Losing steam while calorie counting

Options

Replies

• LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    Options
    The only time I didn't log in my one year here was when I was in the DR for a week and didn't have internet access.

I didn't lose steam because I wanted the weight gone.

I wont lose steam because I don't want to gain it back.

There is only one way to ensure those two things happen for me...logging accurately and consistently.

My profile says "you either want it or you don't"...

No I don't have the urge to pig out...if I eat too much I am uncomfortable...I don't like feeling uncomfortable. Besides I eat what I

want in reasonable portions when I want it so I don't get those urges...

^^ love this and TOTALLY agree
  • sk8trchk
    sk8trchk Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I had the same problem and I still do. You look at other people and see them eating anything and everything and they are stick thin and you "think why do I have to watch everything I eat?" I usually have at least 1 cheat day a week (sometimes 2) but I always log everything so I know how bad I was. I'll have weeks where I lose nothing and other weeks where I lose a lot. I'm looking at this as a lifestyle change and you cannot live without treats, whether it's a glass of wine or some cake or any other thing.

The best thing about MPF is the forums. These people know what they are doing and give loads of encouragement. They don't sugar coat anything (which is good since we're not allowed to have it.) Stick with it and remember the old clothes that left marks around your stomach and how much looser they are now.
  • Annie_01
    Annie_01 Posts: 3,096 Member
    Options
    Yes.

Stick with it, ignore the haters. You are doing a great job, this is hard work.

Sigh...no one expressed any hatred toward the OP. Personally I didn't write anything to her that I haven't said to myself many times. Every time that I have one of those moments that I wonder if it is worth it...I kick my own self in the butt

Counting calories will work for most people. It gets boring...tedious...and honestly...I would prefer not to count myself. I know however that over time...I too would slip back in to those "good old days".

The OP needs to give herself a chance...
  • Iwishyouwell
    Iwishyouwell Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    Well OP, I feel you. Which is the reason why I don't calorie count. I'm not interested in having that kind of relationship with food.

But here's the thing, you'll have to alter your habits in some major way to shift the weight off and keep it off. For me personally that's intuitive eating meets intermittent fasting. Works well for me, but plenty of others would find that as unpalatable as I find calorie counting.

At some point it's just about doing the best you can to find the road that works for you, hopefully one that keeps the potential misery of weight loss mostly at bay.
  • meltedsno
    meltedsno Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    counting calories makes me accountable. I tried it the other way (not counting calories) for the first 57 years of my life... not counting calories packed on a good 100+ pounds more than I need over the years.

Since last year I've counted calories... lost that good 100+ pounds and for the first time in my life I feel like I've just been born... year 1 of being healthy..
  • Iwishyouwell
    Iwishyouwell Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    and for the first time in my life I feel like I've just been born...

What a powerful metaphor. That really hit me in the gut. Thanks for sharing that.
  • dswolverine
    dswolverine Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    It was a pain in the *kitten* at first, though after some time it just became second nature. Sure, there are days where i don't log (special occasions or holidays) but generally i try to log everything. it's amazing how i STILL underestimate what i eat when i don't log everything. It's really easy to forget little things you eat here and there, and logging keeps me honest. I just try to remind myself of the feeling i get when i get on the scale and i see that it's gone UP a few pounds. NOT a good feeling!!
  • DINO1264
    DINO1264 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    then dont count calories and stay fat, your choice. You pick. Will power, motivation, excitement, support, these things are not nessacary for weight loss. The only requirement is calorie counting and whether or not you actually do it.

You will find no sympathy here. People here have worked hard for a long time to meet their goals. We really have no patience for whinners who "dont want to."

You think we all wake up in the morning and "want to"? Hell no, there are days I want to tank a whole cake and stay in bed, skip a workout, or just not count. We all lose steam and feel unmotivated from time to time but we keep going.

So as I said the choice is yours; count calories, get healthier, or get bored, lose steam and stay fat. Your choice.

tough love baby.

This X 10
  • kr1stadee
    kr1stadee Posts: 1,774 Member
    Options
    This might not be "your time" if you are ready to throw in the towel.

Not what anyone wants to hear or think, but it's true. I've "tried" dozens of times over 10 years to lose weight. I would log foods (not here, another site), lose 10lbs, join the gym then quit it all. Gain the weight back and I was unhappy all over again.

One day, I signed up for this site, expecting to not go very far. Well, I was ready and I'm going! Like another poster, the only time I "gave up" logging was when I was on a cruise ship. I'll have a "cheat" day, but I feel like crap so I limit those.

The key is (when you're ready) to not give up everything you love... just log it, make it work!
    If you're ready, do it, stick with it! If not, give it time, you'll get there!
  • MelisMusing
    MelisMusing Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    Keep at it. Pretty soon your 20 days will turn into 40 days, and your 40 days will turn into 80.

Increase your friend network- the more people you have in your corner, the better. My friends list helps me stay in the game- and I've gotten to know some pretty awesome people.

Also, increase your calories. Love yourself. Feelings aren't facts- you can control a feeling. When you start feeling bored, recognize it, and turn it around. When you start feeling emotional, remember, you can't change the root cause of feelings, with food.

You can do this. The whole tribe knows you can do this, because so many have done it before you. Draw on that.
  • staceylw31
    staceylw31 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    What's your calorie goal?

I find if my goal is too low, I start to lose focus. You begin to feel deprived, etc. Also, I eat all the foods. Fast food, restaurant food, home cooked, whatever. As long as it fits in my calorie goal (and some days not, there's nothing wrong with going over every once in a while), I'll eat it. I 100% agree with eating the foods you like/love. If you want some chocolate cake, eat it. Yes, nutritionally, it might not do much for you, but it'll do wonders for you mentally. Don't cut things out, just work them in.

NAILED IT!!! This is one reason I love you girl. I could not have said it better. Now get out if my head. :-P

I can tell you that I am on a 1200 calorie plan and am having a hard time meeting that goal. I eat all day long, drink half my weight in water and am very full that I usually end up with calories left over...is that bad? I do eat a lot of veggies throughout the day, but I feel like I get full meals as well.
  • MFPMol
    MFPMol Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    i'm probably going to get a lot of negative feedback for this, but i don't count calories anymore. i was in the same boat as you. it's boring and repetitive. you should definitely do it for a while. it does help, i'm not saying it doesn't,but do it long enough that you learn more about portion sizes, and so you're more aware of what you're putting into your body. i don't count calories, but i'm always aware of what i'm eating. i still make smart decisions, i still read the label/nutritional info before i eat anything. i also take my bike out every day, i walk my dogs, i do jillian michaels videos. stay active and stay aware of what you're eating. this might not be the greatest advice, but i lost 70 pounds this way. i will probly never count calories again.

I don't either. I lost weight counting calories and not counting calories, both, and not counting calories works a lot better for me. Something about feeling obligated to log every. single. thing. that goes into my mouth and knowing I only had x amount of calories for the day made me feel hungry even when was I wasn't!

I eat whole foods, no dairy or grains, and listen to my body. When I'm full, I stop eating. When I'm hungry, I eat something. I know this doesn't work for everyone, but it is working for me.
  • amberj32
    amberj32 Posts: 663 Member
    Options

Not that this is a bad thing, but I am missing the good old days where I ate whatever I wanted when hungry and went out and had fun without thinking of calories. I know, I know, that's the reason I got fat in the first place, but I am getting bored of this lifestyle change.
    How did you all cope with it? Do the ones who are consciously counting have urges to pig out? If so, how do you deal with them? Is it ok to have a day off from calorie counting? Do you hate yourself the next day or will that cause a person to fall off the wagon?

You can still go out to eat and have fun but you do need to log your calories so you know you are in a deficit so you can lose weight. I have gone out to eat and still lost weight every week. You can still eat when you are hungry, just eat less. I have been consciously counting since I've been doing MFP and I don't have the urge to pig out cuz I don't want to go over my calories. Plus I feel like I'm letting myself down and also my friends on MFP cuz they are here supporting me. I don't want to waste my time or theirs. I try not to ever hate myself.
  • OliviaCounts
    OliviaCounts Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    i'm probably going to get a lot of negative feedback for this, but i don't count calories anymore. i was in the same boat as you. it's boring and repetitive. you should definitely do it for a while. it does help, i'm not saying it doesn't,but do it long enough that you learn more about portion sizes, and so you're more aware of what you're putting into your body. i don't count calories, but i'm always aware of what i'm eating. i still make smart decisions, i still read the label/nutritional info before i eat anything. i also take my bike out every day, i walk my dogs, i do jillian michaels videos. stay active and stay aware of what you're eating. this might not be the greatest advice, but i lost 70 pounds this way. i will probly never count calories again.

I actually think this is a good approach. I can see a time when I'll have been counting calories long enough to know what I can and can't eat throughout the day.
    That being said you can't do this if you're prone to having small indulgences that you brush off as though they don't exist. A bite here and a bite there does start to add up. That's why I can't stop counting calories: not yet, anyway. Of course there are days when I get fed up but I feel terrible when I overeat - even worse than I did back when I ate too much all the time because now my body's just not used to it. I'm an emotional eater too, and there are days when chocolate makes too many appearances in my food diary ... but I try to fit it into my calorie goals.
    Think of the benefits and keep using the forums for the times you do feel down. A lot of people on here know their stuff.
  • MsSleeth
    MsSleeth Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I lost 30 pounds last summer using MyFitnessPal and calorie counting, then maintained my loss over winter, and am now 27 days into my goal of losing another 30 pounds this summer (I have lost 10 pounds since 5/15). I had a lot of false starts over the years, but finally reached a point where I am truly committed to do whatever it takes to succeed. While I can get advice from others, only I can actually do the necessary things to cause me to lose weight. So down deep, this is a commitment you make to yourself.

To reach my goal, given my height and frame, I am on a 1200 - 1400 calorie diet plus I do a lot of physical activity. I just focus on each day, and now I have done it long enough that it feels automatic. I really don't have to spend a lot of time thinking about it. I just do what I need to do and then get on with the rest of my day.

Maybe some of things I do might be helpful:

- I used MFP for awhile just recording what I ate without having a weight loss plan. I wanted to see what I ate on average, how many calories I normally took in, and so forth. Plus I recorded my physical activity. This was very informative. I then started reducing my calories, figuring out what calorie level caused me to gain weight, maintain weight, and lose weight.
    - I need variety, so I allow myself to eat anything I want, but stop when I reach my calorie limit. Doing this, I quickly learned what foods are splurges that left me hungry early in the day and what foods kept me full.
    - Proper nutrition is highly important with a lower calorie diet, so I took several online nutrition courses (through Coursera), which have given me the vital information I needed to make wise choices.
    - I eat a wide variety of nutritional foods over the course of a week, making sure I cover all the food groups.
    - I had to redefine what a meal is. Last night for "dinner" I had a salad around 4;30 pm before going out to garden. I then had a small grilled pork loin around 7 pm, and then for desert around 9:30, I had some orange juice placed in a freeze cup that turned it into an orange juice slush. Earlier in the day, I had had an egg, toast with Smart Balance buttery spread, a glass of milk, coffee, bean soup, whole wheat crackers, and an apple. I never felt hungry.
    - While I am actively losing weight, I measure and record everything I eat. This includes building recipes in MFP to get an accurate calorie count. It does take time, which is why I do it in the summer when school is out. Also note that a lot of food entries in MFP are less than accurate, so I do spend time researching foods to make sure the entered information is correct.
    - There are certain foods that are not wise choices for me, so I don't buy them nor keep them in the house. No need to tempt yourself with ice cream in the freezer or cookies in the cabinet, and without them around, I find an apple tastes mighty nice.
    - I find it is almost impossible to stay with my plan if I regularly eat out or eat what someone else cooks. Most of the time, I just prepare all of my own food.
    - I fill my time with plenty of non-food activities that I enjoy that make me forget about eating. For me that could be gardening, hiking, playing with the dog, going for a bike ride or to the beach.
    - A lot of times when I felt hungry, I was really dehydrated.
    - And every pound I lose is motivation to lose another.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    It's a choice I make every day... Keep doing this or get fat again. It's a pretty easy choice really.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    My guess is that you're being overly restrictive. You're allowed to cut lose every now and then...you don't have to be "on" 100% of the time...thinking you will be or should be is a recipe for failure. I've been maintaining for over a year now and I don't log...but I'm very mindful of what goes into my mouth and I'm a very conscious of proper nutrition, namely because this is more about overall health and well being for me than it is the actual lbs...but guess what? Last weekend I had a huge BBQ at my house with slow smoked ribs, pulled pork, brisket, all the fixings and a keg of beer...I had a rockin' good time and enjoyed myself with the understanding that one does not get fat in a day...this is overwhelmingly about what you're doing 90% of the time, not the 10%. I had a great time and the next morning I resumed my awesome and much more nutritious dietary lifestyle.

To that end, eating nutritiously doesn't have to be boring either...I'm a foodie so I like good food...healthy nutritious food can also rock.
  • hellosay
    hellosay Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Thanks all for sharing your tips and insight. I feel much more motivated now. :)
  • littlecrystal
    littlecrystal Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I understand what you mean. I am the same. I cannot keep up with repetetive food or avoiding going out for a meal because I cannot always know the calories. After lots of false starts and yo-yo'ing, I have now started 5:2 - 2 days fast per week and mindful eating on the remaining 5 days. I am yet to see the results but it is much easier, more fun, not boring and I don't need to count calories.
  • caracrawford1
    caracrawford1 Posts: 657 Member
    Options
    Hi,
    I have been logging on this site for 20+ days now. Unfortunately, I am losing steam and plain bored of thinking of what goes in my mouth. My eating out is at minimum and even if I do eat out, I am calorie-conscious.
    Not that this is a bad thing, but I am missing the good old days where I ate whatever I wanted when hungry and went out and had fun without thinking of calories. I know, I know, that's the reason I got fat in the first place, but I am getting bored of this lifestyle change.
    How did you all cope with it? Do the ones who are consciously counting have urges to pig out? If so, how do you deal with them? Is it ok to have a day off from calorie counting? Do you hate yourself the next day or will that cause a person to fall off the wagon?
    Sorry, too many questions!
    :)
    Thankfully, I still go to gym 6 days a week and actually look forward to it. That's a lifestyle change I will gladly follow.
    Completely understandable. You will get to a point where you will relax a bit more and feel more at ease juggling your calories so you stay within budget and don't feel restricted. I don't eat out AT ALL(my budget won't allow right now, $$ wise) and never have any cheat days. Ever. I also don't eat meat and gavnt for years, so going out to eat is usually about finding things I CAN eat anyway. I feel you. Its probably a good thing I've got more expenses lately cuz Im down to eating kale beans and healthy crap like that. I've always worked out six days a week so no change there. Im just training for another marathon so wnt to get back down to race weight. I've lost eight pounds so I'll have to change my ticker. It was a little less monotonous to have a little something I like yesterday tho...a Popsicle bar. :-) maybe try small things so its not so boring psychologically. A little treat here and there.