Is it possible to lose 50 lbs in 6 Months?

Options
2»

Replies

• Veil5577
    Veil5577 Posts: 868 Member
    Options
    That is the same goal I am aiming for. I'm not measuring in weight, though, I'm going by pant size.

All I can tell you is that I have been sticking to a calorie deficit almost constantly and it is definitely working. I can already see a change. I am physically unable to exercise so a calorie deficit is the only way I can go.
  • yellowlemoned
    yellowlemoned Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    Is it possible? Yes, it is absolutely possible. Is it recommendable? Not so much, and I'll tell you why. First and foremost, after you hit your goal and go back to eating a normal caloric intake your body won't know how to process the extra calories correctly and you're likely to gain a large portion of that weight back in less than half the time. Secondly, by losing weight that quickly you're body, specifically your skin, won't be able to readjust fast enough. You will probably have quite a bit of loose skin left afterwards. That skin can take months or even years to go away, and in some instances requires surgery which costs upwards of $8,000 usd to have removed. If you lose weight at a slower more reasonable pace, and work out appropriately, you may still have some loose skin (there's no guaranteed way to avoid it) but it will be minimal in comparison. Most people will tell you not to lose more than 2 lbs a week, and that is a great generalization, but if you have over 150 lbs total to lose there is no harm starting out at losing 3-5 lbs a week.

All of that aside, depending on how much you have to lose, and what percentage of your final total weight loss that 50 lbs equates to, it is absolutely possible.
  • siminske
    siminske Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    On March 4th, I was 289 pounds. I weighed my self today, and I am at 248. That is 41 pounds in less than 4 months. My goal is 239 by the 4th of July. I want to be at 225 by the end of the year. I am 6 foot 8, so 225 is a good weight for me. You can do it, just stay with it, and keep track of your food intake.
  • pope66682
    pope66682 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    I lost 43 lbs in a little over 3 months. I was extremely strict on food, basically same meals every day and running 3-5 miles 3-4 times a week. So its probably doable, depending on how serious you are.
  • MadeOfMagic
    MadeOfMagic Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    I lost over 60lbs in under 5 months. It depends on your starting weight and your commitment, but it's possible!
  • bluefox9er
    bluefox9er Posts: 2,917 Member
    Options
    I'm a newbie here and just started my diet yesterday. I was wondering if it's possible to lose 50 lbs in 6 Months? If so please share some stories!

I lost around 60 in just under 6 months. It IS possible, but I wish I had done it more efficiently ( ie. by NOT eating 1,200 calories a day and not touching the 5,000+ exercise calories I burnt each week)
  • Charloo1990
    Charloo1990 Posts: 619 Member
    Options
    It's possible but I don't recommend it. You can lose 2 lbs per week (the do not exceed amount) and lose 48 lbs in that time but it will be strict.

Better plan, shoot for 1 lb per week and aim to lose 24 lbs in 6 months. The change to your diet will not be drastic and you can start incorporating a small amount of exercise and get better used to it.
    I agree with this. I have 42lbs to lose and would rather it come off slowly and stay off.
  • woolfman72
    woolfman72 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I have lost 45lbs since Feb 1st .. so yes it is possible.
  • scrapjen
    scrapjen Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    It's possible ... I did it back in 2006. It was the first time I'd ever really tried to lose weight (I'd put it on over the years with marriage and having five babies). I think it was just a shock to my system that I was suddenly eating better and exercising. I kept it off for a few years, but it gradually crept back on. I actually kept up the activity, but I've never mastered the eating. This second go around (starting a year ago) I did lose 15 pretty quick and easy as soon as I started tracking with MFP, but then it's been slloooooow.
  • futuresize8
    futuresize8 Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    I once lost 30 pounds in two months. I ate very low in calories. I took an appetite suppressant. I walked five miles a day five days a week.

And, when I stopped doing those three things in combination - which weren't sustainable for life - I gained 45 pounds.

Make steady, sustainable changes that you can really live with for the long haul. You won't regret it later!