Losing steam while calorie counting

Options
Hi,
I have been logging on this site for 20+ days now. Unfortunately, I am losing steam and plain bored of thinking of what goes in my mouth. My eating out is at minimum and even if I do eat out, I am calorie-conscious.
Not that this is a bad thing, but I am missing the good old days where I ate whatever I wanted when hungry and went out and had fun without thinking of calories. I know, I know, that's the reason I got fat in the first place, but I am getting bored of this lifestyle change.
How did you all cope with it? Do the ones who are consciously counting have urges to pig out? If so, how do you deal with them? Is it ok to have a day off from calorie counting? Do you hate yourself the next day or will that cause a person to fall off the wagon?
Sorry, too many questions!
:)
Thankfully, I still go to gym 6 days a week and actually look forward to it. That's a lifestyle change I will gladly follow.

Replies

• mummma
    mummma Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    i have the urge all the time! but i keep reminding myself that i dont want to keep starting over. going round in circles all the time! i wanna get to my goal and pigging out isnt gunna get me there. i do eat 'bad' stuff but i make sure i log it and if i want to indulge then ill spend an extra 20 minutes on the treadmill. it does get a little boring but it works. keep it up x
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    The only time I didn't log in my one year here was when I was in the DR for a week and didn't have internet access.

I didn't lose steam because I wanted the weight gone.

I wont lose steam because I don't want to gain it back.

There is only one way to ensure those two things happen for me...logging accurately and consistently.

My profile says "you either want it or you don't"...

No I don't have the urge to pig out...if I eat too much I am uncomfortable...I don't like feeling uncomfortable. Besides I eat what I want in reasonable portions when I want it so I don't get those urges...
  • cincysweetheart
    cincysweetheart Posts: 892 Member
    Options
    One of the major benefits of calorie counting is that it helps you be aware of proper portion sizes and to be aware of what you are putting in your mouth. And it teaches you about how much you can eat in a sitting and in a day. If you think you have a grasp on proper portion sizes and you know about how much you can eat… and you can also control any "grazing," then try it. Maybe just for a week. Then weigh yourself and find out how you've done. If it works for you… then great. But you must keep disciplined on it…. because it does't take much before you have "gradually" slid back into old habits. Calorie counting helps with that discipline. If you can do it without it…. then do it. But stay on top of it. Keep track of your weight. If you find yourself not losing… or gaining, then you can always go back to calorie counting. Find a way to make it livable for you. This has got to be lifestyle change, so you find the program and make those changes that you can live with for the rest of your life.
  • elliej
    elliej Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    Sorry to be harsh but losing weight is like 80% will power and decision making. No one is making you lose weight, just like no one will stop you putting it on. If you want to keep eating unhealthily and at a calorie surplus and keep putting on weight then you will. If you want to change then you will.

That said, there is a chance your cals are set too low. If you're hungry and miserable try upping your cals by 50-100 per day. It may help keep you on track and will only slow your progress very slightly.

Make sure you eat foods you like with foods that 'bore' you; just fit those foods you want into your calories for the day, make sure you hit your macros, and continue your gym going/healthy lifestyle.
  • evileen99
    evileen99 Posts: 1,564 Member
    Options
    Have you made your goal so aggressive (and thus limited your daily calories) that there is no room for treats? You can eat anything you want and still lose weight--moderation--and not feeling deprived helps you stay on track.

I had potato chips and oreos yesterday and without going over my goal.
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    What's your calorie goal?

I find if my goal is too low, I start to lose focus. You begin to feel deprived, etc. Also, I eat all the foods. Fast food, restaurant food, home cooked, whatever. As long as it fits in my calorie goal (and some days not, there's nothing wrong with going over every once in a while), I'll eat it. I 100% agree with eating the foods you like/love. If you want some chocolate cake, eat it. Yes, nutritionally, it might not do much for you, but it'll do wonders for you mentally. Don't cut things out, just work them in.
  • KNarrainen
    KNarrainen Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Sorry to say this, but 20+ days is not really a very long time.

Try and focus on why you are doing this, and as others have said calorie counting is about being aware of what you eat and portions, I don't think you have been doing it long enough to work it out for yourself yet.

At the same time, the odd day here and there will not hurt you in the long run as long as you are counting on the other days.

The longer you count properly the more successful you will be at estimating when you stop strictly counting
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    i would understand if it's been twenty MONTHS... but it's been twenty days.

this is a long term thing. you're just getting started. it can take time to change your mindset.
  • FlaxMilk
    FlaxMilk Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    You ask about taking a day off from calorie counting. That never ends up well for me. If you want to eat a day without logging first, try it, but make sure you remember what you eat and then log it at the end of the day. Sometimes it's a big reminder of why we calorie count. There's a certain joy in unrestrained eating, so it makes sense that you miss it. Remind yourself when struggling that you have to pick your happy. (There will be days where the not calorie counting will win. Life isn't about making a decision for every day that will always be the same.)

You might like a fitness tracking device. It has kept me more motivated to count my calories since I like all the feedback I get about my weight loss (or gain) and want to make sure my account has the most info available to it. There's one called a Shine out that looks pretty cool, and brands like Fitbit or Polar have been around for awhile.
  • mkflores7035
    Options
    I was too strict on myself for months.....counting calories, fat. staying away from any junk food. I would even throw away food at work, that co-workers brought, if it was left out. i lost weight, but when i fell off the wagon i fell hard, and now i'm having to work harder. I would say don't deprive yourself, just limit yourself. but each of us have different weakness, and strengths. we can help each other.
  • beckmoir
    beckmoir Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    i'm probably going to get a lot of negative feedback for this, but i don't count calories anymore. i was in the same boat as you. it's boring and repetitive. you should definitely do it for a while. it does help, i'm not saying it doesn't,but do it long enough that you learn more about portion sizes, and so you're more aware of what you're putting into your body. i don't count calories, but i'm always aware of what i'm eating. i still make smart decisions, i still read the label/nutritional info before i eat anything. i also take my bike out every day, i walk my dogs, i do jillian michaels videos. stay active and stay aware of what you're eating. this might not be the greatest advice, but i lost 70 pounds this way. i will probly never count calories again.
  • lissaann29078
    lissaann29078 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I'm not a fan of counting calories but I do like keeping a food journal. It really helps to see what your eating and how much you are really putting into your body. I don't want to write down something I shouldn't have eaten, but I do anyway. It's really important that you find what works best for you. We are all different, but also keep in mind that calories aren't the only thing you should be keeping track of(sugar/sodium/carbs/fat content). I could go on and on, but I'm going to stop right here. Good Luck to you!
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    i would understand if it's been twenty MONTHS... but it's been twenty days.

this is a long term thing. you're just getting started. it can take time to change your mindset.
    This
    it takes a while to form good habits. In the 15 months I've been doing this calorie counting is just a habit I don't even think about it now. I have my most common recipes already in MFP and I just do it. I'm pretty sure if I did stop for a while I would be fine but it's a thing that takes me a few minutes every day so at present I'm keeping going.

I'm sorry if your thinking like this ater 20 days it sounds like you're looking for excuses. Take a step back think about what your doing and why you are and move on. I'm afraid there are no shortcuts

Good Luck
  • misstweedy
    misstweedy Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I don't know what your calorie goal is but it sounds like you are trying to make too big a change in one go. What works for me is that I have a fairly generous calorie allowance so that I am able to fit in most things (not all in the same day). Because I know that theoretically I can eat anything I want I don't feel deprived. On the other hand, calorie counting has given me a much better idea of portion size so even if I take a break from logging (for instance because I am going on holiday), I find I automatically stick to smaller portions and am quite happy with that. But it takes a while to re-calibrate your sense of what a sufficient portion size is, so I'd suggest sticking a bit longer with the calorie logging but maybe adjust your goals, both in terms of calorie count and types of food you're allwing yourself.
  • Annie_01
    Annie_01 Posts: 3,096 Member
    Options
    Hi,
    I have been logging on this site for 20+ days now. Unfortunately, I am losing steam and plain bored of thinking of what goes in my mouth. My eating out is at minimum and even if I do eat out, I am calorie-conscious.
    Not that this is a bad thing, but I am missing the good old days where I ate whatever I wanted when hungry and went out and had fun without thinking of calories. I know, I know, that's the reason I got fat in the first place, but I am getting bored of this lifestyle change.
    How did you all cope with it? Do the ones who are consciously counting have urges to pig out? If so, how do you deal with them? Is it ok to have a day off from calorie counting? Do you hate yourself the next day or will that cause a person to fall off the wagon?
    Sorry, too many questions!
    :)
    Thankfully, I still go to gym 6 days a week and actually look forward to it. That's a lifestyle change I will gladly follow.

LOL @ "the good old days"! Are you talking about the days that we stuffed food in our mouths with wild abandon? The days that we did get up off our butts and burn a few calories? That we kept gaining weight...clothes got tighter and tighter? We felt sluggish...tired...bloated...???

NOPE...at least I don't. I much prefer the current "good days".

Of course I have days where it is harder than others...sometimes I give in to those days...I always however get up the next morning and...start all over again. I want this enough that it is worth whatever it takes to get there.

Yes...occasionally I have days where I want to toss the scale in the trash...delete MFP from my computer...etc etc...I want the enough to work my way through those times.

You ask how one copes...for me...remembering what those so called "good old days" felt like. Fat...out of shape...not doing the things that I wanted to do...not being able to fit in to my clothes...having to where clothes that I felt dumpy in...most of all...I think about what I want out of whatever amount of life that I have ahead of me.

It is not about the "good old days"...at least for me...it is about the "good new days" that lie ahead.

Your choice...lose or not lose...count or not count...the "good old days" or the "good new days". Pick one and then quit feeling sorry for yourself. Don't mean to be snarky but that is what you are doing. You have been at this for 20+ days...I have been at this for 10 months...many here have been at this for a few years...did you really expect us to feel sorry for you?

Okay...hopefully that is my snarkiness for the day...but probably not...I usually shoot for twice a day at least.
  • knitapeace
    knitapeace Posts: 1,013 Member
    Options
    What motivates you? What motivates me is results, which are minimal at best after only 20 days. Give it a chance to work and see if success doesnt help push you toward greater success.
  • doctorsookie
    doctorsookie Posts: 1,084 Member
    Options
    What's your calorie goal?

I find if my goal is too low, I start to lose focus. You begin to feel deprived, etc. Also, I eat all the foods. Fast food, restaurant food, home cooked, whatever. As long as it fits in my calorie goal (and some days not, there's nothing wrong with going over every once in a while), I'll eat it. I 100% agree with eating the foods you like/love. If you want some chocolate cake, eat it. Yes, nutritionally, it might not do much for you, but it'll do wonders for you mentally. Don't cut things out, just work them in.

NAILED IT!!! This is one reason I love you girl. I could not have said it better. Now get out if my head. :-P
  • bepeejaye
    bepeejaye Posts: 775 Member
    Options
    I like challenges - well, not all, but those small ones that seem nearly impossible.
    To me, MFP calorie counting is like a challenge...a life-changing one of course, but I want to see how far I can go with it.

I am on day 332 of logging, and I must say, after a while, it does become second-nature. With time too, you have an idea of how much you are eating, in terms of ounce-size and the sort ...

I do indulge, like having wine, spirits, flatbread, pizza, or cookies and etc, but within my caloric goals. Sometimes I go over the daily allotted calories, and I am fine with that...

I think it is all about priorities , choices (lifelong vs. short-term), and doing what feels right for you (with proven positive results). One step at a time...
  • Urumetsuki
    Options
    I get discouraged quite frequently. It does take a lot of willpower to just keep up with the calorie counting, and personally, watching what I eat constantly is never what I wanted to do (but it's a must, in this case).

If you go over your count, macros, etc. here and there, it's not a big deal. Just be careful of the frequency. I know the counting get get grating, or boring, but you can also use the MFP system to plan meals ahead of time, to fit something special in or keep stress down as you eat throughout the day. Just enter in foods before you eat them, to see what still falls in your allowed count for the day. I've resorted to this a few times.

The temptation to just pig out is huge for me some days. It's a lot of self-control until you can train your body to eat differently. If you have a day where you really need to eat something that doesn't fit in, just spend extra time at the gym. I have bad stress, and so am tempted to eat a LOT of junk some days, so I can relate to the feeling of just wanting to say 'screw it' and eat everything in sight. Some days I do feel bad for it, but others I also remember I've followed my goals for a while, and one day isn't going to kill your entire routine.

Billieljaime, your rant is quite uncalled for. Everyone experiences weight loss differently, and not everyone is condescending, degrading, and cold.

Edit: I also forgot to mention: it's better if you can track your measurements at the same time. For me, I had lost 2 pounds, and could see a physical difference in my body shape; the next time I weighed myself, I'd lost inches, but had gained 7 pounds out of seemingly nowhere. Keep in mind that you will gain muscle weight.