The more I try to count my calories, the more I binge

Options
13»

Replies

• Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    Make sure your calorie goal is appropriate for you and your activity level. And then work those late night cravings/snacks into your calorie goal.
  • SomeGirlSomewhere
    SomeGirlSomewhere Posts: 937 Member
    Options
    I have struggled with this same issue for years. What has been most helpful to me is to come to the realization that late at night is when I REALLY want to eat. And there is nothing wrong with that as long as I have the calories left for it. Now I eat very light during the so that I will have the calories available for whatever I might want to eat late at night.
  • caminoslo
    caminoslo Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    I am having a really hard time lately counting my calories. I'm entering all of them accurately, but the harder I try to meet my daily goal, the more I end up binging late at night. And it's not healthy snacks I'm having- high fat, high sugar, low quality packaged foods are what I seem to crave. For a few weeks I've really been trying to get my late-night eating in control, but the harder I try the more I give in.

Has anyone experienced this and, if so, how did you combat it? Thanks!
    I stopped counting calories and started counting carbs and sugar. It works better
  • zavrrr
    zavrrr Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I'm really bad about snacking when I'm bored. Something that has worked for me in the past is keeping some sort of healthy snack on hand (like apples), and telling myself that if I'm still "hungry" after I have that, THEN I can go eat the thing I'm craving. That will often satisfy me enough to stop the snacking. I don't respond very well to withholding things from myself - it works better for me psychologically to have something I'm required TO eat rather than NOT ALLOWED to eat, if that makes sense.

The other thing that gets me into trouble sometimes though is getting in a cycle of craving something salty/savory, then sweet, then savory, then sweet, etc. That is the harder thing for me to stop, but it does still help to have healthier options in the house in both of these "categories" so that I'm less likely to run out and get an unhealthy option!

That being said, it does seem like possibly you just aren't eating enough early in the day.
  • amysj303
    amysj303 Posts: 5,086 Member
    Options
    Not sure if it would help, but maybe shoot for a weekly average? That really helped me, if I could plan a couple of high-cal days, I could manage the low ones better and I think the zig-zagging helped. For me, I have 2 days each week where I only have 900 cals, but then that gives me a couple of days where I can have an extra 500 cals in drinks and snacks...
  • kristinhowell
    kristinhowell Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    I have been collecting low-calorie sweets recipes (thank you, Pinterest) so that when I get my late night sweets cravings, I can take some time to bake a bit of food (because, really, who feels worse after baking?) and then be able to enjoy a treat as well. And there's usually leftovers, which are good for snacks and lazy nights that I don't feel like baking. A couple I've really enjoyed are chocolate chip meringue cookies, 22 calories each, and mini blueberry muffins, 89 calories each.

Of course, it's way tempting to go for that huge piece of coconut cake that my parents have sitting in the fridge, but I feel more accomplished when I bake something myself, eat it, and get to know that it is not going to ruin my day. :-)

As for counting calories making me want to binge, I feel that way at times. But I don't restrict myself. I used to, and let me tell you, when I fell off the bandwagon, I fell hard. I've learned to control my portions, especially since I usually do feel full after eating my smaller plate, even though I thought I needed all three of those pork chops I cooked. I also keep myself occupied - that tends to help with boredom eating and stress eating. Lots of little things help keep me on track, and I feel so proud when I stay on track. But, I also do no beat myself up when I'm not on track, because then I have a harder time getting back on it. Just have to stay positive!
  • Barbellarella_
    Barbellarella_ Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    The biggest thing that has helped me, is fitting food that I like into my calorie goal, so I don't feel at ALL deprived.

If you start trying to eat perfectly all the time, you'll be trigged to binge the second you slip up. Black and white thinkers (all or nothing mindset) have the hardest time with this usually.
  • sympha01
    sympha01 Posts: 942 Member
    Options
    1. Consider raising your calorie allowance. Since you didn't state your calorie target and your diary's not open, I can't be terribly specific here, but a deficit of 500 calories might be a good moderate goal. If you are trying to lose weight FAST, remember that it just won't work if you're going to be so miserable from deprivation that you simply CAN'T adhere to your diet. Think big picture here.

2. Consider re-adjusting your meal planning to have more calories at dinner / in the evening than in the morning. There's a myth that eating calories after a certain hour is more likely to lead to fat, but it's simply not true. Meal timing does not have a significant impact on metabolism. And even if it DID, again, it doesn't do you any good to try to optimize your metabolism to increase your effective daily burn 5% if it makes you increase your daily calorie intake by 20%, right?

3. Do you pre-plan your day, or eat and log as you go? Consider pre-planning your day if you don't already, and specifically save calories all day to PLAN for a treat between dinner and bedtime. I wouldn't have made it as far as I have if I didn't plan for a 200-300 calorie treat at the end of the day. Having a piece of toast with a carefully measured tablespoon of peanut butter or a few squares of chocolate seems to send a signal to my brain "okay, you got a treat. happy? eating time is over and you can freaking RELAX now, crazy."
  • ElliTree
    ElliTree Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Besides water, fiber and protein to keep yourself full, you need to find something that is more exciting than food. For instance, sex occupies a larger part of your brain when you're thinking about it. I'm just saying.
  • DCarter1701
    DCarter1701 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Boring but lots and lots of protein leave me stuffed. And I drink gallons of decaf green tea in the evening. And there are NO snacks in the house. I've tried, moderation ISN'T my middle name just yet.

Good luck.

Yep, when I upped my protein and fat intake, cravings lessened considerably. Also, staying away from the kitchen at night, if you can, is great. I have green tea at night while watching TV and have managed to stay away from evening snacks now for 6 months, except for our monthly family pizza and movie night. :)
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    Maybe your calorie goal is too aggressive. 1200 can be hard to do. If it's making you binge, maybe try 1500.

This.

If that isn't the case, rearrange your calories throughout the day to allow enough for a late night snack - something good, that will satisfy you. It's what I do. I hate going to bed hungry and am usually still up 5-6 hrs after dinner. I just plan to leave 200-400 calories free for whatever I'm wanting at the time.
  • jesusarolon
    jesusarolon Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    Go to sleep.

THIS!!!!!! (Try some Almonds to keep the hunger pains away, if you are still thinking of food, it is probably emotional eating)

I thought the same thing.
  • Myhaloslipped
    Myhaloslipped Posts: 4,317 Member
    Options
    Why do you have those things in your home ?

I don't. I will literally GO TO THE STORE just to give into the cravings. It's actually f*cked.

Haha, tis is why living in Detroit helps me. I am not running to the store in the middle of the night for anything outside of an actual emergency.
  • zebacuff
    zebacuff Posts: 39 Member
    Options

Thanks for posting this link. That's the best advice I've seen for addressing my personal binging habits. I will have to save, print, and refer back often.
  • zebacuff
    zebacuff Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I also chew LOTS of sugarless gum and drink seltzer water to trick my body into thinking it's eating. :)

+1 on seltzer water! It's saved me countless times.
  • HolleeERL
    HolleeERL Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    A small glass of milk helps me. But I know some people consider milk the devil. It's good to fill you up a bit and feeds your muscles while you sleep.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I didn't binge, but I found myself gaining weight back after I started logging. Finally, I just stopped logging. And after I did, I lost the weight I'd gained back. Obviously, it wasn't the right weight loss method for me.
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    Maybe your calorie goal is too aggressive. 1200 can be hard to do. If it's making you binge, maybe try 1500.

^^^ this

because overeating and binge eating are a normal survival response to eating too little (in some cases it's emotional but in most cases it's the direct result of eating too little). Most women seem to underestimate how many calories they need. There's a thread on here "your guide on your path to sexypants" which explains how to calculate how many calories you should eat for slow and steady fat loss, while eating enough that you don't succumb to issues like rebound overeating and binge eating.