CONCERNS ALL who have/are living with college age females

Options
2»

Replies

• JassiBear
    JassiBear Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    Yes I have dealt with an ED in the past but am at a point where I want to move on from such rigid structure and my nutritionist agrees it could really help me. Any tips on how to aclimate to some less structured but good eating habits?

I think that you should try eating the food pyramid combined with a low GI diet... eat the recommended servings of everything on the food pyramid... so if it says eat 6-8 servings of whole grain, 3 servings of dairy, 3-4 servings of vegetables ...and so on... try to do that.. I would avoid processed foods as a general rule when not counting calories...for some reason they are chalk full of calories that add up quick for little servings... I mean just look at how 12 potato chips equals the same amount of calories as a medium baked potato! GI is the glycemic index, and if you eat low GI, your insulin levels (the fat storage hormone) will be at a minimal...this will also keep your weight down. Please google for more info of course, and good luck, and happy eating!
  • MrTolerable
    MrTolerable Posts: 1,593 Member
    Options
    well one should really scrap the bad food period?

zero processed food - its the only way to get a six pack.

Looking fit is 95% about what you consume, the other 3%is strength training, 1% cardio, 1% supplements.

edit: corrected good - food.

This is wrong, but hilarious.

^sigh.. I guess its true some people don't have to work as hard for it cause of genetics and stuff.

as I was, in my case however this is what brought on the six pack - trying to eat processed food would mess with my discipline and I'd keep munching - so I don't even have them in the house.

and fivethreeone - your about as fit and sexy as a women can get - what would you say is the accurate way to state it?

Oh, I see. "Your way" is "the only way."

In that case, the accurate way to state it would best be determined by you.

I apologize for not understanding the power dynamic here. Too little energy going to my brain, too much to my moosels. I'm sure you understand. But thank you!!

^I understand.

@EllaIsNotEnch - appreciate that, I know however for me - and it could be because I'm prob around 11.5-12.5% body fat (so by six pack I still don't know if its a real real six pack because I have to flex for it to be visible.. but when I flex it looks amazing. But at my current body fat % if I eat processed food - especially if it is high in sodium - so soft pretzel or a bagel will reek havoc on my six pack for literally 2+ days - it makes me a little bloated and that 'little' bloated translates into a six pack that is nothing like what I want.
    I think a huge part of the clean eating is that you feel fuller off less food - at least I do. ^_^ If someone can get a abs eating whatever they want then all I got to say is I'm jealous. :P Jealous of their metabolism and self-control.
  • MityMax96
    MityMax96 Posts: 5,778 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone,
    I am coming to you all because I need insight into what amount I should really be consuming. I am a 20 year old female who is 5'1.75" and trying to maintain my frame after I have gained some weight. Basically I was honestly wondering what do other girls around my age eat to maintain who just really don't count calories religiously. I know people on this sight must be aware of others around them. Please share your awareness to help me out. Thanks :)

calories are different for everyone.

You will need to determine how many calories you need on a daily basis to achieve your goals.
  • MityMax96
    Options

Looking fit is 95% about what you consume, the other 3%is strength training, 1% cardio, 1% supplements.

You can do processed foods.....
    Just have to fit it in.

Like any other foods. :wink:
  • MrTolerable
    MrTolerable Posts: 1,593 Member
    Options

This is wrong, but hilarious.

^sigh.. I guess its true some people don't have to work as hard for it cause of genetics and stuff.

:huh:

Translation:

No processed food + very hard work = six pack

Processed food + not much effort = six pack

Someone pass the pringles and m&ms, please.:laugh: Oh, nevermind. I'm not genetically gifted.:frown:

:D Actually yeah that is pretty accurate in my case - but fivethreeone and MityMax are totally right - my situation is unique to me, tons of people apparently get six packs even with processed food - its all in moderation - right now I'm not exactly there yet..

*passes the pringles & M&Ms to fivethreeone & MityMax and pulls out a carrot* ;DD
  • MityMax96
    Options
    No, I have to watch the foods I eat also.

I love nuts...
    But I know if I eat to much of them I bloat.

If I hit at or over 90 gr of fat for the day, I bloat....takes me about 2 or 3 days to flatten back out.

I mean yesterday I ate 3 servings of Cinnamon Toast Crunch.....fit into my macros for the day, and I am fine today.

So you just have to watch the things you eat and see how your body responds to it.
  • kruch1006
    kruch1006 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I am a 22 year old college student. 5'0, I work two jobs and go to school full time. I've also been gluten free for almost 3 years (allergy). I thought being gluten free would also help me lose weight, as most people do. It didn't. I would not suggest cutting anything, I mean ANYTHING, out of your diet. It just breeds negative thoughts and emotions.
    I religiously count calories.
    Please hear me out, I highly recommend counting calories religiously for a couple weeks at least. It opens your eyes to the true expense of the food being put in your mouth and gives a solid idea of actual serviing size. Plus this app makes it so so so easy!
    I don't exercise much, besides running to classes. MFP wanted me to be at 1300 calories originally and I starved, I upped it to 1450. Most of the time I have 50 cal left over at the end of the day and satisfied. Also netting the same weightloss per week as when I was at 1300. <-- Huge Deal!
    I have lived on campus in the past and eating was extremely hard; everything was fried or high carb (or just gross).
    The salad bar is your friend. I'm not saying to eat salad for every meal (that's dumb and boring), but generally salad bars also have fresh fruit and veggies. Fill up a plate with plant matter you like, first, then have the other food as sides. The biggest thing I've noticed with me: I feel awesome if I get a source of solid protein at every meal.
    So, a normal day for me?

Breakfast
    Coffee with cream and (real sugar) sweetener
    Eggs (any way you like them)
    Sausage or bacon
    Sometimes oatmeal, hashbrown, or more coffee

Lunch
    One sushi roll or tacos or grilled chicken with a small fry

Dinner
    This is difficult as I'm normally in class or work for the entire normal dinner time(4p-9p)
    So generally I just drink plenty of water and grab a snack on the way or at home
    a bag of baked chips, a couple cookies (counted/weighed), another egg, ice cream (measured), salad, a container of fruit, etc.

Hope this helps. Good luck in your endeavor and HAPPY EATING!
  • Linnaea27
    Linnaea27 Posts: 639 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone,
    I am coming to you all because I need insight into what amount I should really be consuming. I am a 20 year old female who is 5'1.75" and trying to maintain my frame after I have gained some weight. Basically I was honestly wondering what do other girls around my age eat to maintain who just really don't count calories religiously. I know people on this sight must be aware of others around them. Please share your awareness to help me out. Thanks :)

I'm several years older than you-- 27-- but I am 3/4" shorter! I think I still eat about the same way as I did when I was your age, maybe a teeny bit less since I have just started maintaining my weight after losing several pounds; I'm using MFP's calorie amount suggestions because before losing that weight, I never tracked what I ate at all, I just ate what I felt like (which was fine for years except during the school year when I was way less active than normal, which was what caused me to gain fat that I didn't like). I highly recommend using the food diary on here to honestly track what you eat, for a couple weeks or a month at least, so you can get an accurate picture of what and how much you eat-- that will be a huge help in knowing what you need to do to gain and maintain your weight as you're going to want to do. Of course, if tracking your food carefully and honestly is triggering for you, that advice is probably not for you.

Anyway, a typical day for me now, at 103-104 lbs (I think I'm eating an amount to maintain at more like 105, but I'm lighter than that right now) looks like this:

Breakfast: 3/4- 1 cup Greek yogurt, some granola or coconut and berries, usually half a serving of protein powder; or a bowl of cereal like shredded wheat and 3/4 cup of whole milk. And often a cup or two of coffee with a decent amount of half and half in it. Usually between 300-450 calories.

Lunch: Leftovers from dinner, or a turkey sandwich with veggies and mayonnaise and if I'm going to be super active that day, some full-fat cheese; or some bread and hummus and veggies and fruit. Usually 400-600 cals.

Snacks (I snack a lot-- I find that being thinner, I need to eat more often throughout the day): Some crackers, cream cheese, or peanut butter; sometimes homemade cookies; sometimes cheese or nuts. Can be anywhere from 200-600 calories depending on my activity that day.

Dinner: some kind of home-cooked dinner-- it usually includes lots of veggies, some cheese or fish, pasta or a grain of some kind, or eggs. Dessert is often a small piece of dark chocolate or some fruit. The calorie amount varies wildly depending on how active I am, since I follow MFP's eating back exercise calories method. But if I've been pretty sedentary, dinner is around 400-700 calories, and if I've been working hard outside or worked out for a long time, it can be 1000 or so.

This really is very similar to the way I ate in college, though at that time, when I was a size I was happy with, I often wouldn't eat breakfast and would have a pretty large lunch and dinner. That kind of eating doesn't work for me anymore though. My food intake generally adds up to 1600-2300ish calories, the lower amount on days when I hardly move around at all, and the higher amount when I have done several hours of gardening or hiking, or I've gone on a long bike ride or run.

Lastly, have you read anything from the blog/information site Your Eatopia? It is an excellent, informative, intelligently written source of information about ED recovery. I find myself recommending this article on threads like this frequently: http://www.youreatopia.com/blog/2011/9/14/i-need-how-many-calories.html

I hope this helps!
  • zoek23
    zoek23 Posts: 15
    Options
    Hi everyone,

I'm several years older than you-- 27-- but I am 3/4" shorter! I think I still eat about the same way as I did when I was your age, maybe a teeny bit less since I have just started maintaining my weight after losing several pounds; I'm using MFP's calorie amount suggestions because before losing that weight, I never tracked what I ate at all, I just ate what I felt like (which was fine for years except during the school year when I was way less active than normal, which was what caused me to gain fat that I didn't like). I highly recommend using the food diary on here to honestly track what you eat, for a couple weeks or a month at least, so you can get an accurate picture of what and how much you eat-- that will be a huge help in knowing what you need to do to gain and maintain your weight as you're going to want to do. Of course, if tracking your food carefully and honestly is triggering for you, that advice is probably not for you.

Anyway, a typical day for me now, at 103-104 lbs (I think I'm eating an amount to maintain at more like 105, but I'm lighter than that right now) looks like this:

Breakfast: 3/4- 1 cup Greek yogurt, some granola or coconut and berries, usually half a serving of protein powder; or a bowl of cereal like shredded wheat and 3/4 cup of whole milk. And often a cup or two of coffee with a decent amount of half and half in it. Usually between 300-450 calories.

Lunch: Leftovers from dinner, or a turkey sandwich with veggies and mayonnaise and if I'm going to be super active that day, some full-fat cheese; or some bread and hummus and veggies and fruit. Usually 400-600 cals.

Snacks (I snack a lot-- I find that being thinner, I need to eat more often throughout the day): Some crackers, cream cheese, or peanut butter; sometimes homemade cookies; sometimes cheese or nuts. Can be anywhere from 200-600 calories depending on my activity that day.

Dinner: some kind of home-cooked dinner-- it usually includes lots of veggies, some cheese or fish, pasta or a grain of some kind, or eggs. Dessert is often a small piece of dark chocolate or some fruit. The calorie amount varies wildly depending on how active I am, since I follow MFP's eating back exercise calories method. But if I've been pretty sedentary, dinner is around 400-700 calories, and if I've been working hard outside or worked out for a long time, it can be 1000 or so.

This really is very similar to the way I ate in college, though at that time, when I was a size I was happy with, I often wouldn't eat breakfast and would have a pretty large lunch and dinner. That kind of eating doesn't work for me anymore though. My food intake generally adds up to 1600-2300ish calories, the lower amount on days when I hardly move around at all, and the higher amount when I have done several hours of gardening or hiking, or I've gone on a long bike ride or run.

Lastly, have you read anything from the blog/information site Your Eatopia? It is an excellent, informative, intelligently written source of information about ED recovery. I find myself recommending this article on threads like this frequently: http://www.youreatopia.com/blog/2011/9/14/i-need-how-many-calories.html

I hope this helps!

Linnaea27 thank you so much for this response! It helps me so much. I tend to under-portion and fear having more but seeing what you can maintain on gives me some hope that I can loosen up a bit. Can I ask if you think it's weird that I have a protein bar every other day or sometimes two days in a row for part of my snack? I mean I like them and they are easy to grab, but is that unusual? I'm not super active, I would say mild like I exercise 2-3 days a week and the other days I have a desk job so not much movement. Could I request you on here to see what some days are like for you? Thanks again!
  • corgicake
    corgicake Posts: 846 Member
    Options
    Going off of what I've seen of college age female coworkers...

Either they maintain a lower weight by eating tiny portions that shouldn't qualify as meals for anyone over the age of eight and have bizarre ideas of what has a lot of calories in it (thin crust pizza apparently is evil even if all vegetables) or they maintain a higher weight. Most of what I see falls under the latter.
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    Yes I have dealt with an ED in the past but am at a point where I want to move on from such rigid structure and my nutritionist agrees it could really help me. Any tips on how to aclimate to some less structured but good eating habits?

I think that you should try eating the food pyramid combined with a low GI diet... eat the recommended servings of everything on the food pyramid... so if it says eat 6-8 servings of whole grain, 3 servings of dairy, 3-4 servings of vegetables ...and so on... try to do that.. I would avoid processed foods as a general rule when not counting calories...for some reason they are chalk full of calories that add up quick for little servings... I mean just look at how 12 potato chips equals the same amount of calories as a medium baked potato! GI is the glycemic index, and if you eat low GI, your insulin levels (the fat storage hormone) will be at a minimal...this will also keep your weight down. Please google for more info of course, and good luck, and happy eating!

The food pyramid is out of date, and potentially misleading.

The number of carbohydrate servings a person should eat each day depends somewhat on their size, but mainly on their activity levels. The food pyramid was invented when people walked everywhere and most people did manual labour of some sort. In our modern times of jobs that require sitting at a desk constantly, driving everywhere and sitting on the sofa all evening, the food pyramid tells them to eat waaaaaaaaaaaaay too much carbohydrate. 6-8 servings of whole grains per day is way too much for most people.

If you want to get obese, then be sedentary follow the food pyramid. If you want to get lean, then ignore the food pyramid, set your macros to 40% carb 30% protein and 30% fat, do lots of exercise, hit your calorie goal (including eating back exercise calories if you're doing the MFP method) while trying not to be under on protein and to not be too far over either of the others, and basically eat what foods you like so long as you're hitting those targets, and include fresh fruit and veggies into the mix as well (yes you need to log them, the carbs in them do count towards your carb total).

Also, 12 potato chips don't equal the calories of an entire baked potato, unless said baked potato is extremely small or the potato chips are extremely large.
  • SomeNights246
    SomeNights246 Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    23, in college, recovering from an ED.

How much you will need will depend on what ED you're recovering from. Some people in recovery require as much as 3000. But this is gaining and restoring, not for maintenance.

Now that I'm almost (physically, not mentally) fully recovered, I seem to even out around 1700-2200 a day. Which seems about average for a college aged female.
  • crfeen
    crfeen Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I'm 20 years old, 5'4" and looking to lose about 30 pounds. You can add me if you'd like! I just try to stick to fruits, veg and whole grains but I am FAR from perfect with my diet. I exercise about 60-90 minutes 4 days a week. I'd love to hear what you do!
  • sshintaku
    sshintaku Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    When I was in college, a typical day for me was...
    Breakfast: cereal, toast, yogurt, fruit, etc.
    snack: bagel from the cafeteria
    Lunch: salad, chili, sandwich, maybe a burrito, chicken and rice
    Dinner: some sort of meat, veggie and usually rice. Sometimes a burrito or Chinese food. :) mostly healthy, nutritious things with a few "bad" things thrown in. I also drank a LOT of coffee and walked a lot.

Now, I try to eat out less and eat less of things like bagels and burritos, unless it's a special weekend treat or something. Fruits and veggies are my best friends.