do you leave your diary open?

Options

Replies

• agrafina
    agrafina Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    Think of it this way: am I ashamed that I have a period? No. Its a normal part of being a healthy 35 year old female. But I don't go posting it on Facebook when it comes. No shame, just no need to share.

Well, there's social convention and boundaries around the open discussion of certain bodily functions. No matter how natural and unashamed we are of them.

I'm not sure eating falls into this category.

Social conventions depend on norms that we are already seeing challenged through the internet and a greater willingness of people to share information. Those social conventions are no longer as strong as they used to be. I would question the strength of that social convention when I've seen plenty of parents talk about potty-training their children in excruciating detail on FB, or when you have forums where people do, actually, discuss bodily functions (I've seen posts titles labeled TMI about bodily functions on here).

Eating doesn't have to be walled off behind social convention to be something that people choose to keep private. A lot of people, I think operate from a position of sharing for relevance, where sharing is done relevant to the task at hand. For people with closed diaries, sharing is irrelevant to their purpose for using MFP. So why should they?

Nobody has to do anything. They can do what they want.

I just couldn't understand what the problem with having an open diary was. Doesn't mean everyone has to suddenly fall down to their knees, hail king Jimmer and open their diaries, does it now?

????

You wanted an explanation. I gave you an explanation. I never suggested you were demanding everyone open their diaries. Should I not have taken you seriously, and not tried to give a thoughtful reasoned opinion about why some people prefer to keep their diaries closed?

Yes, you did. And well reasoned it was too.

It was the "So, why should they?" That I was responding to. The answer, of course, is they shouldn't. They should do what they want. And my opinion, or yours for that matter, should be largely irrelevant.

I really only came into this thread to give my answer to the OP. That answer includes my position/opinion that I couldn't understand why people would want to hide their food intake. That is not to prohibit them from doing so, but rather to express my disconnect with their position. There was a lot of huffiness before, which I was surprised by. But then if people are ashamed of their diaries it makes sense they would strike out emotionally when mention was made of the fact. But, either way, there are probably as many reasons for closed diaries as there are members with closed diaries. Just idle speculation about something I really don't grasp. I don't grasp it because I don't come from a place where I would ever feel the need to close my diary....

Gotcha. Yeah, that was meant more as a meh/shrug sort of so why should they. Not meaning to imply anything else.
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options
    i was curious - do you leave your diary open or keep it private? i leave notes to myself in the foods notes, and have an odd diet, so i don't feel entirely comfortable leaving it open, but i can't really see why not.

I leave mine open! But as I don't log my food it's a bit boring!
  • amberj32
    amberj32 Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    Mine is open to my friends. I occasionally write in the notes section about food I entered or if something really affected my blood sugar. If they want to comment on something I've eaten, that's fine. I won't necessary change what I'm eating. It's never been anything negative or mean. I enjoy fast food now and then. I've been losing weight every week. I have T2 diabetes and other diabetic friends how certain meals/foods affect my blood sugar and that's good. I enjoy looking at other people's diaries to get food ideas. I feel like people that don't have their diaries open are trying to hide something and make it easier to cheat or incorrectly record items.
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options
    Perhaps the huffiness is coming from the fact that folks with closed diaries should not feel the need to explain themselves. A closed diary does not mean they are hiding anything, that they are ashamed of their food or likely anything else food related. It means they are exercising their right to privacy. You are the one being obtuse over the issue. You do you and let others do what they feel is best for them.

I agree. They shouldn't need to explain themselves. Except if they venture into a "do you leave your diary open?" thread. In which case, it's probably assumed by the OP that you're going to state whether your diary is open or closed and your reasons. Or else the thread would read like a really boring list that looked like:

Open
    Closed
    Closed
    Open
    Open
    etc...
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    Mine's open.

I'm not sure under what circumstances I would keep it private.

The whole idea seems odd to me - why be ashamed of what you're eating?

Just because someone keeps their diary private doesn't mean they're ashamed. LOL
    I just don't feel it's necessary to publish to strangers on the internet what I eat throughout the day.
    I use this site primarily to log calories. First and foremost. For ME, not you or anyone else.
    The forums and interacting with people here is secondary.

I agree! It is interesting that people thinks that because a food diary is not open or because somebody doesn't put a personal picture in their profile, they must be ashamed of their eating habits or their looks, or they must have something so hide.

What a bout privacy, is that word not longer understood?

To me the whole point of friending somebody is sharing and supporting. If you're then gonna keep your diary to yourself, why even bother? Also I wonder if a friend has a closed diary, what does "was under her calorie goal" mean? 500 out of 1200?? I've not deleted anybody for this, though. I just don't acknowledge the diary completion message
  • miltenbt
    miltenbt Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Mine is open and welcome to all!
  • Ely82010
    Ely82010 Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    Mine's open.

Just because someone keeps their diary private doesn't mean they're ashamed. LOL
    I just don't feel it's necessary to publish to strangers on the internet what I eat throughout the day.
    I use this site primarily to log calories. First and foremost. For ME, not you or anyone else.

I agree! It is interesting that people thinks that because a food diary is not open or because somebody doesn't put a personal picture in their profile, they must be ashamed of their eating habits or their looks, or they must have something so hide.

To me the whole point of friending somebody is sharing and supporting. If you're then gonna keep your diary to yourself, why even bother? Also I wonder if a friend has a closed diary, what does "was under her calorie goal" mean? 500 out of 1200?? I've not deleted anybody for this, though. I just don't acknowledge the diary completion message

My diary is open to my friends, and I wrote that in another page, not to the rest of the people in MFP. But I do have some friends that keep their diaries private, and that is OK and it doesn't hinder our friendship. It s their choice and I respect that. When they close their diaries I comment them for logging. That is all!

My point is that some people thinks that because diaries are not open to the public, members have something to hide or are ashamed of their eating habits. I am proud of what and how I eat, I just don't care to show it to the whole community, just like my profile is private, I have no personal pictures posted in this website, and I am not in Facebook or any other social media. My choice.
  • Booksandbeaches
    Booksandbeaches Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    Why this assumption that if the diary is closed the person is ashamed of the food choices? It's not about that at all. It's about privacy and personal accountability. Shame isn't even a reason why I keep my diary closed.
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    Mine's open.

My diary is open to my friends, and I wrote that in another page, not to the rest of the people in MFP. But I do have some friends that keep their diaries private, and that is OK and it doesn't hinder our friendship. It s their choice and I respect that. When they close their diaries I comment them for logging. That is all!

My point is that some people thinks that because diaries are not open to the public, members have something to hide or are ashamed of their eating habits. I am proud of what and how I eat, I just don't care to show it to the whole community, just like my profile is private, I have no personal pictures posted in this website, and I am not in Facebook or any other social media. My choice.

Meh. How do you know they logged anything?

I don't have any comment about being ashamed or not. Even the person who posted it has clarified his statements I'd say we've beat that horse to death
  • LassoOfTruth
    LassoOfTruth Posts: 735 Member
    Options
    Mine is open to my friends.

I post notes on my diary too and have a lot of recipes, so it is weird sometimes...

but, we're all here to help... if someone makes a mean-spirited comment, just let it go...
  • HannahLynn91
    HannahLynn91 Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    I leave mine open.

When I first started I was tempted to keep it closed. I didn't want people looking at what I ate and judging me for it.

But I soon realized the value of having an open diary. Not only does it help when you need advice on something related to eating, but I also really enjoy peeking at other people's diaries and getting idea's for meals and just seeing what they are eating to get to their goal.

I think that it has really helped me in a way, to also be more accountable as to what I eat.
  • shanahz
    shanahz Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    I leave mine open. I love looking at my friend's diaries to get ideas for my self. I find that is really helpful. It is also interesting to see what my friends eat throughout the day.
  • joansjourney
    joansjourney Posts: 110
    Options
    I've used MFP for almost four years except while pregnant and because I only used the app I just discovered the forums. Food logging has always been a personal journey for me and I use it for that so my diary is closed. I am no where near ashamed of what I eat and share my journal with my nutritionist every month so I feel no need to share it with others.

I have seen the "diary open" requirement from a lot of individuals and find that extremely odd, there are many other ways to support people on their journeys besides snooping their diary. Just my opinion on the subject.
  • ROBINSTL67
    ROBINSTL67 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Fascinating conversation, so I just opened mine. Just please don't judge that I have PBR listed as breakfast last Saturday! It was post-midnight and I didn't want it on Friday's total.
  • Deipneus
    Deipneus Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    Like I say, I don't get it.

Perhaps you can explain it to me, since you appear to have a better handle on it than me?
    Don't feel like explaining my food choices. I don't understand the need to read and comment on other people's diaries. Or care that some of us keep them closed. Why does anyone care? Maybe you can explain that to me.

I don't care. The question was "do you leave your diary open?" My answer was: "yes". But I didn't understand why anyone would close theirs. It really is that simple. Someone ****ed in your corn flakes this morning?
    You apparently haven't been following this thread all the way through.
  • BobbiTracey
    Options
    Mine's open to friends only and has been open since I joined. I like getting feedback from people on my friends list and having other people see what I eat helps me keep on track :)
  • allaboutthecake
    allaboutthecake Posts: 1,534 Member
    Options
    Open.
  • AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    Sure. I have nothing to hide. :)
  • amy8400
    amy8400 Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    Mine's open and I'm glad it is. I've been on a plateau for almost 8 weeks and today I asked my friends to give me some ideas to break through. I got some very encouraging and helpful advice from more "senior" MFPers.

I have MFP friends with open and closed diaries, though I've noticed that I communicate and connect better with those who are open-diaried. It's like we have more to talk about, I guess.
  • codycsweet
    codycsweet Posts: 1,019 Member
    Options
    When I first started a year ago it was closed but I now have it open and I'm happy it is keeps me accountable since I log everything

Leave it open
    The other day I went through so e to get an idea of what to have for lunch. I have tried some different foods because of others open diaries.