The wrong kind of snacking.

Options

Replies

• rushmama5
    rushmama5 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I snack on nuts, seeds, berries. Otherwise if that's not cutting it its mealtime
  • rushmama5
    Options
    I've started snacking on rinsed chickpeas while preparing dinner. Very satisfying and filling and I find that I don't eat as much at dinner either.

I love this Idea! Good plan. My daughter make homemade hummus together. I don't eat the chips, I don't have cravings so no problem.
  • Nooneknows21
    Nooneknows21 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Chickpeas seems like a popular choice! Will get some, any other ways of having them?

I have heard a mixed review of protein shakes, are they definitely worth it?? I have always been keen to try...
  • bettyjoburdett
    bettyjoburdett Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I eat two apples or a banana in the car on my way home every day. It's generally enough to take the edge off before I get home so I can make better decisions.

good advise
  • eleanorknowles
    Options
    I'm also a teacher, and just like you, barely eat during the day. It is that kind of job isn't it - barely time to stop for breath at lunchtime. Rather than see the problem (that you can't stop eating in the evening), see the positive side - most of the day is sorted in terms of cutting down calories, exactly because you can't eat all day except for a small lunch! All you have to do, is get the early evening sorted, and you've cracked it! Think positive! Like you, I also have cup-a-soups for lunch at school, or pot noodles sometimes instead. This works well for me. In the morning I leave home before 7am which, for me, is too early for breakfast - I just don't feel like it. At actual breakfast time I'm setting up in the classroom. However, I keep sachets of porridge (the nuts and seeds variety) in the staffroom and often make a quick bowlful for breakfast there. This works well for me. To fix the evenings, just plan ahead. Have a large bowl of crunchy veg chopped up for salad, with sweetcorn and cherry tomatoes in there too, and when you get home, eat a cereal-sized bowl of it. Lots of eating, low calories. And apples. And only eat for evening meal what you planned - write it down. A meal that works really well for me is hearty soups - cook up a big pan at the weekend, keep in fridge and will last a few days. DON'T get started on the bread though. I put pearl barley into the soup instead. Remember, you just have to work hard at 'cutting down' for those few hours of the evening, because the rest of the day takes care of itself. Don't give up!!!
  • twinkers88
    twinkers88 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I second that! Attitude is everything. Fitness is more mental than physical. You can do anything if you set your mind to it. If you have a goal in mind - than make that goal be your only option. Anytime we make mulitple options we allow ourselves to fail.
  • bettyjoburdett
    bettyjoburdett Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone,
    I've been using MFP for a while and read these message boards regularly yet never posted!

I have finally started realising that:
    a) I need support!
    b) snacking on the rubbish foods (crisps are my downfall!!!) actually makes me feel like rubbish. But, I can't stop...

As soon as I come home from work (I'm a teacher so can't snack throughout the day or anything) I am starving and it all goes downhill from there. Then I feel psychologically rubbish because I have let myself down.

Can anybody recommend anything I could maybe do? (other than to get a grip!) I want to lose at least 30lbs and know that I'm going to have to find something to curb these cravings and receive some support. It just feels like an impossible task.

Find a whole grain, non sugared cereal and portion it out in baggies for the crispy craving. There is one brand and I can't think of the name right now but it is whole grain, low calorie and CHOCOLATE flavor. YUM:wink:
  • toniRAD
    toniRAD Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    I stopped buying junk food groceries and that has been the best thing I've done, if you don't have it in your house then there's no way you can eat it. (: When you get those cravings when you get home drink a big glass of water, eat fruit, vegetables, have a tablespoon of peanut butter.. Have dinner and then drink another glass of water. It should really help. Also like others have said, you have to mentally change your ways. If you want it bad enough you can make yourself do anything. Once you go a while without eating junk you really do stop wanting it all the time & you'll realize how much better you feel without it. It will get better and easier as long as you do your best!
  • amy8400
    amy8400 Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    Something that has really helped me is buying a boatload of small containers for food on the go. I love crisps too so I weigh them out (usually 14 or 28 grams depending on the serving size I want to go for) and have them ready to go in my pantry. I do that with all kinds of foods--sliced meat, cheese, fruit, nuts, even plain M&Ms. The containers are portable...keep things from being crushed...are easy to eat from...and of course environmentally friendly since there's no packaging involved.

Since taking on this new lifestyle, I find tools and encouragement are the two most important things for me. Having a good kitchen scale, Vitamix blender, chef's knife, pressure cooker, crock pot and lots and lots of glass and plastic containers for food make it easy. Advance planning is key, though. Weekend cooking and prep sessions will make life less hectic during the week.
  • anitamj47
    anitamj47 Posts: 3
    Options
    Hi, I am newbto this and on day two of my new healthy eating regime ( previously managed to get to target and stayed there forbtwo years then piled it all back on in the last 15months).
    I too feel starving hungry when I get home, but am trying to eat an apple and banana in car on way home. Also I keep soda water and lime wedges
    in the kitchen and drink that to stave off the pangs.
    does require willnoower, but it makes you feel great when you resist the rubbish
  • anitamj47
    anitamj47 Posts: 3
    Options
    Hi, I am new to this and on day two of my new healthy eating regime ( previously managed to get to target and stayed there for two years then piled it all back on in the last 15months).
    I too feel starving hungry when I get home, but am trying to eat an apple and banana in car on way home. Also I keep soda water and lime wedges
    in the kitchen and drink that to stave off the pangs.
    does require willpowerr, but it makes you feel great when you resist the rubbish
  • lolalament
    lolalament Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I've found that increasing my protein intake stops me wanting to snack as much.
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,931 Member
    Options
    Slow cooker food! Try starting a 8 or 10 hour slow cooker recipe in the morning and dinner will be waiting for you at home. Just make sure to use a measuring cup to serve yourself since most recipes make big batches. If the timing isn't quite right, try slow cookering as you sleep and just put the food in the fridge in the morning. Then microwave it as soon as you're home.

Try bringing prepackaged foods with you to work. Certain things make less noise than others so you could try those as snacks. Maybe if you allow your students to snack, they won't mind if you snack too. You can still place rules like "quiet snacks only, nothing too fragrant..." etc.
  • rushmama5
    Options
    I keep gala apples in the fridge - crisp and cold - it's the crunch factor that satisfies. The pectin in apples is a natural appetite suppressant. Sometimes I add a spoon of peanut butter.

Then I brush my teeth, drink a bottle of water and GO - anywhere and do anything. Gets the mind of

Great advice! Just a note, if anyone feelsa rush when you eat apples or bananas etc., stick to berries which are lower on the glycemic scale. The sugar"Rush" can happen with very healthy foods too. It must be avoided for weight loss.
  • rushmama5
    Options
    Slow cooker food! Try starting a 8 or 10 hour slow cooker recipe in the morning and dinner will be waiting for you at home. Just make sure to use a measuring cup to serve yourself since most recipes make big batches. If the timing isn't quite right, try slow cookering as you sleep and just put the food in the fridge in the morning. Then microwave it as soon as you're home.

Try bringing prepackaged foods with you to work. Certain things make less noise than others so you could try those as snacks. Maybe if you allow your students to snack, they won't mind if you snack too. You can still place rules like "quiet snacks only, nothing too fragrant..." etc.

I love the slow cooker idea. I've used it for years. There's a site called FIX IT and FORGET IT. Its cool, but watch the calories in her recipes. Also if by pre- packaged you mean stuff you packaged yourself I'm on board. Then it can be fresh, organic optimal in whatever way you need. Do research because unfortunately the food industry is generally not rooting for your success.
  • lilithiummm
    lilithiummm Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I don't know if this has been mentioned yet but try snacking on seaweed, it's delicious and super good for you! It's crispy almost like chips, but good for you as I stated before. Or try a protein bar, they're also better for you and fill you up.
  • denizfindigi
    Options
    slice two apples as thin as chips, put them into the oven and soon you'll have healthy chips : )
    You can even add flavor by making them wait for a while in cinnamon water, lemon and salt water etc.

Also you can prepare it the day before you want to eat them so once you are home they will be waiting for you
  • sarrymerry
    sarrymerry Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    :)
  • sarrymerry
    sarrymerry Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I've become addicted to roasted chickpeas. I roast them, then let sit with lime juice and a spice mix that I grind out of whole chipotle peppers, cumin seed and I add garlic powder, salt and regular chile powder. Smoked paprika is good,too. Roast again for about ten minutes after soaking in the lime juice, just to get them dry and fully browned.
    Tastes a lot like chile and lime corn nuts! But, with fiber, protein and complex carbs and none of the fat, which corn nuts are full of.

this^^ sounds wonderful!! do you use canned chickpeas? I guess I don't even know if they come as dry beans!

I love love love this post, I have been struggling with this very issue lately
  • Persian99
    Persian99 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I used to be of the mentality that I had to save lots of calories for dinner so I could eat properly, but I figured out that the meal at the end of the day should not be the biggest. For me, it's better to get protein and calories in the morning and afternoon, and have the lightest meal at the end of the day. That way I'm not starving by the end of the work day and I'm less likely to make bad food choices. I try to never let myself get starving, because that's when I'm most likely to reach for junk food.