Is it possible to make Greek yogurt taste good?

Options
I have incorporated Greek yogurt into my diet because of its high protein content any where between 13-20 grams. I tried cinnamon and a teaspoon of honey. Any ideas? I will tolerate it for now at least. :happy: Thanks!

Replies

• Laceylala
    Laceylala Posts: 3,094 Member
    Options
    It seem to be its one of those things you either like or don't. When I eat it, I'll chop up a nectarine, peach, pineapple, etc. and put it over the top...or on granola. But then I like it any way I can get it.
    Are you eating the plain? That stuff is gross..the honey flavored ones are really good, vanilla, etc. but then you have sugars involved.

Its like water chestnuts. You like or don't.
  • rueann
    rueann Posts: 7
    Options
    Mix it with frozen fruit or granola.
  • valerie58
    valerie58 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    fruit and almonds
  • ctheslayer
    Options
    Someone posted a similar topic today.

I am a fan of Greek yogurt as well. I prefer the Fage total 0% nonfat plain yogurt because you have more freedom to add your stuff. I like adding trail mix (lots of nuts and dried fruits), fresh fruits or eat it plain with a sheet of graham crackers.

I bookend my days eating yogurt for breakfast and having it for my nightly snack while watching The Daily Show/Colbert Report.
  • jessudd
    jessudd Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I use it like a dip for Melba Toast crackers... or with honey/fruit
  • sd59940
    sd59940 Posts: 27
    Options
    I’m trying to limit all forms of sugar, but if necessary I can throw a fruit in there. I love pineapples! Yes I’m getting it plain. Granola sounds good…

Water chestnuts, mmm…. Not a big fan… I’m open to try anything. It seems to be a part of a lot of high protein diets.

Thanks for the reply!
  • taletreader
    taletreader Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    I've been eating yogurt since childhood (more than a quarter of a century ago), and discovered Greek yogurt a little later. I nearly always buy it plain, though I usually have a cheapo pack of supermarket-brand low-fat regular fruit yogurts for snacks around.

I get low-fat (no-fat tastes more tart in my experience and/or might have more additives depending on brand to make it palatable), either supermarket house brands (cheap) or the UK version of Fage/Total 2% (very very mild, but expensive). Typical breakfast might be some bran flakes or oatmeal, dried fruit, maybe some nut/seed mix, 100-120g of Greek yogurt, and a little bit of milk to stir it all together smoothly. A teaspoon full of jam or some fresh fruit for sweetness. Or a teaspoon of brown sugar. Honey of course or (wow) maple syrup.

Or you can make tsatziki (grated and drained (!) cucumbers, chopped garlic, pepper).
  • yanicka
    yanicka Posts: 1,004 Member
    Options
    l love greek yogurt with real maple sirup mmmm
  • brityn
    brityn Posts: 443 Member
    Options
    I’m trying to limit all forms of sugar, but if necessary I can throw a fruit in there. I love pineapples! Yes I’m getting it plain. Granola sounds good…

Water chestnuts, mmm…. Not a big fan… I’m open to try anything. It seems to be a part of a lot of high protein diets.

Thanks for the reply!

Imix in a pack of dry dressing mix and use it for dip for veggies. Try 1/2 c. Mixed with 1 tsp agave nectar, 1/2 tsp. Vanilla and a handful of your fav nuts and seeds. I love slivered almonds, flax seeds and chia seeds
  • rhodes2b
    rhodes2b Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    No. :)
  • YeaILift
    YeaILift Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    Maybe try fat free cottage cheese? Or add protein powder perhaps.
  • amwoodruff
    amwoodruff Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Maybe you would enjoy treating it like it is a sour cream replacement instead, for dips or on tacos, etc. Really works well.
  • k8tmama
    k8tmama Posts: 58
    Options
    Yes, like the last person just said, it makes a great substitute for sour cream. If you can do fruit, then you might try it in a smoothie--I used to do that a lot to boost the protein. I'd even add it to that no-pudge brownie mix from Trader Joe's, but not now that I'm watching my carbs. :)
  • courtneyerin86
    courtneyerin86 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Yes! If you have heard of The Belly Fat Cure, he has a great idea for greek yogurt. Mix in 1 packet of stevia (sugar free, all natural!) and then stir really well until it makes a more creamy appearance rather than yogurty. You can use fruit, granola or even sugar free jelly and stir that in to make it better. I personally use Barlean's flax swirl which is strawberry banana flavor. Again, sugar free! I mix in about 1/4 - 1/2 cup of plain cheerios usually but this morning I did blueberries and it was great!

ETA: If you are eliminating sugar (like I am) I do not reccomend any of the flavored ones. Flavor it yourself and the results are just as, or better, than the flavored ones.

You can get Barleans and other sugar free syrups, jellies, etc at your local health food store.
  • msarro
    msarro Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    Put it on top of chili or tacos, or mix it with some chives and garlic to make a veggie dip. Mix in honey. Mix in nutmeg, allspice, pumpkin pie spice. Mix in berries.

Just some ideas; I love the stuff so I don't have the problem. Luckily you can usually sub it in for sour cream.
  • jenricher
    Options
    I add protein powder to mine. Depending on the mood im in I can make mine taste like vanilla chocolate or mocha! yum
  • cgrezlak
    Options
    If you can find Yoplait's Greek yogurt, it tastes great and doesn't need anything added to it. Tastes almost like regular yogurt. Tough to find but worth the effort.
  • ellykay555
    Options
    Makes a great dip for grilled chicken breast or skewered beef and veggie kebabs. Mix it with lemon juice, lemon zest and a pressed garlic glove.
  • ashley0616
    ashley0616 Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    I have this for breakfast almost every morning and it really is tasty and has a TON of protein:

1/2 c plain greek yogurt
    1/2 TB honey
    8 mini biscuits any shredded wheat type cereal, I go with kashi autumn harvest because I like it. (Basically you want 2TB of a cereal grain)
    10 almonds

It's filling and the yogurt gets lots of flavor.
  • MadisonLeavens
    MadisonLeavens Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I am totally hooked on Chobani. 140 calories, 0 fat. I like the fruit flavors and use the plain as a substitute for sour cream.