What was your 5K time when you started?

Options

Replies

• Kekibird
    Kekibird Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    Everyone has to start somewhere. I started in 2011 with a 5k time of 41 minutes. Now I can run it in 32.
  • kjoy_
    kjoy_ Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    i started at 40 minutes, three weeks in i was at 38, a month after i was at 35, my first official was 34:25 and my second official was 30:25 minutes. i've run them on my own under 30 minutes but not in an official race yet. looking forward to that!
  • Efflictim
    Efflictim Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    When i finished c25k it was around 35 minutes.
  • Samstan101
    Samstan101 Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    The first one I 'ran' took me 50mins last August weighing around 250lbs. I now do my local weekly Park Run most weeks now, the first one I did and ran it all (no walking) was 2nd Nov and took me 37:46. My current PB set a couple of weeks back is 28:36. I have my first HM in a little over a week and hope to be finishing in around 2hrs 30mins (this week's training has been hampered by illness though). I've found my speed has improved as my stamina and mileage has increased. Just keep doing what you're doing! :)
  • scorpio516
    scorpio516 Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    My first 5k was in the 18:30-19:00 range.

Now, 19 years later, I can't break 20:00
  • ladyargentum
    ladyargentum Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I only started running 6/7 weeks ago and have now hit the ability to maintain a jog for 30mins continuously. I was about to sign up for my first 5K but my sister convinced me to sign up for the 14K with the priviso that I only have to run for the first 5K and after that I can walk/run as I choose for the rest. At the moment I run anywhere between 3.5 & 4K in the 30mins. I still have 4 weeks before it so I know I will be fine for completing 5K. Speed will come as I complete more Km. At this point it is all about maintaining a jog for my goal length of time :)

Good luck and all the best for your running endeavour
  • backontheattack
    backontheattack Posts: 3,178 Member
    Options
    I just started to run three weeks ago and i am averaging about 45 minutes. I sprint, jog and walk on a 1% to 2% incline on the treadmill. Not brave enough to venture outside yet..
  • jonny310580
    jonny310580 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    21mins is my PB but I started at the half hour marker
  • apratsunrthd
    apratsunrthd Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    My first (at 280 pounds) was around 48 minutes. My fastest a few months ago was 26:58 (at 200 pounds). I don't run short distances anymore but I hit 25:00 for a 5K stretch on a training run a couple weeks ago. If you want to run faster, you must first run faster. :-P So yeah, train faster. BUT, I'll tell you --endurance pace volume running will pay off far more than excessive speedwork. I follow the 80/20 rule: 80% of my training is at endurance pace, 20% is at tempo/threshold or faster pace. Check out some of Matt Fitzgerald's articles if this interests you.
  • freddi11e
    freddi11e Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    45 minutes give or take. but i hadnt ran in ten years, and i smoked a cigarette walking up to the start line lol. ran the whole thing tho! didnt stop once! i was so proud of myself!!
  • Braincatcher
    Braincatcher Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Thanks, all. My real question is "What time will I need to get up to jog the 2.9 miles (just short of 5K) to my first meeting?" We're lucky enough to have showers and locker rooms at work; I'm just trying to work out the details. I had two co-workers finish Boston this year, so I was inspired to pick up running.

Give yourself an hour. It will be that one run that your body will suddenly use running as an inspiration to poop. Trust me.

Ha! I appreciate the practical take on scheduling.
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    Thanks, all. My real question is "What time will I need to get up to jog the 2.9 miles (just short of 5K) to my first meeting?" We're lucky enough to have showers and locker rooms at work; I'm just trying to work out the details. I had two co-workers finish Boston this year, so I was inspired to pick up running.

Give yourself an hour. It will be that one run that your body will suddenly use running as an inspiration to poop. Trust me.

Ha! I appreciate the practical take on scheduling.

Try posting this question in the Long Distance Runners group - there are people there who commute running and might be able to provide pointers.
  • pyrowill
    pyrowill Posts: 1,163 Member
    Options
    When I first started about 36/37 mins. Now I can run it in 27. Do the C25K program, it really helps a lot of people! I also found the distance quite daunting, so divided it in half so thought of it as 1.5 miles 'there' and 1.5 miles back home. Obviously if you are running 2.9 to a certain place you can't do that. Just focus on getting half way, then think, you are beyond halfway now.
  • Pectinbean
    Pectinbean Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    The first time I ran 5k it took me around 40 minutes! I had to start stop the whole way. I've come and gone from running many times. Getting back into it again and at the moment I can run 5k in 29mins. I'd like to be faster but I'm working on distance at the moment.

Everyone's different, I'd say don't focus too much on times at the moment as I found it led to disappointment. Be proud of covering the distance, you'll do great!
  • GillianMcK
    GillianMcK Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    My first timed 5k was just under 44min on a hilly route, flat route I was 37min 4sec, but I still struggle with that distance, I have discovered that I get quicker over the longer distances, only done 1 marathon so far but even it was a quicker average pace than my 5k times!!!
  • hermann341
    hermann341 Posts: 443 Member
    Options
    Took me about six weeks of training to go from the couch to about an 11 min/mile pace for my first 5k. I was about 235 lbs at the time I started. Two and a half years later, I >>think<< I can do about a 25:00 5k. Not too sure, as I've been concentrating on halves and fulls, and haven't tried an all out 5k lately.
  • timeasterday
    timeasterday Posts: 1,368 Member
    Options
    I started running in pretty good shape and 7 weeks later ran my first 5K in 26:44. That was 18 months ago and now I just hit 21:15 for my last 5K.
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    First started running, 5K was about 29min. After I came back in Jan 2013, it was 24min, May 2014 it is 19:35.
  • pope66682
    pope66682 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    My first a few years ago was 30:28. My best was 23:25. That was about a year ago. I have one at the end of the month, so we'll see where i'm at now.
  • ShibaEars
    ShibaEars Posts: 3,928 Member
    Options
    Like others have said, don't worry about comparing yourself to other people. Whatever you can do is great. Then you can work on improving the time if you want.

But to answer your question, my first 5K was about 33 minutes.