AM or PM workouts

Replies

• DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    But enough about me, let's talk about you. Which do YOU prefer?
  • LazSommer
    LazSommer Posts: 1,851 Member
    1377665821442.png
  • thepetiterunner
    thepetiterunner Posts: 1,238 Member
    Why not do both? Double days rock!

I prefer the mornings though. It sets up the rest of my day and I feel so productive. The end of my day, I'm beat and usually some other thing has derailed me. Get in and get it done.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    I'm useless in the mornings, I have far more energy and motivation in the afternoons. I find that before I eat in the mornings I'm weak and have no energy, but I'm too lazy to get up, eat, then work out, so I just do it at lunch or after work :)
  • michelleepotter
    michelleepotter Posts: 800 Member
    I like mornings, partly because there's less chance of getting tired or sidetracked and not getting around to working out. But also because I like to walk and run outside, and for a significant portion of the year it's scorchingly hot outside after the sun comes up.

That said, I also do aerobics in the afternoon, just because that's when I had a free spot in my schedule. It's harder to get motivated, but I'm trying to stick with it.
  • MBrothers22
    MBrothers22 Posts: 323 Member
    Well depending on when you work out and when you go to bed, it can make it harder to fall asleep if they are too close together. Awakening your muscles is not what you want when you have to sleep.
  • tanyoshka
    tanyoshka Posts: 50 Member
    I am soooo not a morning person, so most people who know me would be shocked to hear this, but I actually prefer to work out in the morning. I wake up at the crack of dawn, throw on my workout gear and go. It gives me a full hour to wake up without actually having to talk to anyone, and sometimes I'm too tired to care that I'm busting my butt at the gym. There's nothing like walking out of the door with the hardest part of the day behind you.
  • sexymamadraeger
    sexymamadraeger Posts: 239 Member
    I do both, but I do my intense workout and weight lifting in the morning. My kids aren't up yet at 6 AM and I can focus on myself. It's easy to make it a habit too. There's hardly ever a reason not to exercise that early every morning.
  • FoxyLifter
    FoxyLifter Posts: 965 Member
    I prefer after work, especially if I'm lifting weights. I have very little energy just before work (I can barely make it in! :laugh: ). My grip is weak and my endurance is ow. I am much better off doing HIIT/cardio at lunch and weight lifting after work.
  • jobaby894
    jobaby894 Posts: 21 Member
    There is no way I am doing an AM work out; I can hardly get out of bed without pressing snooze 5 times. LOL I do walk on 30 minutes walk on my lunch and then when I get home I workout. :smile:
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    I don't have a preference other than the mornings I have the weight room pretty much to myself at 7 in the morning. The evenings are packed and I have to wait on everything... But I go whenever I can fit it in..... Best of Luck
  • mamarundrc
    mamarundrc Posts: 1,577 Member
    My favorite time is mid day, it is when I have the most energy to put into a workout but given a choice between am and pm I like pm. It is good stress release and I love my sleep and don't want to get up any earlier than I already have to.
  • KitaT92
    KitaT92 Posts: 50 Member
    I prefer a morning workout any day. It keeps you energized throughout the day and when you're done with work you are done for the day.
  • I take when ever I can get. I prefer in the mornings so I can get it over, but I love jogging and riding bike in the evenings.
  • Smirnoff65
    Smirnoff65 Posts: 1,060 Member
    I work nightshift and like to go to the gym straight after work in the mornings so it is am though strictly speaking it is my pm, good workout, 15 minutes in the steam room, shower then home to bed and I sleep like a baby.
  • paymentm
    paymentm Posts: 105 Member
    I go for a 45 minute jog as soon as I wake up. It starts my metabolism for the day and it energizes me. After full day of work, classes, studying and friends there isn't enough time to workout. But I also walk to and from work (50 mins) so basically wherever it can fit in.
  • michelleepotter
    michelleepotter Posts: 800 Member
    I am soooo not a morning person, so most people who know me would be shocked to hear this, but I actually prefer to work out in the morning. I wake up at the crack of dawn, throw on my workout gear and go. It gives me a full hour to wake up without actually having to talk to anyone, and sometimes I'm too tired to care that I'm busting my butt at the gym. There's nothing like walking out of the door with the hardest part of the day behind you.

This is so me! I am not a morning person AT ALL, but anything that I don't really want to do, or have trouble getting motivated to do, I try to do it in the morning and get it out of the way. My husband is the same. He told his friends that it works because by the time he's awake enough to decide that he doesn't want to go for a walk in the morning, he's already halfway down the block. :P

As a bonus, when I go wake my kids up in the morning, I have already been up for three hours and eaten, exercised, and showered, and I'm able to be obnoxiously cheerful and drive them up a wall singing the "Good Morning" song at the top of my lungs. They HATE that. :P
  • EatwellLivehappy
    EatwellLivehappy Posts: 34 Member
    Honestly, it depends what is more sustainable for you in the long run. Personally, I would rather work out before work because by then time I come home from work I am EXHAUSTED. However, some prefer coming home from work, resting, and then working out. Try both and see was is easier for you to maintain in the long run.
  • lborsato1
    lborsato1 Posts: 1,011 Member
    I prefer mornings......very early mornings..... I usually roll out of bed at 4:45am so I can workout and still leave for work before 7am....
    It took some getting used to, but I feel awake, refreshed and ready to face the day after an awesome morning workout....
  • stefaniemazz
    stefaniemazz Posts: 179 Member
    I thought I preferred the AM because it got the workout out of the way. But really it just made me cranky and more tired because I was forcing myself to get up and do a workout when I had nothing to eat and pretty much no engery.

I love doing my workouts around 8 pm, it actually helps me sleep. Right after I take a hot shower, watch a TV show while in bed and I sleep like a baby.