Diet Soda/Coffee?

Options

Replies

• FunkyTobias
    FunkyTobias Posts: 1,776 Member
    Options

A diet soda is completely void of any nutrition, causes you to crave more foods because it tricks your body into thinking that nutrients are coming but they never do and puts stress on the kidneys from having to deal with all the aspartame and everything else.

LOL. Please cite sources for these ridiculous claims.

Wow...you don't read about nutrition much I guess. I could cite dozens of sources but why bother when you have blinders on.

Lemme guess, rat studies using supraphysiological doses, amirite?
  • parkscs
    parkscs Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options

Oh come on, really? Take the egg for example -- one of the most nutritious foods you can get. 6 grams protein, 5 grams of healthy fat, Vit A, B vitamins, folate, selenium and plenty of various trace minerals and that is only all I can remember.

A diet soda is completely void of any nutrition, causes you to crave more foods because it tricks your body into thinking that nutrients are coming but they never do and puts stress on the kidneys from having to deal with all the aspartame and everything else.

I am far from perfect and still indulge from time to time but let's be real.

Some have speculated that diet soda can cause you to overeat because there's a correlation to people that are overweight/obese and people who drink diet soda, but that does not mean that diet soda necessarily "tricks your body into thinking that nutrients are coming but they never do" which "causes you to crave more foods." It seems like you've done some reading but you also don't know how to distinguish between speculation and fact, as the relevant studies are not nearly as conclusive on this point as you're making them out to be. Reading is good but it's just as important to understand how the study you're reading affects/fits into the greater body of knowledge on the topic.
  • jlgemma
    jlgemma Posts: 23 Member
    Options

Wow...you don't read about nutrition much I guess. I could cite dozens of sources but why bother when you have blinders on.

Talk to the hand...
  • Dr__Girlfriend
    Dr__Girlfriend Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I drink Kombucha instead now. So carbonate, so wow. Seriously it's amazing.. especially the Mama/Hummmm brand. GROWLER FILLS FOR DAYS ^___^ And it has like 30 kcals for 16oz
  • FunkyTobias
    Options

Talk to the hand...

Translation:: "I was making **** up and can't support my claims". Got it.
  • Plornt
    Plornt Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I drink diet coke as my only drink every day. I've noticed nothing bad, I switched to normal juice for a month and I noticed no different. Now I know thats just anecdotal science and is as bad as those stating diet coke is bad for you because "ZOMG UNATURAL CHEMICALSzZ" but really unless I see substantial evidence that these are bad Im not going to bother stopping any time soon since quite honestly there's less calories in it.
  • RllyGudTweetr
    RllyGudTweetr Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options
    Diet soda is one of the worst items to have in your diet. It is actually worse than regular soda. With the amount of acids and chemicals in diet soda (artificial sugars), your better off drinking the real thing.

Soda in general is just awful, and really can make a huge impact on results if you can cut it out of your diet. Although everyone is different, I guarentee you will feel much better without in the long run :)

Coffee on the hand, I am guilty. I have one cup of black coffee every morning, sometimes I add Stevia. Yes, coffee dehydrates you, so if you have a cup, make sure you drink plenty of water throughout the rest of the day! It is certainly a hard habit to kick, but for those of us who wake up at the crack of dawn. need that pick me up by the time we get to work. It does in fact speed up your metabolism, but it can take nutrients out of your blood if you don''t stick to that minimum amount of daily water intake.
    Pretty much the exact opposite of all of the above is true.
  • jlgemma
    Options

Talk to the hand...

Wrong. Translation: I have wasted too much time on this already. #lost cause
  • 123losinforme
    123losinforme Posts: 73 Member
    Options

Talk to the hand...

• levitateme
    levitateme Posts: 999 Member
    Options

Talk to the hand...

You should spend your time educating yourself.

I drink coffee and diet coke every day. There's nothing harmful in either, unless you have some kind of heart condition and have to monitor caffeine.
  • jlgemma
    Options

Oh come on, really? Take the egg for example -- one of the most nutritious foods you can get. 6 grams protein, 5 grams of healthy fat, Vit A, B vitamins, folate, selenium and plenty of various trace minerals and that is only all I can remember.

I am far from perfect and still indulge from time to time but let's be real.

Some have speculated that diet soda can cause you to overeat because there's a correlation to people that are overweight/obese and people who drink diet soda, but that does not mean that diet soda necessarily "tricks your body into thinking that nutrients are coming but they never do" which "causes you to crave more foods." It seems like you've done some reading but you also don't know how to distinguish between speculation and fact, as the relevant studies are not nearly as conclusive on this point as you're making them out to be. Reading is good but it's just as important to understand how the study you're reading affects/fits into the greater body of knowledge on the topic.

That's cute but before you try and school me, you should quit speculating yourself as to what I know or understand. Regardless, the main point I was trying to convey is that there is no comparison to the nutrients found in an egg to that of a diet soda which has zero health benefits.
  • parkscs
    Options
    It's cute but before you try and school me, you should quit speculating yourself as to what I know or understand. Regardless, the main point I was trying to convey is that there is no comparison to the nutrients found in an egg to that of a diet soda which has zero health benefits.

If you don't want people to speculate as to what you know, don't misrepresent as facts what others have merely speculated and hypothesized. :wink: But sure, to be fair, you could understand those studies perfectly well and simply erred in your post.

In terms of health benefits of soda, eggs are not inherently healthy or unhealthy nor is soda. What matters for health is your diet and exercise routine as a whole and there's absolutely no reason a healthy diet can't include both eggs and soda.
  • jlgemma
    Options

Talk to the hand...

I drink coffee and diet coke every day. There's nothing harmful in either, unless you have some kind of heart condition and have to monitor caffeine.

Wow...Nice retort. And again missing the point.

Testing, testing, is this thing on?
  • Sebismom
    Sebismom Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Go ahead and drink coffee if you like and want the caffeine. I'd skip the diet soda if I were you. It's just so full of chemicals/artificial sweeteners. You're better off drinking regular cola over the diet stuff in that regard. If the caffeine doesn't give you the jitters or make your blood sugar drop/make you eat more, then by all means drink it, it's great stuff! Have it black or with a splash of milk.
  • jlgemma
    Options
    In terms of health benefits of soda, eggs are not inherently healthy or unhealthy nor is soda. What matters for health is your diet and exercise routine as a whole and there's absolutely no reason a healthy diet can't include both eggs and soda.

Very diplomatic answer -- are you a politician...or a lawyer? :wink:

J/k -- I agree that a healthy diet can include both in moderation. Mine does but AGAIN in a side by side comparison of health benefits an egg wins every time. Unless you are allergic to eggs, in which case my point is moot. Lol.
  • parkscs
    Options

J/k -- I agree that a healthy diet can include both in moderation. Mine does but AGAIN in a side by side comparison of health benefits an egg wins every time. Unless you are allergic to eggs, in which case my point is moot. Lol.

The latter. :tongue:
  • jlgemma
    Options

The latter. :tongue:

I knew it! :)
  • FunkyTobias
    Options

Talk to the hand...

Wow...Nice retort. And again missing the point.

Testing, testing, is this thing on?

So still wasting your time, I see. How about posting evidence for your claims?

Why do you think diet soda makes you crave more food?
    Why do you think diet soda stresses your kidneys?
  • turpenoid
    turpenoid Posts: 73
    Options
    I went out for the day with my mom and I came back to a pretty massive thread! I think I'll only allow myself a diet soda during special occasions... I do love them. Especially diet ginger ale. But I won't feel guilty about my big cup of coffee in the morning.

And frankly, no matter what the science is/isn't with diet soda, don't you all just enjoy burping less without those carbonated drinks? :drinker: I'm just one big ball of gas if I guzzle the stuff. But hey, if it works for you and you feel good, then I won't question it! :)

Thanks for all the advice and replies.
  • jknickk12
    jknickk12 Posts: 5
    Options
    LOL at "carbonation isn't great for you...."

I sometimes prefer a diet, caffeinated something in the morning instead of the usual coffee (which I usually have black). I don't see any change going without one or the other.