Physique or Strength??

Options

Replies

• MagnumBurrito
    MagnumBurrito Posts: 1,070 Member
    Options
    It's pretty equal. Physique may come out slightly on top. I do love being able to pick up large objects that two normal men couldn't lift.
  • Victoria2448
    Victoria2448 Posts: 559 Member
    Options
    I'm already strong...so working on my "look."

I'd have to say overall health and fitness are my main goals though.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,670 Member
    Options
    It's always been more physique than strength for me, although I'm still decently strong. Bent over rows today with 225lbs!!!!!!

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • plm209
    plm209 Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    Physique for sure! Strength will obviously come with it since progressive overload is the only way to get those gainz, but physique is my motivation.
  • qtmonica
    qtmonica Posts: 16
    Options
    Both....Ive never had muscles that you could see by just looking at me, I think that would be nice but I dont want to look like a female body builder just the best me I can possibly be.
  • karenj_m
    karenj_m Posts: 215
    Options
    Physique....I've always been strong.

My real goal is to get abs like JGonzo82 :happy: :happy:
  • Galatea_Stone
    Galatea_Stone Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    To maintain bone density and muscle mass; to prevent muscle atrophy as I fight age while wearing a bikini. I plan to be the old lady at the beach that all the old men drool over.
  • MityMax96
    MityMax96 Posts: 5,778 Member
    Options
    BOTH :smile: form follows function!

great abs, nice work :drinker: :drinker:
  • karenj_m
    karenj_m Posts: 215
    Options
    or "young men" :wink:
  • Galatea_Stone
    Galatea_Stone Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    or "young men" :wink:

Until that awkward moment when a young man hits on you and you realize you're 5 years older than his mom.... :ohwell:
  • George_Baileys_Ghost
    George_Baileys_Ghost Posts: 1,524 Member
    Options
    Both.
  • Nix143
    Nix143 Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    Physique. 100%. I don't care how much I can lift, I care about how much wobble I can take out of my thighs :wink:
  • Alehmer
    Alehmer Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    Strength! I admit I care about physique, but not half as much as I care about being strong and fast for my sport. Victory is better than a six pack.
  • Escloflowne
    Escloflowne Posts: 2,038 Member
    Options
    why_not_both.gif
  • Derp_Diggler
    Derp_Diggler Posts: 1,456 Member
    Options
    I'm 45. My main motivation is to make it to 46. My second motivation is to look good doing it. Strength is a nice byproduct of the first two. I'm probably stronger than I have ever been in my life, but I live in an urban environment so freakish strength is not really necessary on a day to day basis. The next tractor tire I need to flip will be the first tractor tire I need to flip.
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    Looks>>>strength, though I certainly consider both to be important to me. But I love looking good.
  • rsoice
    rsoice Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    If you train for strength/performance and have your diet in check the physique will work itself out.

If you train for physique your diet has to be in check and you wont perform as well or be as strong as if your first goal was strength/performance and your training is based around that.

This
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    Both. I prefer strength.
  • Lofteren
    Lofteren Posts: 960 Member
    Options
    Strength first, physique second.

Focusing purely on aesthetics is like buying a sports car with no engine.
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    Initially it was about physique for me. Then it quickly changed to strength. I've focussed on getting stronger predominantly for the last few years and keeping diet in check, physique ends up improving anyway.

Now slightly injured so I am doing a BB comp. I still lift with the intent of doing more than I have in the past but I suppose my mindset will have to change to physique some time soonish :laugh: