking to my early-morning runs this week, but going to try for some very gentle afternoon runs if this lovely weather continues. I don't want to wish the sun away!