Replies

• Derpes
    Derpes Posts: 2,033 Member
    Options
    I drink lots of diet pop and coffee.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    I start my day with 2 cups of coffee with a little half & half added to cut the acidity. Most of the time I drink carbonated water (plain or with a slice of lemon or lime) but will have some diet soda if I want it.

I drink what I want and count any calories that may be included. No adverse affects whatsoever.
  • No_Finish_Line
    No_Finish_Line Posts: 3,661 Member
    Options
    i drink a lot of coffee and occassionally a diet soda

if diet soda is bad for you, its a general health thing and doesn't really apply to weight loss
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    and the carbonation isn't great for you.

Huh?????
  • CookNLift
    CookNLift Posts: 3,660 Member
    Options
    I persnoally don't really drink much soda any more. I don't like the taste of diet so when I do decide to have some I'll have a regular old soda with full sugar and calories, since it won't kill me, plus i heard the diet crap can actually inhibit weight loss by holding in water weight but that is bro science so I can't prove if it's right or not.

As far as coffee, it has literally like no calories in it, and aside from a little milk in it, I have no problem fitting it into my macros, since it's only like 12 or 15 calories with the milk so it's almost has no impact on my macros and calories. If you drink it with little to no sweetener in it I don't see why it should be an issue. If you use a lot of the heavy duty sweetened creamer or tons of sugar and cream, it can be a little annoying since it's so many calories, but perhaps you could use artifical sweeteners and opt for either

a.) flavored coffee
    b.) better quality coffee
    c.) use alternatives to sweetened creamers
  • ajff
    ajff Posts: 986 Member
    Options
    Black coffee, dark roast, has always been my luxury. No crying kid or bad day at work can take that way (except for the time one of my students tipped over my travel mug! The room gasped, they knew!!!! But all was fine, I'd drank half anyway, and he cleaned it up!)

In the summer unsweetened iced tea must pulse through my veins for as much as I drink.

I never drank soda, but once I started eating 1500 calories I needed something else. I started drinking fruit flavored seltzer water (0 calories - like Canada Dry). It seemed like a treat and distracted me from wanting to eat everything I saw. Now it is a staple, but I'm going to try and wean myself off it over the summer. Just because I don't want to NEED it.
  • AlyssaJoJo
    AlyssaJoJo Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    I drink a very big coffee every morning with some half and half a .5 tsp surgar and then a diet soda with lunch every day. I love water, but not enough to have that be ALL i drink all day long. I love my health, but in the end I'm not willing to give up every single thing that people deem "bad" for it. There's plenty of people out there with a clean bill of health that drink these things.
  • heathl39
    heathl39 Posts: 46
    Options
    Soda in gereral is not that great for you. I use to drink so much soda, but over the last year I have cut it down to maybe 2-3 glasses a month and I drink regular soda. I hear nothing good about diet soda and I don't drink enough of it to worry about the calories( just track it) As far as coffee, all day everyday and believe me the world thanks me for it. I am a bit grouchy without it. Moderation is the key.
  • JGonzo82
    JGonzo82 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    I love that Mio stuff (the calorie-free "liquid water enhancer") especially since the water out of the fountain here at the office tastes a little funky - I've found if my water has a bit of flavor, I drink much more throughout the day.
    As far as diet sodas go though, the nutrition/training coach I worked with in the past said that he drinks diet sodas & at no point in my regimen except for the very last week did he tell me that they were off-limits. Black coffee was fine too, just no junky creamers/sweeteners/etc in it.
  • kdeaux1959
    kdeaux1959 Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    I've lost over 100 lbs and never stopped drinking caffeine. While I believe it would be good to limit or moderate my use of caffeine, it has has not kept me from losing weight and I will admit that I drink too much of it for my general health and welfare. :wink:
  • salmat77
    salmat77 Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    Yes, I have one LARGE cup of coffee in the morning at work. This contributes to the safety and well being of my co-workers. Because I use a lot of cream and sugar it takes up 288 of my daily calories, but I don't mind that sacrifice.

too funny and totally me!!
  • indignantgnome
    indignantgnome Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Up until a couple of days ago, I was working in food service and we have crappy local water, so I basically was living off of Diet Dr. Pepper while at work. My other favorite go-to, even though it's non-caffienated, is packets of Crystal Light. We usually have 2 or 3 flavors, plus we make pitchers of it to go with dinner.
  • KaelaLee88
    KaelaLee88 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    I have continued to drink coffee and diet pop in moderation during my weight-loss without any negative effects.

The only thing I will say is that as my weight has dropped, my tolerance for caffeine has reduced.

I can't expect to drink 2 or more cups of black coffee with 2 sweeteners (0 Cal) in one day and sleep at night!

Kaela x
  • ahamm002
    ahamm002 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    The vast majority of research performed on coffee suggests that it's good for you. So there is no "health" reason for avoiding it. The jury is still out on diet soda. It's probably not a great idea to regularly replace water with diet soda, but a can here and there won't do any harm.
  • abbyblackcft
    Options
    It isn't about the number on the scale, but the fact that Diet Soda is just so Fing bad for you! DON'T DRINK IT! I have never drank diet soda and never will.... AND run from anything artificial...your body will thank you.
  • amandzor
    amandzor Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    I start most weekdays with coffee. I brew it at home with a French press and end up with about 12oz which I take to work.

I wish I could drink it black, but I add carefully measured tbsps of reduced calorie creamer. I'm working on lowering the amount of creamer.

No soda, but they do have water flavorings that I have instead. Little containers of concentrated goodness, and you add a few drops for nums. Plus, it helps get my daily water up.
  • 87Djones
    87Djones Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Sound like you have coffee withdrawal which is most likely causing the headaches. I primary drink green or oolong tea everyday but to give my body a shock I will enjoy espresso shot to change things up. Instead of soda I will make a pitcher of tea and add fresh fruit for flavor.
  • Frayde
    Frayde Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    http://healthyliving.msn.com/health-wellness/7-side-effects-of-drinking-diet-soda

Some evidence from such places as Harvard and Perdue.
  • parkscs
    parkscs Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    http://healthyliving.msn.com/health-wellness/7-side-effects-of-drinking-diet-soda

Some evidence from such places as Harvard and Perdue.

So scary! All those "mights," "coulds" and other uncertainties really drive their point home - diet soda, in and of itself, isn't proven to inhibit weight loss in any way, shape or form. Suggesting your body "might" think it's actual sugar and that would trigger a "craving", leading you to overeat (I suppose you should avoid sugar too, right, since that really would trigger a "craving"!), is all but meaningless if you're tracking your diet and eat a caloric deficit. I do agree with brushing your teeth after a diet soda, but in terms of weight loss it's entirely irrelevant provided your diet is in check.

Edit: And while I'm not big on correcting spelling/grammar, it's Purdue. Perdue is a chicken processing company and I doubt they spend a lot of time researching diet cola.
  • rugrat1mi
    rugrat1mi Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I never learned to drink coffee and can't bear the taste of artificial sweeteners so I very rarely drink caffeine anymore. 1/2 of a Vivarin and a glass of water seems to be an acceptable substitute for an ice cold Coke when I need a jolt of caffeine. YMMV.